Star Trek Into Darkness prologue reaction

What we thought of the first nine minutes (contains spoilers)

Star Trek Into Darkness is previewing a nine-minute prologue ahead of select IMAX screenings of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

We managed to see the footage at London’s BFI IMAX this morning, which was presided over by producer Bryan Burk and stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve.

If you fancy seeing the prologue cold, then you should turn away now, as this is going to get spoilery (well, as spoilery as you can get in nine minutes).

The prologue opens on Noel Clarke’s character, who wakes up in a future London, before heading to a stately hospital with his wife. There they look over their very sickly daughter.

When Clarke steps out to get some fresh air on a balcony, we hear Cumberbatch’s authoritative delivery of an offer that Clarke presumably can’t refuse, saying that he can save the child.

In a moment that’s sure to have all the Khan conspiracy theorists banging their fists in frustration, Clarke asks, ‘Who are you?’, and the camera trains in on Cumberbatch’s face (overwhelmingly enormous on the IMAX screen), before it cuts to the next scene without an answer.

Trek fans should be pretty happy with what they see next, though. We’re on that planet, overgrown with scarlet flora, glimpsed in the announcement trailer. It’s Nibiru apparently, a Class M Planet.

Two cloaked figures sprint across the forest, before tearing their hoods off to reveal that they’re Kirk (Chris Pine) and Bones (Karl Urban). Hot on their heels are the natives, wearing similar robes but identifiable by their cracked white skin. Think Prometheus’ Engineers, but gone off.

It seems that Starfleet are on a mission to deactivate a volcano that’s set to level the planet, although its inhabitants don’t seem to appreciate the gesture.

The Enterprise is revealed to be loitering nearby, underwater. At least that answers one question about the trailer

Meanwhile, Spock’s being lowered into the volcano to activate the device that’ll defuse the eruption, but the safety cord snaps, leaving the half-Vulcan stranded amid the lava.

Being logical, he doesn’t want the team to risk the mission by saving him. And so the preview ends, with a brief sizzle reel showing off some of the trailer’s highlights.

The Total Film staff members that attended the screening were hugely enthused, and desperate to see the other 111 minutes.

Particularly impressive was the use of 3D. Despite being post-converted, there was an appreciable depth to the action (the IMAX sizing also helped), with the sputtering lava and the natives’ spears drawing notable gasps.

J.J. Abrams manages to squeeze almost every major cast member into the prologue, creating an impressive mini-story that’s as effectively concise as the fate of Kirk’s father that opened the 2009 film.

Roll on 17 May 2013, when Star Trek Into Darkness opens in the UK.

Will you be seeing the footage? Tell us what you think of it below!

Comments

• Chufferstud

Dec 14th 2012, 12:29

Well I've check YouTube 20 times today in hope of someone being naughty and taking a video camera into the screening... I of course do not agree with such actions...but I will need to watch said footage to be fully outraged by this person's actions. I'm still waiting...

• spoonlamp

Dec 14th 2012, 13:28

People weren't going to 3D showings, so they made releases where you could only see it in 3D. Then they pointed at that and said "See - the audience wants 3D!" We don't. Even more so the "post-conversion" bumbum.

• SiMan

Dec 14th 2012, 13:39

@chufferstud - a You Tube, bootleg copy from a 3D imax screen. That would be one difficult video to watch

• marvelboy

Dec 14th 2012, 13:41

Chufferstud I agree while I hate video recordings of films - this is footage I will otherwise not see as after watching TDKR in Imax i will never go and see another film in IMAX as I was hugely disappointed (especially for the price of ticket ) So please youtube so me the footage !!!

• theonetruewill

Dec 14th 2012, 15:15

Just returning from IMAX after The Hobbit brilliant by the way. Thought the startrek trailer was impressive yet infuriating who is he? Really does focus on reintroducing crew and the logic instinct differences between Kirk and Spock. The latter getting to issue the line the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few which does echo Wrath of Khan and Spock's demise. Looking forward to this.

• Indianabones

Dec 14th 2012, 18:24

What I would rather than a nine minute trailer for the film, is maybe a 9 minute short seperate from the film, but obviously leading towards the film.......rather than giving me nine minutes of a spoiler! while I love a good trailer, I don't want it to take anything from the film! and to Rant a bit more! even slightly off topic lol I hate when they show trailers then delete scenes! but thats off topic (have I ranted enough?)

Dec 14th 2012, 21:27

I would rather just see the whole film in its entirety, than watch the bits I don't reconise from drip-fed promotions.

Dec 14th 2012, 22:11

I like the trend Nolan has started with the Imax prologues and I hope they continue for many years.

• ilikescifi

Dec 14th 2012, 23:06

So the cast is in the film, and they travel to other planets. Spoiler alert! I think since the beginning of time I had wished to see a key scene-not necessarily action-as a trailer for a film instead of the increasingly loud and typical flux of money shots they call a trailer these days. Somehow it feels more genuine. I am opposed to seeing a bunch of scenes/clips dumped on the Internet to generate interest tho, a low-res clip can't compare to a cinema preview, no home setup is ever going to be as good as a visit to the theatre

• littlenick102

Dec 15th 2012, 0:25

I saw The Hobbit in IMAX yesterday (5 stars IMHO as well BTW) and there was no Star Trek footage! What exactly does it mean by 'select screenings'?

Dec 15th 2012, 1:08

That only certain Imax screens will be showing the prologue.

Dec 15th 2012, 1:15

Hobbit AND Star trek.? That Cumberbatch fella gets around.