Spidey reboot officially titled The Amazing Spider-Man

Plus new pic released

amazing spider-man

The Spider-Man reboot has finally been given an official title and it’s… The Amazing Spider-Man!

After months of being variously referred to as Spider-Man 4 and (our personal favourite) The Untitled Spider-Man RebootDirected By Marc Webb, Sony have at last settled on that comic-linking title.

Which won’t come as a huge surprise to comic readers of the world, and probably means they’ll title any sequels with similar superlatives (The Spectacular Spider-Man for number two, anyone?).

Not only that, but Sony have also let loose a second official shot of Garfield (we assume) in the Spidey suit, this one now complete with that iconic mask.

And it’s another departure from Raimi’s films, with those enlarged yellow eyes far more slanting than those adorning Tobey Maguire's outfit.

Still, we like them. They’re in keeping with the rest of the hyper-stylish suit, and give our favourite webby hero a dark anime look.

The Amazing Spider-Man opens in 3D on  3 July, 2012.

Amazing? Or awful? What are your thoughts on the official title and the new image? Swing down to the comments box to drop your thoughts...

Comments

• JabberwockJess

Feb 15th 2011, 11:08

I spy mechanical web-shooters!

Feb 15th 2011, 12:28

I don't like the idea of web shooters.

Feb 15th 2011, 13:02

yeah me too, mine ran out mid-swing... isnt the guy supposed to be a teenager? He looks more like a first year geography teacher..just sayin

• marcoltuk

Feb 15th 2011, 13:23

Agree. What is it with Hollywood? Andrew Garfield is 27!!! Tom Welling (Clark Kent ala Smallville is 35) and all are playing teenagers!! Why can't they just cast someone who is genuinely close to the age of the character being portrayed? It wouldn't be so bad if this were just a new direction for the series but they are actually taking it back to collage/high school!?! He's 27!!!! By the time the sequel comes out he'll be dry h*****g 30! Also, if Rami did one good thing it was to make the web shooters an organic part of Parker.. not sure about the idea of going back to tech based webbery. Surely if Parker were smart enough to invent a lightweight material that was stronger than steel, 100 cubic metre's of which (depending on how much swinging he was planning on doing) could be contained in a wrist**tch he would legitimately sell the technology on the open market and buy aunt may a duplex overlooking central park rather than working as a Zah delivery boy while old lady 'May freezes to death in her own filth downtown!!!!

• marcoltuk

Feb 15th 2011, 13:25

Why is wrist - watch cosidered and expletive?!?!

• Jeffbiscuits

Feb 15th 2011, 13:37

It's the wordwithin wrist**tch that it's censoring. Either that or I've got a new insult word to call people.

• wyattrocks

Feb 15th 2011, 13:37

take the T from the end of wrist and put it with the WAT at the begining of watch and what do you get? This comment was brought to you by the letter T........

• marcoltuk

Feb 15th 2011, 13:57

Ha! I see it! I'm such a wrist**tch! Still, point stands, Garfield too old to play teenager. Garfield good! Garfield, excellent. Too old to play teenager however. Cool suit though!

• parkerwest5179

Feb 15th 2011, 14:05

I didn't think it looked too bad here, and the pose is nice and Spidey-ish... then I saw this http://www.flicksandbits.com/2011/01/21/first-look-at-the-new-full-spider-man-costume-in-action/6844/

• CantSpellMyName

Feb 15th 2011, 14:22

I absolutely hate it! Honestly, they've utterly ruined it! The Spidey suit is sacred and isn't to be tampered with! Would you want to see Superman in a yellow cape? Or Batman without pointy ears? This is pure, sacrilegious blasphemy! Are people actually so grumpy and meticulous that they can't watch a classic character in the same suit in two different franchises without starting to nag about how it is copying the previous franchise? The only thing I appreciate is the web-shooters. I'm not too happy about their choice to cast a British as Spidey either, but hopefully Andrew Garfield will prove my prejudices wrong.

• ChrisWootton

Feb 15th 2011, 16:38

parkerwest: It says that it is more likely a stunt outfit so probably not a fully accurate suit... but, it reminds me of the old tv show with the kid from the Sound of Music (Nicolas Hammond?, can't quite remember) ie bloody wrist**tchingly bad

• daveraven

Feb 15th 2011, 18:17

I still want to know why they're "rebooting" a franchise that is only a few years old and contains two of the most popular superhero films of all time.

Feb 15th 2011, 18:37

That's easy, the previous 3 films grossed over a 2 billion dollars. Spider-man is too big of a franchise for Sony to let sit on the shelf.

Feb 15th 2011, 18:43

The point of reboot is to make amends for when the series jumped the shark, (ie Die another day, Batman and Robin, Terminator 3 ). Spidey 3 wasnt all that bad, it could of done without venom and therefore all the emo rubbish, instead should have had Dr Connors finally becoming The Lizard and the emotional impact of Peter fighting his favourite teacher/ father figure. It would of been a dramatic point in the series, as opposed to saving MAry Jane (again).

• DanRose

Feb 15th 2011, 18:48

To the guy going on about his age.... please stop your whinging... actors have played older and younger than themselves for decades.. .why grumble about it now? Pointless and pathetic moan...

Feb 15th 2011, 22:41

Frankly I am glad Rhys Ifans is getting to play The Lizard, the other actor who played Dr Connor's in the previous films wasn't strong enough to pull it off.

• markdaniel77

Feb 18th 2011, 12:39

Spidey 3 in my opinion was pants! Why they have to "re-boot" the franchise at all is beyond me. Still I'm all about giving this new guy a chance to see what he can do, however he's got a lot to live up to as Raimi/McGuire's spidey was awesome. They should have left it alone. Rarely is the forth movie in a franchise any good...Lethal Weapon, DIe Hard anyone.....

• tiffanygmartin

Feb 18th 2011, 15:55

Who cares how old Andrew is? He looks like he's in his early 20's, not 27. Plus, teenagers these days... are you kidding me? I'm 15 and I get passed as 18, 20. This Spider-Man will be just as amazing as the originals. Andrew is an amazing actor, as is Emma Stone. The movie will be fantastic. I am a huge Andrew fan, but I've loved Spider-Man since I was a little girl, I have faith in the director, producer, and the whole crew and cast. The film should not be criticized until it's been released. I understand if you're upset with the fact there is a reboot, or Tobey isn't in it, or there is no MJ - but the film can turn out to surprise you.

• tiffanygmartin

Feb 18th 2011, 15:59

Plus - to Andrew's accent. He's British/American. He was born in California, lived in England from he was three til' now. He has an American accent in The Social Network, and it's fantastic. Plus his English accent isn't even fully English. Some things he says sound English, other sound American. He has a fine accent and he knows Spider-Man. The Casting Director would not have picked him if he was terrible. So.

• SpideyLew

Feb 19th 2011, 0:06

tiffanygmartin, I couldn't have said it better myself. Andrew Garfield is a fantastic actor and Emma Stone is an amazing choice to play Gwen opposite him. Rhys Ifans is still the only piece of casting I'm not sure about but I'm not the type of person to bash someone without seeing their perfomance, and I have a strong feeling he will really surprise me. Plus I have a lot of faith in Marc Webb.

• wasmccabe

Feb 19th 2011, 13:13

People will always find a reason to complain won't they? The suit looks awesome. Amazing cast. Great choice of director (even if he's not as tried and tested as Raimi). And from the looks of it, waaay more truthful to the comics than Raimi's version (as awesome as it was). Gwen Stacy. Mechanical shooters (by the way marcoltuk, are you really trying to erase all suspension of disbelief when talking about a dude who was bitten by a radioactive spider and now swings around New York fighting bad guys called 'Venom' and 'The Lizard'? And you find mechanical web shooters difficult to comprehend?). I'm very confident this is gonna be... amazing...

• BruceShark

Feb 23rd 2011, 21:44

I thought it was gonna be called 'Spiderman: Another Load Of Rebooting Money Stealing Bollocks".