Sony confirms The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4

Sequels will arrive in 2016 and 2018

Sony has unveiled long-term plans for the future of one of its prime properties with the announcement that The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4 will arrive in 2016 and 2018 respectively.

Last year’s series reboot brought the studio a hefty $750 million worldwide, a figure that gave an immediate green light to a first sequel, which Marc Webb is currently shooting.

“Spider-Man is our most important, most successful, and most beloved franchise,” said Jeff Blake, Sony’s Chairman of Worldwide Marketing and Distribution, “so we’re thrilled that we are in a position to lock in these prime release dates over the next five years.”

It’s a real statement of intent from Sony, particularly given that the second film is not scheduled to hit cinemas until next summer. The third film has been pencilled in for release on 10 June 2016, with the fourth following on 4 May 2018.

It also would appear to limit the possibility of Spider-Man being included in one of Marvel’s Avengers movies, what with Sony hanging on to the character’s rights and clearly mapping out a big future for the franchise.

In the meantime, we can look forward to the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which opens in the UK on 18 April 2014.

What do you think of the announcement? Exciting or overkill? Tell us, below...

Comments

• chibik

Jun 18th 2013, 6:37

Suits me just fine. Sony can keep him.

• BobTheSkull

Jun 18th 2013, 9:00

Just so long as they don't start going overkill with villains (which the next one might be doing) or go th way of the Bat and start introducing Spider woman or any of his 'Amazing Friends'.

• marvelboy

Jun 18th 2013, 9:14

@BubTheSkull - I honesty think Webb is setting up for the Sinister Six and thats why the franchise will been four films to get it right. But also I wound not mind Black Cat, but people will just say there coping TDKR which is bullSH*T

• BobTheSkull

Jun 18th 2013, 9:37

@marvelboy - Bub? You been reading too much Wolverine :P I wouldn't mind Black Cat but that's just from my perve perspective! I know what you mean about the Sinister Six, And I do hope that's what they are planning. Would much rather see Spidey take them on himself in the final film though, rather than them bringing in allies along side him.

• trist808

Jun 18th 2013, 12:27

I think this is great, a new Spider-Man film every two years? I'm happy with that :) and a slow build to The Sinister Six would be awesome. We've already had The Lizard with Rhino & Electro in the next one, the third film could feature The Green Goblin and The Vulture (if the Colm Feore rumours are true) with the sixth member introduced in the fourth film as they - ahem - assemble to take the wall-crawler down ... I think that would work really well. Looking forward to the next few years and seeing this new Spidey-series develop :)

• SiMan

Jun 18th 2013, 13:29

Just hope they're not going down the Ultimate Spiderman comics route and having the Goblin as a Hulk type creature who transforms. I do wish they'd have subtle (and even not-so-subtle) nods to the Marvel universe though. Just to appease the geek in me

• chibik

Jun 18th 2013, 13:48

I keep thinking, "Weren't they called the Insidious Six?" I've read that it was a censorship thing, and maybe I'm biased because I enjoyed the cartoon as a kid, but to me "insidious" sounds so much cooler. Insidious!

• ilikescifi

Jun 18th 2013, 14:25

long term commitments is a sign were slowly creeping out of this reboot/exploit era of film - hopefully

Jun 18th 2013, 15:40

Grumpy Cat!

• kylejohnson

Jun 18th 2013, 16:27

Its disappointing as I would love to see spiderman make it into the avengers. Maybe they will do a cross brand deal but who knows. In my mind it would be worth it for both parties to do it!!!

Jun 18th 2013, 17:05

Well considering this move by Sony I think we can kiss goodbye to a cross brand deal.

• kylejohnson

Jun 19th 2013, 17:38

I heard they were close adding an easteregg to the last movie adding the Oscorp tower in the skyline of NYC but just did not happen in time.