Stan Lee won’t cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy

The comic creator won't be making an appearance

It has been one of the longest running jokes in any one franchise, but Stan Lee’s run of cameos in every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie to date is about to come to an end – he won’t be appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Marvel mogul has had a cameo in lots of Marvel’s movies, including Spider-Man, Daredevil, X-Men, Hulk, The Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man and, of course, every movie in Marvel’s Cinematic Universe. But he won’t be appearing in Marvel’s next new property Guardians of the Galaxy.

Speaking to Dweebcast, Lee was asked about a possibility of his cameo in the film and he said: “No, I’m afraid not. That’s the one group I didn’t create.

“I didn’t write Guardians of the Galaxy. I’m not even sure who they all are. I can’t wait to see the movie.”

While he didn’t create the group, Lee is credited alongside Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers with the creation of one of its members: the tree-like Groot (to be voiced by Vin Diesel in the film).

So sadly, if we want to see Stan Lee cameo as an intergalactic extra-terrestrial, it looks like we’ll have to hope for a Groot solo movie.

What do you think? Do you want Stan Lee to cameo in every Marvel movie? Or indeed just in every movie ever made? Let us know below...

Comments

• chibik

Jan 23rd 2014, 10:56

I'd call it a pity, but I completely understand and respect his reasoning.

• CaptainCrazy

Jan 23rd 2014, 12:07

I would rather they exclude Stan from all future films. It was a novelty and tip-of-the-hat at first, but now it's becoming distracting to the point that his appearances take me out of the movie. They feel forced and very much Where's Wally.

• chibik

Jan 23rd 2014, 13:35

Aw come on, Cap. It was just a bit of harmless fun.

Jan 23rd 2014, 13:41

What's his best cameo ?? I liked the Amazing Spider-Man one.

• QuietLife

Jan 23rd 2014, 13:58

It's got to be in Iron Man 1 when Stark mistakes him for Hugh Hefner!

• trist808

Jan 23rd 2014, 14:01

Yeah, I think you're being a bit of a kill-joy here, I love his little cameos, they put a smile on my face every time. Stan always said he'd cameo in films based on characters he created, so not being in GOTG makes sense but in a way it's a shame because, let's face it, Stan's so old now, there won't be that many more opportunities for him to do them. At some point in the near future he won't be physically able to or (and it's horrible, but a truth of our existence) isn't around anymore to do them. I guess you won't have to put up with his cameos for too long eh Captain Grumble-pants :)

Jan 23rd 2014, 18:03

BTW speaking of GOTG Batista says on his facebook feed that the trailer will air during the Super Bowl.

• johnkeenan

Feb 21st 2014, 16:04

He did make Ronan the Accuser

• esquire415

Apr 6th 2014, 16:32

His cameos will about to end? Hello?! Stan Lee refused to appear in X-Men: First Class and Days of Future Past due to convention-related scheduling concerns. He also skipped out on Elektra, X2, all the Punisher films, all the Ghost Rider films, the Blade sequels, and all of the Wolverine-specific films.

• johnnydelacruz

Jul 6th 2014, 13:46

He should just do a cameo in Marvel movies with Marvel characters that he created ... make sense :P