Sony confirms Venom and Sinister Six films

Announces plans to expand the Spider-Man universe

After months of rumours, Sony has finally confirmed that its Spider-Man universe will be extended by standalone films for both Venom and the Sinister Six.

The studio has assembled a kind of Spider-Man brain trust to bring this vision to reality, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon and Drew Goddard all set to work on the new films.

As well as writing The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (which Sony hopes Marc Webb will return to direct) for 2016, Kurtzman and Orci will team up with Solomon to write the screenplay for Venom, which Kurtzman will also direct.

Goddard will then pick up the strands of the various villains introduced by the main series and will write a script for The Sinister Six, which he is also slated to direct.

“The Spider-Man film franchise is one of our studio’s greatest assets,” said Columbia President Doug Belgrad. “We are thrilled with the creative team we have assembled to delve more deeply into the world.”

Hugely exciting news then, with the wealth of viral teaser and hints that have been released over the past few weeks clearly having been leading to this announcement.

It will also throw a whole new light on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when it arrives next year, which will no doubt contain a number of pointers as to how the franchise will eventually expand. Lots to watch out for when that film opens in the UK on 18 April 2014.

To see Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, and Marc Webb provide a world exclusive trailer breakdown for your friendly neighbourhood Total Film, check out the video below.

What do you make of the new announcement? Tell us, below!

Comments

• trist808

Dec 13th 2013, 11:31

Yeah, I don't get this at all, I thought ASM 3 and/or 4 would feature Spidey Vs The Sinister Six. All I can think about the reasoning behind this is that one of the Marvel comics out at the moment is Superior Foes of Spider-Man and it features a team of Spidey villains and their adventures (it's not very good) I'm just not sure if a team of villains will keep audiences attention for a whole film ... this smacks of desperate ideas to keep the rights at Sony for all these characters to me. As for a Venom film without Spider-Man ... no, just no. He's not strong enough to fly solo without having history on screen with Spider-Man (and as this new ASM series is a reboot, Spider-Man 3 no longer counts, but that was poor anyway)

• Chufferstud

Dec 13th 2013, 12:13

Wonder how quickly DC push Guillermo del Toro's Justice League Dark to the front now.

• marvelboy

Dec 13th 2013, 12:21

I agree as much as a sinister six film sounds like fun, I don't see how it will work without Spider-man - time will tell I guess. However Venom can work on this own, with or with out spider-man, as much as I think it will be based on Brock it will be cool if they ran with the current Flash Thompson Venom series, Venom working for the Government special ops who some times looses control. however as there are no release dates for these film they these could and will more likely happen after Amazing Spider-man Three and Four

• trist808

Dec 13th 2013, 12:32

@marvelboy - actually I did think about that (after I posted my comment), but they'd need to really flesh out Flash's character in ASM before sending him off to war, losing his limbs and setting him up, the way he's depicted in the comic. The new take on Venom was one of my must-reads each month, shame it got cancelled.

• apo1978

Dec 13th 2013, 14:04

Urghhh, whatever. Mark my words, cinemas are just gonna be showing superhero films in 5 years time. Maybe we'll have specific "Superhero Cinemas"?

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Dec 13th 2013, 15:04

I agree with apo1978. YAWN!

Dec 13th 2013, 15:27

The more the merrier!!!!!

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Dec 13th 2013, 16:10

Really? The more you make the less special each subsequent one becomes. Look at X Men/Woverine

• marvelboy

Dec 13th 2013, 16:27

Hey if you're getting bored with superhero films then here's a thought stop watching them ... I for one am happy with the amount of Comic Book Films out there, it's rekindled the comic book industry

• Mattsimus

Dec 13th 2013, 16:34

Im both curious and worried, I like the superhero thing but I just dont want another example of quantity over quality.... too much of a good thing is bad, so im hoping they give it a break or at least stop bombarding everyone with it, again not because I dont like them or want to see them but because I dont want that movie magic to be lost!.... if im honest it felt a little bit stretched by the time I got to end of The dark world, which pains me to say so in 5 years time??????..... it worries me.

• nineteen84

Dec 13th 2013, 17:16

As a huge fan I do want to see Brock/Venom done right on screen, but I can't deny the Flash/Agent Venom could make for an awesome film; a military covert ops movie with a superhero twist. Though both could easily be set up by Brock's Venom being the major threat in part 4 before being defeated and the government seizing the symbiote. They already could easily tie in the ultimate comics origin involving Peter's dad's research, it would fit right in without feeling forced. The only thing with this idea to see both Venoms they would have to devote a portion of 3 or 4 to Flash in the army overseas and becoming more than the a-hole bully in part 1, which probably isn't feasible. Unless they are gunning for multiple Venom flicks (which even as a huge fan I know is probably a bad idea), and using Venom as Flash's origin story.

• davidh2010

Dec 17th 2013, 0:19

Just me looking forward to it then? I think a film based around the villains will work. Villains are the main reasons I watch comic book films. Yeah the protagonists are interesting too but not as much as the villains. I think a film solely based around villains is what's needed. Would be great to have an in-depth look at their development and motives. Hopefully they put Mysterio in it, I can't be the only one waiting for a Mysterio film.