Star Trek 2 on-set pics give first look at Benedict Cumberbatch's villain

Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana also back in action

Star Trek 2 was an exciting prospect in itself, before it bagged one of the most exciting actors of the moment as its villain: yep, Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch.

J.J. Abrams has recently started shooting the sequel to his hugely popular reboot, and some on-set pictures have been leaked online.

MTV.com revealed the snaps, which show Cumberbatch's as-yet unnamed character battling Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Uhura (Zoe Saldana).

Intriguingly, MTV.com points out that Cumberbatch seems to be wearing a Starfleet uniform under his shiny outerwear, so does this mean he'll be a good guy gone rogue?

This also highlights another interesting aspect of the pics, in that Cumberbatch's character doesn't appear to be either Khan Noonien Singh or a Klingon.

The smart money would be on him playing a calculating, hyperintelligent baddie though. Looks like we'll have to wait for his turn in The Hobbit to see him as a truly unrecognisable villain…

Star Trek 2 will open in the UK on 17 May 2013.

Have these images stoked your excitement for Star Trek 2? Do they completely rule out the possibility of Cumberbatch playing Khan? Let's have your theories, please.

Comments

Feb 25th 2012, 12:00

I don't know why but Ben's expression in the second picture makes me giggle.

• missdini

Feb 25th 2012, 12:06

Benedict will be amazing. He always give the most mesmerizing performance. Lets hope the script gives him plenty to do and test him.

• thebaroness

Feb 25th 2012, 12:08

I'm wondering if Benedict is playing Gary Seven. I'd like him to have a big story arc. From good guy to bad.

• MikeyRix

Feb 25th 2012, 12:48

Until I saw the Starfleet undershirt, I thought Sybok, Spock's half-brother. Huh. @thebaroness: The Gary Seven theory seems to be pretty pervasive from what I've read outside this site.

• nigellockett

Feb 25th 2012, 13:55

are those points on hs ears?

• FBRWoods

Feb 25th 2012, 16:09

http://filmcycle.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/star-trek-2-throws-bait-film-bloggers-bite/ Check out this film blogs take on the photos

Feb 25th 2012, 16:17

I would just to click on something without being ambushed by some dinosaur game or having to look at spam from a dodgy credit-card cloning, freshly counterfeited items and knock-off goods site.

• willow138

Feb 26th 2012, 1:12

@TheKingofCinema haha I agree with you on the lucky Quinto aspect

• alexr

Feb 27th 2012, 11:09

@TheKingofDalidab I agree with your list of good Trek films, and I would add 3 and 11 into the list. The Search for Spock is not as bad as it's odd number would lead you to believe, and it provides the series with much a needed continuity arc. You may not count Star Trek (11) as one of the original films, but I do (sorry). Final Frontier (5) and Nemesis (10) are the only truly god-awful entries, while The Motion Picture was just too long and boring (but had a great concept at it's core) and Generations basically shat on Captain Kirk's legacy. I just wish that Star Trek can continue to be made by people who love Star Trek...

• geej2000

Feb 27th 2012, 17:33

well at least the villian isnt bald and wearing black in this one ... or maybe he gets thrown in a vat of red stuff later on and gets really angry and theres lots of lasers and explosions and quips and lasers and explosions and angry people and ...... i hope theyve actually WORKED on the script this time and the story actually makes sense

• Photoddgrapher

Jun 6th 2012, 17:08

TheBaroness is right. I have also wondered about this. And feeding the masses that Cumberbatch is the villain is great, because Gary Seven and Kirk had differing agendas that led them to somewhat of a clash. Alice Eve, would play a great Roberta Lincoln. I took it upon myself to create a side by side and it all becomes clear that Gary Seven is here to do something to correct the timeline for earth, since Nero basically screwed up a major part of the Trek Timeline. Enjoy! This is the side by side picture. http://i.imgur.com/Mccmv.jpg