Star Wars in 3D?

R2-3D and C-3DPO a step closer thanks to Avatar

If there's one thing you need in your life, it's another edition of Star Wars.

Anyone who just has to see George Lucas' latest tweaked take should start saving, because Lucas wants the Star Wars films to be rolled out in 3D.

Speaking to Access Hollywood, Lucas said he'd spent years looking for the best 3D conversion method, but he'd always been held back by the technology.

Avatar has changed that - thanks to the technological strides made by James Cameron and his pioneering crew, Lucas believes the time is right to make Star Wars 3D.

Avatar's unstoppable success at the box office can't hurt either.

"I can appreciate what he [Cameron] went through to do it," said Lucas. "[I'm] happy it's so successful, and worked very well in 3D. [I] haven't been a big fan of 3D, but that movie definitely improves in 3D."

"We've been looking for years and years and years of trying to take Star Wars and put it in 3D. But, (the) technology hasn't been there. We've been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen."

Will you be queuing up to catch The Phantom Menace in 3D...?

Buy Star Wars on DVD and Blu-ray: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray] | Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episode IV-VI) [Blu-ray] | Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy (Episodes I-III) [Blu-ray] | Star Wars - The Original Trilogy [DVD] | Star Wars - Prequel Trilogy [DVD] | Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Season 1 [DVD] | Star Wars - The Clone Wars - Season 2 [DVD] | Star Wars - The Clone Wars [DVD] [2008]

Comments

• paddydebeast

Jan 20th 2010, 16:53

I hope he puts the giant squid back in the end.

• Joker

Jan 20th 2010, 17:25

OMG! I want! please do the whole original trilogy I will go and see them all eeee! I LOVE STAR WARS

• Wintermute

Jan 20th 2010, 18:38

So I guess we can all now look forward to a brand new scene in which Lucas himself, in all his checkered-shirted glory, reaches out of the cinema screen and greedily plucks the cash from a gullible audiences' hands???

Jan 21st 2010, 7:47

God almighty is it possible to get at least a 5 year break from this franchie ?? movies,cartoons,video games,toys,graphic novels talk about overkill.

• ChrisWootton

Jan 21st 2010, 9:18

George... Seriously... you've killed it, now f**k off

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jan 21st 2010, 13:12

Me, no thanks, 3D does not make films better, Avatar was quite good with or without 3D, Id rather Hollywood types put as much effort into better characters, story etc. My 7 year old son would think this is the best thing ever though

• Dortmunder70

Jan 22nd 2010, 11:53

how may times does this man want to revisit this increasinly annoying universe? For the love of god George, you can practically greenlight ANY project, Adapt a book, write a new screenplay, direct someone elses screenplay, DO ANYTHING but continually tinker with Star Wars!

• Scurf

Jan 22nd 2010, 16:51

If he's this desperate to make 3D Starwars, just make a new trilogy. Use cameron style 'Synthespians' of the original characters and make a collection of movies set between Empire and Jedi. Just do SOMETHING new. Stop flogging the poor pony.