Shia LaBeouf confirms Indiana Jones 5 in the works

“It’s not far off,” says the actor

indiana jones

Shia LaBeouf has confirmed during an interview with MTV that a fifth Indiana Jones movie could be in cinemas soon.

While out promoting the third Transformers film, which opens 29 June 2011, LaBeouf said that he’s spoken to Harrison Ford about the project.

“I talked to Harrison. He said he's staying in the gym,” LaBeouf says. “He said he's heard no word, but he does know that George [Lucas] is out there looking for a MacGuffin [plot device].”

“He said he's staying in the gym, so it means, you know, it's not so far off.”

The last Indiana Jones movie, The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, was considered a massive disappointment by fans of the franchise.

It still made over $700m in worldwide ticket sales, though, so it’s a small wonder the Powers That Be want the franchise to continue.

Previously, LaBeouf admitted that Crystal Skull had “dropped the ball”. Hopefully a fifth film can pick it back up again.

Want more Jones? Or should he really retire? Drop us your feedback below...

Comments

• garyu2

Jun 10th 2011, 9:11

Please tell me Shia knows this because they sent him an email saying "Indy 5 is now going ahead but unfortunately we have decided not to use you again Shia". God, he was annoying in that shocker of a film.

• ChrisWootton

Jun 10th 2011, 9:25

Shia Let**t can f**k right off and take this bag of s**t with him. Herr Lucas needs to go into cryogenic freezing and then get unfrozen everything 250 years so we can show how our future generations how much of a sell out s**tbag he is. ANd if Spielberg doesn't like it? Well he can go in as well... what a terrible start to my day. ARSEHOLES

• colinp

Jun 10th 2011, 10:28

Shia The Beef has a habit of being in films that 'drop the ball'...

Jun 10th 2011, 10:54

Actually Shia LaBoeuf was actually very good in ' A guide to reconising your saints' and its sad he's decided he's turned his back on actual acting in favour of becoming 'the blockbuster kid'. ...Indiana Jones was Lucas' last good idea and his track record since then has been appalling...Howard the Duck, Willow (can't get LOTR? Rip it off instead!) Star wars prequels, Indiana Jones and the wish we went with Darabonts script now.. ....What amuses me is his best mates in Hollywood (Spielberg, Scorcese and Ford Coppola) have each won a best director Oscar and Lucas has to stomach the fact that he hasn't ..."Wheres yours George? Oh right..Howard the Duck..." Bwahahahaa

• Callum

Jun 10th 2011, 11:32

Shia LaBoeuf is awful in everything. Including 'Even Stevens'.

• apo1978

Jun 10th 2011, 11:47

I'm definitely in the minority it seems as I quite like Shia - he has more charisma than many other young actors. Also, I actually really liked Indy IV. Yes, its obviously not as good as Raiders or Crusade, but I'd put it in the same "fun" category as Doom. Oooh, controversial me eh.....!

• ilikescifi

Jun 10th 2011, 14:26

Shia is OK and what is wrong with making another Indy film? They can make another 5, in 3D with alien artefacts, lost civilisations, chinese kids, monkey heads, whatever. I'll go see all of them. Better than all this pirate junk

• alexr

Jun 10th 2011, 16:03

As far as I am concerned, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull was a good idea VERY BADLY EXECUTED. The unnecessary slapstick humour ("I thought that was closer..."), the molerats, the ants, nuking the f*****g fridge (what were you THINKING, George?!), and the spaceship were all REALLY BAD ideas. But the idea of searching for the legendary Crystal Skulls and trying to find out if they're the key to a doomsday machine that the Russians want to get their little communist mits on would have been a great idea. Remember why we all love Indy in the first place? - Raiders of the Lost Ark, a film about finding a box containing the Wrath of God - That was not the greatest movie pitch of all time and yet it worked because for the most part, it kept things grounded and the light humour was refreshing. Perhaps Mr Lucas could delve into the back catalogue of Indiana Jones adventures and commit one of the video games to the silver screen - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis anyone???

• alexr

Jun 10th 2011, 16:04

Apologies - I meant "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls" to all you purists...

• garyu2

Jun 10th 2011, 18:33

"But the idea of searching for the legendary Crystal Skulls and trying to find out if they're the key to a doomsday machine that the Russians want to get their little communist mits on would have been a great idea" Was it? I thought it was utter c**p. I was bored after 20mins.. it was a non-plot. Sure the previous films' plot were generally hokum, but that's fine, have some hokum. But if you're gonna do that you need to have good actors that bother their a**e (Ford looked tired and bored in 4), a witty script (4 wasn't funny or interesting) and it needs to be...*gasp* FUN. As I said, I was bored early on and it only got worse.

Jun 10th 2011, 21:07

Shia isn't the problem here, it's George Lucas who insists on shoe-horning Aliens into the franchise, and including a pointless scene with swinging monkeys.

• writerdave87

Jun 11th 2011, 2:27

Dalidab, if you like Indiana Jones 4, that's fine. It's probably one of the better films you've championed. But don't call other people idiots for disliking what the vast number of people who've seen it agree is a s**t film. Especially if you go on to say you like Howard the Duck.

• Porkchopexpress

Jun 11th 2011, 15:20

There are good ideas to pursue for Indy 5 if they put their mind to it, I don't know if anyone remembers the 'Indiana/Atlantis' games from Lucasarts, that was really good. There were so many flaws with Indy 4, just the premise of Aliens and fantasy skulls, just TOO sci-fi and made it ridiculous to the point of farce. The charm of the original three, for me personally, was the exploration of traditional theology and the fact it was approached with Indy's archaeologists pragmatism searching for a museum peace and inadvertently finding truth behind the myths. Maybe something from ancient Greek mythology?

• Nigellious

Aug 6th 2011, 2:26

I think they should give indiana jones a reboot. Startin from scratch means they can wash away the mistakes they made and start afresh. I also think Daniel Craig should replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

• skira89

Aug 14th 2011, 1:26

Indiana Jones 4 'dropped the ball' ? worse 1 of them? Why was it the worst of the Indiana Jones movies? wait,wait,wait...let me guess, because it had aliens in it. It really irritates me that people can be so ignorant and not accept the most believable of the 4 movies. Yeah I said it. Aliens are a lot more believable than some holy grail nonsense and nazi's faces being melted off by some sort of spiritual entity, yeah thats much more realistic, how dare he put in aliens.Not believable at all. Can't believe people are willing to believe all the other religious c**p but see it as so ridiculous that there's other life out there to the extent that they'd say it ruined an actually quite good film and made it, what? unrealistic? Oh please. Open your eyes people.

• FBRGoyal

Sep 22nd 2011, 17:37

@Nigellious- Sorry bro, ain't gonna happen.. Indy may be influenced by Bond but he isn't Bond.. Indy is Indy and there is only one man who can play him.. And a reboot is unneccessary since there are novels, TV series, comics and video games tied into the continuity so, think again bro. @skira89- You're retarded.. You're retarded to consider this s**t-stain movie a part of the franchise.. You're even more retarded to consider scientology more believable than religion in an Indiana Jones movie.. Please do us all a favour and get out of here, you don't deserve to be called an Indy fan and honestly you can go watch that sad excuse of a movie Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or please just sit your on your f****s watcing X-Files since you seem to be over-obsessed with aliens.. Aliens are cool, but in an Indy movie? I'd stick to the religious themes centered around the Ark and the Grail when it comes to Indiana Jones.. If any retard needs to open their eyes, its you: Indiana Jones is an Archeologist hunting religious artifacts, not a f*****g Ufologist hunting down spaceships and flying saucers. Please just get out you're not a fan of the series, go watch your X-Files.

• skira89

Oct 20th 2011, 15:54

Totally forgot I posted anything on here but wow @FBRGoyal- resorting to calling me a retard, real mature man. You don't know me, sorry for enjoying a movie and FYI I've never watched X-files. I write a pharagraph and suddenly I'm over obsessed with aliens, not at all, I just find them more believable than religion. Thats my view don't take it to heart. I enjoy all of the Indy films even if I'm not into religion and no I'm not an overly obsessive fan as it appears you are, just because a movie diverted from the norm of what you expected it to be doesn't make it bad but you are entitled to your opinion, if you think it was bad then fair enough but if you look at my original post I didn't mention that it was worse than the other Indy's I just don't like that people criticise it for having aliens and say it's unrealistic. Anyway just relax a little, I agree with you that they should never reboot, I can't imagine Indy without Ford. Feel free to comment back but leave out the retard c**p, it's unneccessary and below you.