Sigourney Weaver talks Ridley Scott's Prometheus

“I feel it’s in good hands”

Sigourney Weaver says she has spoken to Ridley Scott about Prometheus and is much more positive about the Alien prequel (which she's not in) than Ghostbusters 3 (which she would be).

“I actually talked to Ridley about this very idea and I’m delighted he’s doing it. I feel it’s in good hands. It’s a wonderful franchise and if they can invigorate the creature, it could have another life,” Weaver told Outbreak Hollywood

“When you find [the alien] in the first movie with what we call the Space Jockey, the kind of strange creature with the elephant face… anyway, the eggs were in its ship, so where do they come from? So it’s like kind of following that storyline with, I hope, another great ensemble.”

We all know what happens when you return that ship – your colony gets wiped out. Here's hoping Scott knows what he's doing.

Excited to see Scott return to his massive franchises such as Alien and Blade Runner? Or prefer to see him tackling new work? Get it off your chest (before it bursts) below!

Comments

• Trickycustomer

Sep 19th 2011, 20:14

The more i read about this the more i think it'll work. The space jockey twist will be interesting to see, i only hope that the story and characters are worthy enough to go with the alien/aliens story arc. Prequels are tricky to get right and i hope this will bring something new to the franchise without ruining the already perfect feel of the first 2 films. Notice i didn't mention alien 3 or resurrection, less said the better.

• Indianabones

Sep 19th 2011, 22:59

Alien outdated? That film is still amazing and the tension it still creates is brilliant! Alien 3 while ok, was just trying to get back to the original story and failed, as this film was crying out for continuation of the story, not a rehash. The first two films stand a million miles apart from any of the other sequels! And no offence to your opinion, but my opinion is that it is a poor opinion.

• murphy

Sep 19th 2011, 23:11

Don't worry,dalidabs opinions are retarded anyway.Of course the first two are the best,three was ok,it could have been better if the studio had let Fincher get on with it instead of interfering and i think Prometheus could go one way or the other it could be totally amazing or it could be an absolute stinker,hopefully the former.

• writerdave87

Sep 19th 2011, 23:26

Don't worry Tricky, Dalidab disagreeing with you is practically a badge of honour. By the way, isnt that picture from Transformers 3....?

• DravenCage

Sep 19th 2011, 23:58

@dilidab - Murphy never said you were retarded, he said your opinions were retarded; that's not the same thing. I, however, think your reaction above is a disgrace and shows that if Murphy did call you retarded, he'd be correct in that assessment. Now, before you do the whole "who the f*ck are you" spiel, take a breath and try and put it across a manner that doesn't make you come across like a spotty teenager who can't articulate himself in a meaningful way, so resorts to numbskull-level insults to cover for his own inadequacies. As for this movie; I'm genuinely excited to see where they go from here and, as an aside, I enjoyed all four previous Alien movies on different levels.

• Murphy0806

Sep 20th 2011, 0:18

Good to see that another murphy is taking the brunt of dalidabs puerile insults. I can now stop taking the baseball bat to bed with me. I really do think this will be a major return to form for Scott and am glad it isn't a direct sequel to Alien. Which by the way is the superior Alien film so far.

• Murphy0806

Sep 20th 2011, 0:23

*prequel. Sorry

Sep 20th 2011, 0:32

Both Scotts' masterpieces are Sci-fi , its good to see him back in the future!

• DuffyUK

Sep 20th 2011, 0:45

So that's currently me and Murphy on Dalidab's "Big C Wishlist".... Good going sport! I trust Scott and all is he doing, either way I will go see purely for what it is; an Alien film. Can't bloody wait.

• badger86

Sep 20th 2011, 1:13

I feel like I'm being double f****d by awesome. On the one side there's the exciting prospect that GB3 will not happen (again)..... and on the other the fact that Prometheus is happening and looks increasingly worthwhile with every drip of info. I enjoy the franchise so much ( personally i don't include AVP) that i tend to over look the flaws in the 3rd and 4th films, hermaphroditic Alien Baby and the f****d up cg xenodog included. But two stone cold classics is still pretty good for any series.

• writerdave87

Sep 20th 2011, 1:40

I feel left out. Dalidab hasn't threatened me for 24 hours.

• writerdave87

Sep 20th 2011, 1:42

http://twitter.com/#!/MrBigDab Btw that is dalidab.

• murphy

Sep 20th 2011, 1:55

Looks like Gomer Pyle.

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 8:54

Here we go again... Beginning to think these message boards are getting linked to the Jeremy Kyle ones... Hopefully Ridley can pull of a classic. I like Hadouken's comment that his best films have been Science Fiction. I totally concur as I haven't particularly enjoyed any others since Blade Runner (I know I'll get some stick for it but I just didn't like Gladiator - there, I said it)! Love the tension in Alien (I don't think it has dated badly by the way) and Prometheus should hopefully deliver.

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 9:20

Quietlife, thats your opinion and I respect that, personally I think Hell comes to frogtown, leprechaun 6 (but not 5, 3 or 7) are stanrey kubix best films and i am highly likely to look forward to the Fly 3: Brundles return, Darkman 8: die die die darkman but i think that alien should be made with the Jonas brothers and miley cyrus to make a super awesome fighting force like what you see on tele..

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 10:06

@ChrisWootton ... you have made me laugh my a**e off this morning, thank you :)

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 10:43

Cheers Trist... Murphy.. I'd care if you died

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 11:07

@dalidab1982 alien has aged like a fine wine I don't know what your on about alien 3and resurrection sucked and ruined the story alien and aliens told so well. I think your off the mark, and as hicks says in aliens "no offence"

• DuffyUK

Sep 20th 2011, 11:09

@ChrisWootton, that was f*****g genius. @Writerdave, cheers for the twitter link. I now know where to go if I ever need to laugh my t**s off. He looks like an alopecia victim... I's that or a pale balloon with a face drawn on.

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 11:28

I think it's fair to say, we'd all care if other members of these boards died ... with just one exception. Alien is still one of the finest entries in the Sci-Fi genre and as far as I'm concerned is untouchable. Watched it again recently and it's still a rollercoaster ride of emotion fuelled with fear and adrenaline. I really hope Scott can infuse Prometheus with the same verve and rawness the original had. If anyone else was directing, I wouldn't really be bothered, but the fact it's Ridley instills confidence ... this could be something really special. Alien 3 & Alien Resurrection had some good ideas but were poorly executed and diluted what the Alien universe is all about. I still think that after Aliens, a film about the Earth being over-run by the little critters would have been a much better option.

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 11:53

@dalidab1982 everyone on here is entitled to their opinion but don't aim yours at other people unless they aim it at you it's just f*****g rude. I made my opinion so don't aim yours at mine and tell me what I should think. Make your opinions by all means but don't tell people they are wrong or make them feel p********f cos that's clearly what's happening here, cool?

• mpg20

Sep 20th 2011, 12:07

Dalidab professes to be ''a kind, caring & funny person'', a touch difficult to call yourself kind and caring when you wish death by cancer on anyone who has the audacity to disagree with your own opinions on films.

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 12:34

death by cancer? Bit harsh don't you think?

• DuffyUK

Sep 20th 2011, 12:46

It's not the first time that he's wished cancer upon someone, I was the first to get that hateful wish. I could say in retort that I hope he gets AIDS as there aint no cure for that bad boy unlike cancer but Im not a complete and utter c**t. Back on topic though, for my disseration I studied the sound design in sci-fi and used Alien as my research which meant I had to watch it over and over and over again. But I can still go back to it and watch it now and love every second of it becasue it is a sci-fi masterpiece. Beautifully constructed and perfectly delivered.

• mpg20

Sep 20th 2011, 12:48

@Trickycustomer - Dalidab's words not mine

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 12:53

Ah man, I wanted to stay up to speed with these posts for once but I guess cr@ppy meetings come to those who post. (I'd totally care if there was any reduction to the banter on here by the way so as Lloyd would say, "don't you go dying on me!") I also have never spoken to anyone who considered Spielberg as "money-grabbing" particularly but I guess there's always a first time. Anyone want to speculate on the quite-probable Blade Runner sequel or do I need to track down an earlier board?

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 13:15

Sir Ridley is doing another Blade Runner movie I'm guessing set in the same universe but not following Deckard. Personally speaking (and that's MY opinion which I respect) Alien is the best of the movies. It gets better every time I see it as does Blade Runner. I'm quietly excited about Prometheus.

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 13:25

(Just for the record I respect your opinion too CW - In fact it takes a very warped one for me not to... *ahem*). I also studied Alien at University and my Girlfriend studied Blade Runner the year afterwards. In fact when I first saw Alien back when I was about 10 I recall never seeing anything as chilling and atmospheric and not sure I have since. (I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" it first time around as I was a bit of a wussy infant but it's now one of the only movies I have on all formats!!) I actually think Blade Runner is one of the greatest movies of all time and looks 10 times better than most overly-CGI-ed recent attempts. Will be curious to hear more about Ridley's return to it.

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 13:40

Apologies mpg :-) I was seeing red and I was a bit harsh too AND THATS MY OPINION anyway I love to talk movies not bollocks :-)

• writerdave87

Sep 20th 2011, 13:49

IT'S ONLY MY OPINION but I'm still sure that picture is from transformers.

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 13:53

Opinions, opinions, opinions... What do you think this is, some kind of debate? Misguided fools. (It is from Transformers though)...

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 14:09

Ridley Scott to direct a Transformers movie? Now that I'd love to see ... in my opinion which I respect so very much! That's my opinion and the very real rumour starts here and if you don't like it you can all die of INGROWING TOENAILS!!!!!! (lol)

• murphy

Sep 20th 2011, 14:12

Thanks @ChrisWootten for the laugh,i thought for a second he'd hacked your account! hahahaha that was uncanny,just like one of his posts,and thanks for caring if i died,and @dalidab don't ever call me sweetie,i just sicked up a bit of my lunch!

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 14:13

@ChrisWootton - be excited, it's gonna be immense! Ridley! Aliens! Elephant Space Jockeys! (They need a better name - lol) The cast list alone is enough to get all giddy about :)

• murphy

Sep 20th 2011, 14:18

Well that's your opinion which i respect very much but your opinion is sh!t and my opinion is the bestest opinion out of all the opinions in the history of opinions,and in my opinion ingrown toenails are not one of the best ways to die my top ten ways to die in my opinion are blah blah blah blah random bo!!ocks

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 14:28

Apparently they are using a 8 foot animatronic for the space jockey? So rumors have it

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 14:55

Ha, love the top ten ways to die Murphy! You're right of course Trist... the cast is spectacular and as Hadouken said Ridley's best movies are sci-fi. Anyone seen the new red band Thing trailer yet? It's not on TF's site but it's on over at Empires.. I had a bit of a rant over it a few weeks ago but have to admit it looks pretty messed up.

• DuffyUK

Sep 20th 2011, 15:05

You say you are all calm and ok but wait until someone disagree's with you again and you will turn into the Incredible Bulk and rage about like a retarded Godzilla....

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 15:08

I heard that Ridley was going to a 3 hour movie about how "planking" took over Megatron's life, leading to drugs and finally, voluntary in-grown toenail suicide but by the time he finished the first draft the fad had passed... He's working on a prequel called "Twilight: The 'Owling" instead now apparently...

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 15:08

Today was worthy of Jeremy Kyle :-)

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 15:17

I know, I have done NO work whatsoever! :D

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 15:20

I've actually been fairly productive today but with an eye on the Kyle board.

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 15:20

Ah @murphy, at least we can engage in witty banter without it resorting to foul language :) I respeckta your opinion greatly ... now please share with us your Top Ten best ways to die ... (including toenails he types hopefully...)

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 15:23

Toenail fetishist alert... what are you? Some kind of disgusting half-breed? :P

• QuietLife

Sep 20th 2011, 15:25

Oops.. that was actually a reference to another message board insult!! Please don't take it seriously!! (Some people have the habit of doing that on here...)

• ChrisWootton

Sep 20th 2011, 15:33

Some of my best friends are Emo, Pagan, Pikey toe nail fetishists

• trist808

Sep 20th 2011, 15:46

Don't worry QuietLife, I have a great sense of humour and I am not taking anything said by you guys seriously, it's only Dalidab you have to watch out for with regards to that ... I think I'll stop referencing toenails though now, just to be on the safe side :) lol

• anant

Sep 20th 2011, 16:02

do my eyes deceive me or are there more than 50 comments for this news?of course dalidab, opinions, respect, s**t and toenails!!!!

• Trickycustomer

Sep 20th 2011, 16:08

and hardly any of it to do with the film in question D'oh

• Murphy0806

Sep 20th 2011, 16:30

I actually had to scroll up to remind me what the film was.

• murphy

Sep 21st 2011, 5:09

@trist808 ok my top ten ways to die in no particular order - overdosing on Toffifee,brain hemorrhage whilst headbanging to Mastodon,Christina Hendricks *ahem* smothering me whilst dressed as wonderwoman,drowning in a vat of single malt,spontaneously combusting with joy after winning a game of russian roulette against dalidab,justin bieber,jordan,jedward and lady gaga,clutching a grenade whilst a massive horde of zombies come in for the kill,not wearing a gas mask while Bryan Cranston cooked me up some crystal meth,kamikaze piloting a plane into the celebrity big brother house while the cast and writers of glee are there,fist fighting a xenomorph,and being headbutted to death by a pod of angry dolphins.

• Heisenberg

Sep 21st 2011, 15:15

@murphy, drop by the lab anytime, i can sort ya out ;-)

• murphy

Sep 21st 2011, 16:00

Cheers Heisenberg,your sh!t is the purest! ;-) Nice hat by the way.

• QuietLife

Sep 22nd 2011, 0:10

...wants in on this...

• Heisenberg

Sep 22nd 2011, 1:12

Damn right it's the purest, why do u think dalidab is the way he is :-D

• ChrisWootton

Sep 22nd 2011, 17:20

Highly unlikely that this thread is still going but I found some onset pics of prometheus on youtube.. looks really good. Very similar to Alien and looks like it could be a mega return to form for Sir Riddus

• dalebiskit

Sep 23rd 2011, 16:27

why does no one ever mention alien autopsy ? 2nd worst in the franchise to my mind.

• leeroy

Sep 28th 2011, 11:50

The first two are both classics for wildly different reasons.Both incredible movies by two great visionary directors.I am very much looking forward to 'Prometheus'.My only concern is the number of 'name' actors attached,I can't help thinking it might have been wiser to keep it more low key and use MAINLY unknowns instead of going with the current in-vogue group of admittedly good actors/actresses who no doubt knocked a little louder on Ridley's door.His name alone sells this movie,we all know that.Here's hoping it's a classic in it's own right anyway and one that can sit alongside the original and first sequel,whilst banishing all thoughts of the two that came after.