Stephen Sommers no longer directing GI Joe 2

Won’t helm action sequel

Stephen Sommers

The Mummy and G.I. Joe director Stephen Sommers will not be returning to helm action movie sequel G.I. Joe 2.

Despite reports last year that Sommers had signed on to continue the franchise, 24 Frames have revealed that other filmmakers have been approached with offers for the gig, and been told that Sommers is no longer attached.

Which doesn’t come as a massive surprise, seeing as the director had numerous niggles with regards to the first G.I. Joe – including rumours of on-set problems, and then that widespread critical backlash.

No names for replacement directors have been floated yet, though we know that whoever takes on the sequel will be working from a script by Zombieland duo Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.

Next up for Sommers is a live-action version of Tarzan. We wonder if he can convince old buddy Brendan Fraser to shrug back into that loin cloth.

Who do you want to direct G.I. Joe 2? Drop us your suggestions below...

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jan 6th 2011, 12:19

dalidab1982: Is there a film in existence that you have no positive comments for?

• gonzoBen

Jan 6th 2011, 15:04

@dalidab1982 can you re-type your list on this thread please? I think we all need to see this... lol rofl etc :-)

• ChrisWootton

Jan 6th 2011, 15:51

Ha yeah, I often see your comments on here and they always seem positive, which is a breath of fresh air in this day and age. Although I think that you might be the only person in history to prefer GI Joe to the fantastic classic that is the Wicker Man. Totally with you on the Sex and the city films thogh :-)

Jan 6th 2011, 17:06

wait a minute...the first one had a director???

• jaydubb

Jan 6th 2011, 17:07

As a child, GI Joe was my life. I had all of the toys and watched the cartoon religiously before heading off to school in the morning. Needless to say, I was pretty excited when it hit theaters. I took my 7 year old nephew to see it when it came out. While I thought it was okay, my nephew loved it. I mean LOVED it. The movie was clearly aimed for a younger audience which was probably it's biggest issue. Sommers does suck as a director, but the script was lame. Example "Is that blood?" "No, it's spaghetti sauce. Don't ask..." I think that with the guys that have been brought on to write the script for GI Joe 2, and a new director, it will be geared more for the folks like me who grew up with and loved this franchise.

Jan 6th 2011, 17:28

"Get that kid off my ice, you little w**kers" :D

• dgoodswen

Jan 6th 2011, 23:12

Wow. Wow. Wow. That is awesome. Just. Wow.

• gonzoBen

Jan 7th 2011, 10:29

The Internet just peaked. @dalidab1982 you are an absolute one-off. Never change.

• DonisFun

Jan 7th 2011, 11:14

dalidab1982 - Some of them I completely agree with but some of the others.... s**t I could cry, I never thought I'd see some of these movies in someone's top 100 worse films, I might have to go and hug my special box set of Reservoir Dogs.

• ChrisWootton

Jan 7th 2011, 14:05

I agree, please never change! I never thought that in my lifetime I would ever see 2001 on any list with Robocop 3...

• gaffer82

Jan 8th 2011, 23:44

Can I direct it please? But I would like to rename it Action Force and make it much more like the story I remember from childhood!