Stan Lee praises The Hulk in Avengers Assemble

Exclusive: “Mark Ruffalo nailed it”

Total Film recently sat down with comic guru Stan Lee to chat about his colourful career.

While discussing the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man, Lee also took time to praise Mark Ruffalo’s debut performance as Hulk in Avengers Assemble.

Here’s a taste of what he had to say. Read the full interview in the latest issue of the magazine…

Are you happy with how your characters have been portrayed on screen?
Generally it’s been wonderful. They hadn’t quite found the right formula with the Hulk but he’s very good in Avengers Assemble. They made him too big in the first two movies – I don’t think he had to be as big as King Kong. I think they’re gonna be OK with the Hulk from now on, though. Mark Ruffalo nailed it.

Which of your heroes is your favourite?
They’re all like my own children – it’s very hard to have a favourite. There’s so much that I like about all of them because I’m probably my own biggest fan. [laughs] You gotta say I said that with a laugh otherwise people will think I’m the most conceited man on Earth!

For more from Stan Lee, pick up the latest issue of Total Film magazine, which is out now!

And try out our brilliant new interactive iPad edition! Read about the key features of Total Film's interactive iPad edition right here.

If you prefer your magazine paper-y, worry not – the regular edition of the magazine is going nowhere. Subscribe to Total Film magazine.

Agree with Lee? Talk to us below...

Comments

• GirlOnFilm

Jun 10th 2012, 12:23

As sad as it seems I am so happy that Stan 'the man' Lee saw this and not only that but has acknowledged it aswell. As an avid comic book reader and a Hulk fan, I was so impressed with Ruffalos characterisation of both Banner and The Hulk (I mean, their seperate personas as I am aware they are one person etc). http://thisgirlsonfilm.blogspot.co.uk/

• JonesJohnny

Jun 10th 2012, 14:53

as Rose answered I am blown away that a single mom able to earn $9598 in four weeks on the computer. did you read this web page(Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/IAzuW

• FBJRider

Jun 10th 2012, 17:09

Mr. Lieber, I salute you. Excelsior!

Jun 10th 2012, 20:28

as JonesJOhnny predicted one of his g0nads exploded and out poured little spiders which earned him $1 a piece trolling and whorring his wares.

• writerdave87

Jun 10th 2012, 20:52

On the bright side, I bet Dalidab's savings are currently being wired to a nigerian gangster as we speak.

• QuietLife

Jun 11th 2012, 7:51

Savings? Surely he blew them all at Greggs?

• TheUniverse

Jun 11th 2012, 8:20

I watched the The Avengers and it was FREAKING AWESOME! I like them all but the Hulk/Bruce Banner STANDOUT among the rest. Mark Ruffalo did an AMAZING job and he gave JUSTICE to Hulk/Bruce Banner compared to the other 2 Hulk movies. Marvel and Disney made an EXCELLENT decision for giving the role to Mark Ruffalo. We NEED a new Hulk movie of Mark Ruffalo! WE NEED MORE!

• Gilbo123

Jun 11th 2012, 10:53

I agree with Stan that the Hulk was very nicelly portrayed in the Avengers movie, but I think that he should really achnowledge the ANIMATORS who actually brought the Hulk to life. Afterall, 90% of the Hulks performance was keyframe animated and not motion capture. Marvel sold the new Hulk as being performed by Ruffalo, as is Stan Lee in this article, however this is simply a very good marketing tool by Marvel to sell the HULK who had previously failed in his big screen outings. Ruffalo does dewserve a great deal of credit however because he did motion capture the scenes for "reference material" and was not precious about them using it if they could do better using traditional techniques... Ruffalo, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

• Indianabones

Jun 11th 2012, 13:17

Really loved the Hulk in Avengers, but am I the only one that thought he seemed a bit laid back to be a guy with anger issues? when he turned and said "I'm always Angry" I thought it was just so calmly said..... think Ruffalo was funny and great in the movie. Wouldn't complain him being in the next hulk movie though