Sinister sequel gets the green light

Another horror franchise on the way

Low-budget horror film Sinisterwas one of 2012’s grisly little success stories, and predictably, its box-office performance has convinced studio execs to sign off on a sequel.

The first film starred Ethan Hawke as a true crime writer who moves into a house with a troubled past in search of inspiration. Needless to say, what he finds there is something else altogether…

Having been made for just $3m, Sinister went on to gross $78m, which should go some way towards explaining why Blumhouse Production is keen to go for round two.

It’s thought that the filmmakers are hoping for another franchise in the vein of Paranormal Activity, with that series still going strong despite diminishing returns in the scare department.

Scott Derrickson is in talks to return to the director’s chair, while he and co-writer C. Robert Cargill will be on script duties once more. Casting, at this stage, remains cloaked in secrecy…

Would you go and see a Sinister sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• davebe

Mar 4th 2013, 10:36

I hope its called Sinisterer

• alexanderknight

Mar 4th 2013, 16:00

it would be good to see a 2nd film for a good film :) hope it goes a head .

• moviemind91

Mar 4th 2013, 16:03

I was worried about this. I really liked Sinister, I thought the director focused more on story than scared tactics, which is why I prefer Cabin in the Woods to Paranormal Activity. I think anyone would agree story comes first in any genre. I always found that sequels to successful horror films to be a big let down and it ruins it's predecessor. If the director can find a way to expand the story and make it interesting then he should go for it but if we're getting the same film then forget it.

• joshguttman

Mar 5th 2013, 6:47

I would normally agree with most individuals in that I wouldn't want a sequel, however, there are some characters who are still available, the police officer who helped the main character and the professor. As long as they don't go the PA rout in just having prequels and actually move the story forward, i'd be up for that

• SarahDorra

Mar 5th 2013, 7:52

I like the choice of words.

• Kittysafe

Apr 11th 2013, 17:33

Sinister is the best new horror to come down the pike in the last 5 years.