Steven Spielberg offered to direct a Bond film

But he was snubbed by Cubby Broccoli in the '70s

Steven Spielberg is considered to be one of, if not, the best filmmaker of his generation, with the Indiana Jones trilogy, E.T., Jaws, Saving Private Ryan and more under his belt, yet it seems there was one that got away.

During the press tour for his latest film, Lincoln, Spielberg admitted he had been snubbed for Bond back in the '70s.

"I went to Cubby Broccoli and I asked if I could do one and he said: 'No'." Clearly, this knock didn't Spielberg's career but it does raise a mouthwatering 'What if?'

When pressed further, he added: "I’ve never asked again. Instead, I made the Indiana Jones series." So, it's not all bad that he missed his chance to direct 007. Every cloud has its silver lining, we suppose…

Last year during an Entertainment Weekly Q & A for Super 8 (courtesy of Indie Wire), Spielberg explained further why he would not direct the MI6 super spy.  "When I started out as a TV director, my pie-in-the-sky dream was to make a little movie that would get some notoriety, and then [the late Bond series producer] Cubby Broccoli would call me and ask me to direct the next James Bond picture," he said. "But I could never get Cubby Broccoli to hire me - and now, sadly, they can’t afford me."

However, Spielberg still remains a fan of the franchise and admitted Sam Mendes had done a great job with the latest 007 adventure, Skyfall. "I've seen it once and I'll see it a second time," he said.

So, do you think the Oscar-wining legend would have delivered a great Bond? Speak your mind below.

Comments

• hydruxo

Nov 23rd 2012, 17:45

"and now, sadly, they can’t afford me." What a dick. No one wants you to direct a Bond film anyways Spielberg!

Nov 23rd 2012, 18:15

"Now they can't afford me," Good for him. Bet Broccoli felt sheepish after missing out on real talent and had watch while the 70s and early 80s Bond movies became a laughing stock (with the exception of xmas-fave The Spy who loved me).

• StevePotter

Nov 23rd 2012, 18:46

I really do love the thin layer of dickishness in the "they can't afford me" statement. But it's the truth, man, and good for him for telling it.

• marc96

Nov 23rd 2012, 20:42

good on you Spielberg! with what he's brought to filmaking he has a right to be able to say that, more respect for the guy for not getting knocked back back but just carried on doing what he knew he could do... although i'd love to see what he could do with a Bond film

• anant

Nov 24th 2012, 3:09

guys a legend! he's a genius! good on you Spielberg, he has every right to rub it in! its the bond franchise loss not Spielberg's.

Nov 24th 2012, 12:03

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression Bond directors tend to be from the Commonwealth like the actors ? That "now they can't afford me " quote really p**sess me off because most directors would do Bond for free and it isn't exactly like Spielberg is struggling for money. Anyways Steve made Indianna Jones because he was snubbed so it worked out well for all of us.

• alexr

Nov 26th 2012, 15:00

Yeah, well, MGM aren't brave enough to hire ME...