Singer talks X-Men 4

Drops hints about other X-Verse projects...

While revving up his latest dalliance with the X-Verse, X-Men: First Class, director Bryan Singer has dished out some delicious tid-bits about his future with our favourite mutants.

Though he’s busy with First Class, it seems that he could also been involved in Wolverine 2 and X-Men 4 in some capacity...

Where did this all come about? Well, Hero Complex ran a commemorative piece yesterday, speaking with Singer and producer Lauren Shuler Donner about their memories of the X flicks.

But it wasn’t long before discussion turned to upcoming projects.

To begin with, Singer chatted about his approach to First Class, revealing that it will mostly focus on the relationship between Professor X and Magneto – more specifically around the time when their friendship started to get past its sell-by date.

“Just doing younger mutants is not enough,” he says. “The story needs to be more than that. I love the relationship between Magneto and Xavier, these two men who have diametrically opposite points of view but still manage to be friends - to a point. They are the ultimate frenemies.”

The flick will follow the inception of the mutant school, and feature younger incarnations of Cylcops, Jean Grey and Beast. No word if Hugh Jackman's near-ageless Wolverine will put in an appearance.

Speaking of which, Singer revealed that he and Jackman have been talking about “a project”, though it’s not made clear if it’s Wolverine 2. “I wish I could be four people,” the director said. “I could make everybody happy.”

Finally, and most tantalisingly, when the topic of X-Men 4 pitched up, Singer said to Donner: “Hold that one off for just a little; I’m fixated on the other one right now.”

In response, Donner nodded and said: “I will, I will … I’m holding it open with high hopes. It’s totally different [from First Class] and it will be so interesting for you.”

Which is all pretty mind-blowing news for X-Fans. After third X-flick The Last Stand went to Brett Ratner and bombed with critics and audiences, it was all but assumed that the series had hit a brick wall.

But now it appears that Singer is not only open to returning, but also actively interested in doing an X4 at some point in the future. Can't blame the fella since his dream Superman gig fell through after one movie.

Now if we could just find a way to rapidly evolve him into a mutant so that he could get all this done in the next year or two, we’d be happy wannabe monsters.

X-Cited by all the X-Men talk, or just plain X-Hausted?

Total Film on Facebook

Comments

• Rosewood09

Mar 19th 2010, 12:14

Forget First Class as that doesn't interest me at all. Get on with Wolverine 2 and X4 (and try to fix the damage to the X-men universe Ratner caused in the dire X3 - can he write Ratners offering out in any way???)

• TheDRQ

Mar 19th 2010, 13:48

I have to disagree with you Rosewood...In my humble oppinion X3 was the best of the trilogoy. Singer ruined X-men. However, maybe he's had some time to really get to know the characters and make a better film. On that, I don't think there should be an X4. Simply reboot the series, only this time lets have an African Storm, A more important Cyclops, a not-so-whimpy Rogue, a not-so-babyish Iceman, and a not-so-pretty Wolverine. Perhaps "First Class" would be the best way to accomplish this. Also, How come no one has realised that "Wolverine" was a terrible movie???

• kaysad

Mar 19th 2010, 14:09

resurrect jean grey

• mattrix33

Mar 19th 2010, 17:18

TheDRQ is right.. I have never understood the baiting of Xmen3,i tend to put it down to people who have never even picked up a Xmen comic in there life. 3 was by far the best of the Xmen movies.

• KerrAvon

Mar 19th 2010, 21:42

I've read alot of X-Men comics, too many it would seem, God Loves, Man Kills and Generation Next from the AoA being some of my favourite stories and X3 was a bag of bob. It had enough plot holes to make Transformers 2 look like a masterpiece, oh and Wolverine was embarrassing.

Mar 19th 2010, 22:27

I hope Singer does come back for X-Men IV. From the sound of it Singer has been approached for Wolverine II but won't be able to do it because of his schedule , so expect Singer to be attached as an exec producer.

• DonisFun

Mar 21st 2010, 9:00

Singer should never make another film.... or be involved in another film!!

• hendrixisgod777

Mar 21st 2010, 14:52

I'm with DRQ and Matrix33. How Singer got away with producing 2 X-Men movies with no Danger-room, no Blackbird, no Sentinels and a Wolverine spending the entire time getting his a$$ kicked is beyond me. At least X3 was vaguely recognizable. Anyone who endured 'Superman Returns' should know that Singer and superhero movies don't mix. My pick for director would be Joss Whedon, whose 'Astonishing X-men' run was the best stuff to come out of Marvel in years and, for me, got to the core of what made the X-men such an entertaining read. Sadly, perhaps in an attempt to be more like the films, the comics took a turn for the worse after X1 and 2 were released. Storm suddenly began appearing with a cropped hairstyle like Halle Berry, the team started wearing biker gear and Rogue's real name (a mystery for the best part of 30 years) was revealed to be non other than Anna (Paquin) sodding Marie. The francise needs to start from scratch with, amongst other things, a juiced up Rogue, an Iced-up Iceman and more screen time for their field leader, Cyclops - he IS the X-men.

• apbgreen

Mar 22nd 2010, 23:04

While I understand that comic to movie adaptations are the definition of 'you can't please all the people all the time', at some point you have to accept that a movie cannot be a comic. 'Watchmen' was very good but suffered from being too slavish. Batman Returns/The Dark Knight were terrific but actually bore little resemblance to any of it's prior graphic incarnations, and like them or loathe them, X-Men 1 & 2 were very well crafted pieces of cinematic storytelling. But as a movie, X-Men 3 was and always will be a massive pile of ****, no matter how much you delude yourself that the War Room doesn't suffer unfavourable comparison with the Next Generation's holo-deck (something I suspect Singer was smart enough to recognise).