Spielberg talks Tintin sequel and Jurassic Park 4

Says he's not directing either...

Steven Spielberg has been doing plenty of press recently in order to plug equine war movie War Horse, and has given an update on the upcoming Tintin sequel as well as the status of Jurassic Park 4.

We’ll deal with Tintin first, with Spielberg confirming that he and Peter Jackson will swap roles for the sequel, with the Kiwi occupying the director’s chair and Spielberg handling production duties.

“I’m not going to say which stories have been chosen for Peter Jackson’s sequel because Peter and I agreed that we weren’t going to let that information out yet,” says Spielberg. “The script is now being written. It’s more than one book, but it’s not three books, so that means it’s two books. It’s two and a half books that we’re combining with The Secret of the Unicorn.”

“Peter will start working on the film this year,” continues the director. “When he’s done shooting The Hobbit, he’ll begin his performance capture work with the actors later in 2012, which I’m very excited about. And of course, I’m hoping I’ll be able to direct the third one. I’d love to do the third one because I had so much fun on the first one.”

As for Jurassic Park 4, the Beard was less forthcoming, although he did confirm that he will not be directing the next instalment in the franchise.

“I don’t want to talk about Jurassic Park 4 yet,” he said. “It’s too early. But I can tell you that I’m not directing it. I’m producing it though.”

Which are you more excited about - the Tintin sequel or Jurassic Park 4? Tell us, below.

Comments

• joker16

Jan 13th 2012, 15:59

oooohhh, risky material. How bold of you Mr. Spielberg!

• mattburgess

Jan 13th 2012, 16:13

I know I'm going to get sh!t for this, but... Indiana Jones 5! C'mon Spielberg, do it! Do it! Do it! (Even if you have to make it just for me)

• ChrisWootton

Jan 13th 2012, 17:20

I'm with you Matt.. can't be any worse than number 4

• joker16

Jan 13th 2012, 18:48

@mattburgess This is me giving you sh!t.

• mattburgess

Jan 14th 2012, 17:49

@ChrisWootton & joker16 - My thanks, gentlemen. Firstly to Chris for your understanding, and secondly (but no less) to joker for showing disagreements on TotalFilm don't have to resort to over-reaction, pettiness, and wild, baseless accusation.

Jan 15th 2012, 0:05

George Lucas must be gutted at how much Peter Jackson has taken over as The Beards go -to guy. Lucas must feel like the embarassing friend that everyone else just humours but rarely calls. Spielberg is like : "Here are my Oscar-winning director friends Peter, James, Martin, Francis, William (Friedkin) oh and thats George Lucas who has done fugg all in the past 20 years." (I'm paraphrasing).

• SiMan

Jan 16th 2012, 13:52

Why doesn't he combine the two Franchises.....Indianna Jones and the Dinosaur Island. In all seriousness though, i'd rather see another Indy adventure than a JP4. There isn't much else they can do with the idea, surely?