Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer online: watch now

Benedict Cumberbatch unleashes hell

Star Trek Into Darkness (or Star Trek 2, as you’ll probably end up calling it), has released a teaser trailer online, ahead of a longer trailer due on 17 December.

The focus is largely on Benedict Cumberbatch’s black-clad baddie, who can clearly give a menacing monologue with the best of them.

That’s not to say he’s not a physical villain, as he’s seen getting involved in tough fist-fights and orchestrating destruction on a larger scale.

We still don’t have a definite answer as to the character Cumberbatch is playing, although he can be spotted wearing a black Starfleet jersey, and he speaks of his “return”, so he clearly has history with the crew.

There's also a couple of glimpses of newcomer Alice Eve in there, and she looks to be sparking with Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk.

And that Christopher Nolan influence, evidenced in the Dark Knight Rises-like poster, is audible in the omnipresent Inception horn.

Check out the teaser trailer below:

Star Trek Into Darkness opens 17 May 2013.

What do you think of the teaser? Stoked for that nine-minute prologue? Tell us below!

Comments

• Chufferstud

Dec 6th 2012, 10:01

I think he his Khan, but nowhere near the same style as the original. Maybe a disgraced Starfleet officer (hence black outfit) who was bannished to Ceti Alpha V for doing genetic naughtiness? Oh I don't know, but it looks very good!

• garymakin69etc

Dec 6th 2012, 10:04

I wish I could watch it, but want to avoid spoilers.

• Chufferstud

Dec 6th 2012, 10:08

Are they pointy ears?

• FBBDuke

Dec 6th 2012, 10:10

Benedict Cumberpatch,s character says he,s returned??...plus he looks like he is some kind of enhanced being from earth...with these clues it seems it can only be Khan !!!!....but hasnt this been dismissed??

• Chufferstud

Dec 6th 2012, 10:15

FBBDuke - do you think the lava scenes are of a new planet being made. It's all a bit too similar to Wrath of Khan if this is all true, especially the last shot of the Japanese trailer (which has a bit extra footage).

• JamieTSB

Dec 6th 2012, 11:17

That looks sooooooo much fun! Bring on the TREK!

Dec 6th 2012, 11:36

Q used to wear a uniform in Star Trek: TNG. Just sayin..

• pdanyluk

Dec 6th 2012, 11:54

Never been into Star Trek in the slightest. All versions of the TV series bore me and find no enjoyment from the original movies. However, due to the mass appeal of the the re-booted movie (and the fact that it was directed by JJ Abrams), I gave it a go and really enjoyed it... so much so that for the first time in my life I can actually say, "I am am so looking forward to the next Star Trek movie". One of my must see's for 2013.

• JamieTSB

Dec 6th 2012, 12:17

I'm going for Gary Mitchell.

• LukeSween

Dec 6th 2012, 12:38

seconded for Gary Mitchell. Looks cracking I think

• DarrenBr00ks

Dec 6th 2012, 13:11

Looks a bit like Data to me. Just saying........

• Seedorf

Dec 6th 2012, 13:26

So, iPad wars gets a sequel. Looks over substance once again. Guess I can't blame those who like this new so called 'Star Trek'. After all, that's what many go for these days isn't it? Ooh shiny. Sorry; I'm old. This new take on it, is not 'Star Trek' at all, IMO.

• gerrydavie

Dec 6th 2012, 14:54

Ahhhh! Please make this viewable in the US!!!

• LukeSween

Dec 6th 2012, 15:09

@Seedorf amazing judgement from a minute of footage with almost no story reveiled.

• thedanieljson

Dec 6th 2012, 15:21

Anyone notice how utterly similar this is to the new Iron Man 3 teaser? Various acts of chaos narrated by some philosophical rant over th*****g music before a moment of silence followed by 'so... shall we begin' or 'heroes - there is no such thing' and then one MASSIVE explosion/crash based thing. Don't know why this bothered me, and all trailers are pretty much made in the same way for these sorts of film anyway but still.

• thedanieljson

Dec 6th 2012, 15:22

That word was th umping by the way. Bloody censorship things.

Dec 6th 2012, 16:16

Wow I was excited before but now I am aroused.

• Seedorf

Dec 6th 2012, 16:52

@LukeSween. True. However, given what the last film was like: Is this going to be much different? The last film would have been pretty good overall, had it not been based on Star Trek. I can understand that, as it was, ST was dying a slow death. The majority of people were tired of it, and it wasn't selling anymore. It had run out of steam as it was. Most felt a revamp was needed to bring ST to a new audience. The trouble for me is: What Abrams has done with ST is not what Roddenberry intended when created ST. Bringing something older to a new audience is great, if you can keep the essence of what it is about, intact. Abrams hasn't done that, and has created something that is not what ST is about. Not IMO anyway. It would have been better to create something new, rather than to use ST as a template and turn it into something very different.

• charolastra22

Dec 6th 2012, 20:37

@Seedorf - Out of interest, what do you mean when you say Abrams got rid of everything ST was meant to be about? I never enjoyed any of the TV or old move Treks, but loved the new version. Maybe that helps me understand someone who loves the older Trek not enjoying this new version, cos it's the exact opposite for me!

• TwoBobRuss

Dec 6th 2012, 22:09

It's got to be Gary Mitchell and Alice Eve looks like Elizabeth Dehner. Google Memory Alpha Gary Mitchell

• mattburgess

Dec 6th 2012, 23:10

Alice Eve could also be a young Carol Marcus, trying to invent what would later become the Genesis Device. And Cumberbatch's "revenge" could be on the people who banished him from Earth in the Botony Bay for trying to take over the planet, like Khan in the original series (*before he was bested by Kirk the first time). Personally, I don't care who he turns out to be, even if it's Khan. I just hope it's a great film.

• willychau1

Dec 7th 2012, 1:20

Love It, because it"s gonna be pretty Dark and weigh just like the dark knight. so, no doubt for J.J Abrams

• kennethspaziani

Dec 7th 2012, 5:25

To all the new Treck people or those who must be senial - It is 100% Wrath of Khan. What he says in the trailer is near exact from the original gives his description away right away to long time trek fans; then you see someone sitting in Kirk's captain char... (another easy give away) - You also see a clip of the enterprise as it seems to be Mutara Nebula battle scene from the end of Khan... and the Japanese trailer has a little extra part at the end which is quite mind blowing when you watch it; Something that every fan of Star Trek TOS will get hyped up about.

• FBMHobbs

Dec 7th 2012, 11:08

@kenneths**ziani... It's Star TREK (no c in there)......I assume you mean senile when you write "senial".....it's chaIr not char.....

• Seedorf

Dec 8th 2012, 3:10

@charolastra22. Star Trek is about exploration. Starfleet is sort of like an intergalactic peacekeeping organisation. At least that is how it was. It was more thoughtful sci-fi. People no longer want that it seems, they want something that is fast paced and in your face. That isn't Star Trek. On one hand, you could say it is great that ST has been updated for a new generation. On the other hand, what has been done, what has been sacrificed in order to make it new and exciting, has created something completely different. There are plenty of people who like the old ST and also what Abrams has done with the new updated version. Then you get people like me who don't like what he has done with it. A bit like Marmite, I guess. You either love it, or you hate it. I'm sure Paramount don't give two hoots though, whatever was done to ST, as long as it makes them plenty of money. :p

• mattburgess

Dec 8th 2012, 11:15

@Seedorf - the same was said twenty years ago about DS9, which was supposedly not at all in keeping with Gene Roddenbery's vision. It was said to be too dark, it was Starfleet at war, and, crucially, many of the main characters were at odds with each other, which was not Roddenbery's style at all. I original leaned towards this opinion, but DS9 ended up being (arguably) the best Star Trek series ever made, because, as any English graduate will tell you, characters need to have conflict or the show ends up being boring (like Voyager :-P)

• Seedorf

Dec 8th 2012, 19:48

Funnily enough, I didn't like DS9 that much either. There were some superb episodes, but there was something that I didn't like about the show. I much preferred Voyager overall. Lol: I bet you didn't see that coming. ;) What can I say, I'm boring. :*( Even though I don't like what Abrams is doing with ST, at least I can still enjoy what came before, bar DS9 of course. :p