Steven Spielberg picks Harvey

He'll make a new version of the James Stewart movie

The ever-revolving development tombola of Steven Spielberg's directorial choices has just spat out a new ticket - an update of Harvey.

Yes, while he's been pondering a new version of Matt Helm (still presumably locked in studio rights issues), he's now announced that he'll take on a fresh adaptation of Mary chase's play Harvey.

You might know the story, since it was originally turned into a film in 1950, with James Stewart as Elwood P Dowd.

Dowd's friendship with the six-foot-tall, invisible bunny has everyone thinking he's bonkers, but the madness that ensues helps heal family rifts and Dowd falls in love.

No, not with the rabbit.

Spielberg's take will be set in the present day, with novelist Jonathan Tropper behind a reworked script and Fox 2000 is providing the backing, partnering up (natch) with DreamWorks.

The studio will be hoping for a hit, we're sure.

There's no word on who'll take over the Dowd role, though John Travolta tried to get one moving in 2003 and surely Spielberg might consider The Modern Day Jimmy Stewart - AKA Tom Hanks...

[Source: The Hollywood Reporter]

Do you think a remake of Harvey - even by The Beard - is a good idea? Speak!

Comments

• chicks

Aug 2nd 2009, 20:58

Five quid that it's Shia, James.

• whereistheline

Aug 2nd 2009, 22:16

Why are they remaking this, it's one of my all time favourite films, there is no need to remake it!!!

• koolerking

Aug 3rd 2009, 0:18

Oh lord, will this madness never end??

• MadMatt

Aug 3rd 2009, 0:27

This isn't a complete surprise, because Spielberg has been quite open about how much he loves this movie. He called the dog in E.T. Harvey, for a start... But please, Steven Sweetie (as Lord Attenborough calls him) we're all sick to death of remakes. You already made Always and have Oldboy and Matt Helm on the horizon. Enough already!

Aug 3rd 2009, 20:23

Are we ever going to see his Lincoln film ?

• annunziato

Aug 3rd 2009, 21:06

I'm looking forward to it already. Anything Steven Spielberg makes is always worth watching. I keep on seeing digs on his movie 'Always' and never understand why. This was a beaultifuly made romantic movie with true heart and humour. Steven knows how to pull at the heart strings as well as how to make exciting drama.

• MadMatt

Aug 4th 2009, 0:52

Annunziato, that was not a dig at Always. An underrated film, I agree. I was merely stating that he has already made one remake and has two others lined up in addition to Harvey. I'd just rather that someone as talented as Spielberg would devote his energies to new ideas. There are far too many remakes cluttering cinemas at the moment; we don't need any more for a while...

• annunziato

Aug 4th 2009, 19:32

MadMatt...in that case I take it back and I do agree that I would like to see more original movies. Where has all the creativity gone?

• NikkiiStar

Aug 6th 2009, 14:23

i think its terrible he is even thinking about remaking such a classic film ... can he not think of anything original to do that he has to copy a classic film?? you will never Beat JAMES STEWART as the lead he is so charming and likeable even tom hanks cant be like that. me and my family love old films with such charms and sit down to watch harvey every few months because we all love it ... even my boyfriend who had not seen it until he moved in with me... please spielberg LEAVE THIS FILM ALONE!!!!