Steven Spielberg talks Indy 5

Defends Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Steven Spielberg has been talking about Indiana Jones again, touching on the possibility of a fifth film and attempting to clarify some comments he had previously made about Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull.

A recent interview had Spielberg seemingly shifting the blame for Crystal Skull’s barmy conclusion to George Lucas, attributing the alien idea to his partner in crime and claiming that he himself had disliked it.

However, a new interview with Entertainment Weekly seeks to clear up those comments somewhat, albeit, without really retracting the notion that the aliens were all George’s doing…

“I’m really proud of the movie,” says Spielberg. “I loved bringing Marion back. I love the fact that Indy now has a son. It’s a family action film, and I love that whole conceit. It’s public that George and I and Harrison all had a clash about genre and concept. But I’ve always told George’s stories."

“My biggest contribution was adding the father to the third movie,” he continues. “That was my idea, to cast Sean Connery as Harrison’s father. I am best friends with George and I’m very obedient to the stories that he writes. I’ll fight things I don’t believe in but ultimately if George wants to bring inter-dimensional beings into Crystal Skull, I will do the best job I possible can to acquit George’s idea and make him proud.”

So there you have it - the little green men were completely down to Lucas. And according to Spielberg, any possible fifth movie will be completely down to him as well.

“It’s up to George,” said Spielberg when asked about a fifth outing. “We have already agreed on the genre of the fifth movie, we already have a concept in mind. I don’t know where George is with the story. There is no Indy 5 until George says there is.”

Were you one of the few who enjoyed Crystal Skull? And can you stomach another round of whip-cracking action? Tell us, below.

Comments

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Dec 5th 2011, 10:04

part of me thinks just leave it, but another says that it can't be allowed to end with the worst in the series

• FBSDhondt

Dec 5th 2011, 10:27

they could have Indy wake up at the hospital in the beginning of the fifth film and tell him that his fourth adventure with the alien stuff was all just a dream ........ I'm kidding Lucas, get your fingers OFF the ctrl COPY button !!!!

• ChrisWootton

Dec 5th 2011, 11:45

Steve.. seriously... how can you honestly look at the 4th one and be proud of it? It was awful... the worst thing you've ever done. You bring back Marion and do absolutely nothing with the character at all. Harrison Ford deserved better.. go back and watch the first one and then try doing it without Herr Lucas

Dec 5th 2011, 14:38

I feel a bit sorry for Spielberg, he probably does realise the 4th one was s**t but he's been friends with Lucas for decades, he can't exactly turn round and be honest now...

• BobbyTwoTimes

Dec 5th 2011, 16:58

George Lucas is a c*nt - plain and simple! Although everything he touches these days makes a ton of money, he ends up sh*tting out utter movie turds that don't even belong in the bargain bin in Morrisons. And this article just makes Spielberg sound like Lucas' b*tch! If it's all down to that tw4t, then let HIM put his name down on the Directors credit and stop making yourself look like a talentless has-been prik!

Dec 5th 2011, 20:01

Well if you think it's brilliant that's all anyone needs to know about its quality.

• FBALee

Dec 5th 2011, 20:33

How in the world is the fourth one the BEST? Oh my goodness, I think my life force is leaving my body.. I have no will to live. Anyway, I agree with writerdave, Spielberg can't really dis his life long friend over a movie they made together, as much as he probably realizes the whole thing was ludicrous. Admittedly, I liked the first third of the film alright, but then it just froze into a giant turd. Everyone needs to watch the South Park episode involving Lucas, Spielberg, and Indy. Hilarious.:)

Dec 5th 2011, 21:45

Come on Steve it was a turd of a movie, you allowed George to ruin it with his dire need to include aliens and cast Shia Lad****e as Indy's son. If only River Phoenix was still with us, he was the only person worthy of carrying on the franchise.

Dec 5th 2011, 23:49

I don't give a s**t about the historical innaccuracy. There are plenty of good films with aliens in them, including ones made by Lucas and Spielberg. It was the fact it was a badly written, overbudgeted, shoddy CGI'd, poorly acted car wreck of a movie that put me off. Shia LeBoef was terrible, Marion was criminally underused, the hiding in the fridge thing was plain stupid, and the alien thing was neither scary, dramatic, or held any attention. It's a terrible movie with loads of really bad factors all working together to make it extra special epically s**t. But then again, you do like Battlefield Earth so your ability to recognize dross is already fatally compromised.

Dec 6th 2011, 1:56

Being told I need a psychiatrist by a guy who thinks bisexuals are mentally ill, who thinks his brother kills people, who thinks it's ok to tell people to die of cancer? I'll take that as a compliment, cheers. Calm the f**k down and grow a thicker skin. If you're so intent on liking films that are pretty much universally considered rubbish, stop throwing b***h fits whenever someone disagrees with you. God knows why I stuck up for you on the other thread, you deserve every kicking you get.

• FBALee

Dec 6th 2011, 5:16

Yeah, I really don't understand why CFG insists on arguing with everyone who thinks that the fourth movie was c**p.. it sure is my opinion, and you can stop badgering everyone already. If you liked it, I'm super happy for you. You were one of the few happy audience members then. But PLEASE for the love of the GODS stop throwing a hissy fit every time someone disagrees! It doesn't mean your opinion is less valid.. it just means it's different. We get it, you loved the movie. Yay. I didn't. Oh well. End of discussion.

• FBALee

Dec 6th 2011, 5:24

@CFG- How the hell do you know that South Park stopped being funny after season 9 if you stopped watching it after season 9? Naturally, like all shows, there are a few iffy episodes here and there, but ultimately it remains one of the funniest satires of our society. I don't care if you disagree, just had to question your ability to judge it's quality if you haven't even watched past season 9. Trust me, season 12 is a hoot. Your loss.

Dec 6th 2011, 8:19

This is Dalidab though, who's gone on page-long rants about horrifically mysogenistic a film is... when he hasn't even seen it.

• ChrisWootton

Dec 6th 2011, 11:16

If you're going down the South Park route dalid... sorry CFG... is Butters as he was the only one who liked it... says it all really. Hamburgers!

Dec 6th 2011, 14:04

I dont think that was a compliment, d*****s.

• FBALee

Dec 6th 2011, 16:27

Omg, CFG! I didn't say it was the ONLY SHOW THAT DID IT RIGHT, did I? I said it was ONE OF THE FUNNIEST. NOT THE ONLY. Yes, that was me yelling because you are beyond frustrating. If you want to argue, do it right. I'm not even going to add the list of my favorites on here because frankly, I don't care what your opinion of me is. Just had to point out that you keep twisting people's words.. which doesn't work when you can simply scroll up and see the previous post.

Dec 6th 2011, 18:27

When will people learn that you don't feed trolls !!!!!!!

• FBALee

Dec 6th 2011, 20:14

@Ali1748- Thanks for the reminder! I totally forgot.:)

Dec 7th 2011, 0:08

If he could read in the first place half of these arguments wouldn't happen.

• StevePotter

Dec 7th 2011, 6:15

I also like this movie, but I'm not going to call it the best (I know I've seen all of them, but the only one of the films we owned was The Last Crusade, so it's the only one I can remember in detail). It's a popcorn film, guys! The nuking the fridge incident is SUPPOSED to be over the top ridiculous! Can a real person REALLY travel via submarine by STANDING ON TOP OF IT while it goes underwater? Hell no! Should we care?! NOOOO!!!! But I understand there's nostalgia to factor in and such. Movies like "Indiana Jones" and "Star Wars" will always be awesome spectacle to me, so I guess it's hard for the prequels or "Crystal Skull" to ruin my childhood. Except for "Attack of the Clones", because seriously, f**k that movie.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Dec 7th 2011, 9:41

It's amazing how when reading the comments on here excluding CrazyDalibNonce's posts, you still fully understand the gist of the conversation. Dalibnonce is a gormless c*nt who knows f*ck all about movies and everybody else on this website hates him!

• FBALee

Dec 7th 2011, 18:02

Oh wow, that was pretty priceless.

Dec 7th 2011, 23:43

Come on Dalidab you gotta admit that's really funny. That's a pretty much note-perfect impression of you.

Dec 8th 2011, 2:47

Well actually yeah, as it happens, you trying to threaten me is actually pretty funny. I actually have to keep checking whether it's you or crazyrapeguy that's posting, the first time he did it I thought it was you lmao.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Dec 8th 2011, 10:05

Ummm......Dalibnonce I think you'll find the correct grammar is UNfunny. I love the fact that Dalibnonce has gone to all the effort of changing his name to have a fresh start because he was so universally dispised (more so than Indy 4!) and then it takes all of 1 week for everybody to wind him back into exactly the same vile, abusive little sh*t that he was before ha ha! It's brilliant! and I love the way he keeps threatening to kill people through Cyberspace ha ha! It's superb! Who are you....Magneto??!

• DanRose

Dec 8th 2011, 17:03

Indiana Jones deserved better then that. That is all....

Dec 9th 2011, 0:57

He didn't change his name to have a fresh start, he was banned for being a tosser.

• CrazyGimpGay

Dec 9th 2011, 10:28

In my complete and honest opinion, CrazyFilmGuy you a complete and utter tool. You clearly have some issues with all human beings - except from your best friend George Lucas. You seem to have such an issue with people rightly saying that The Crystal Skull was utter garbage. I too loved The Crystal Skull, I loved the end when the credits rolled and I could finally turn it off - now you will probably go on about if I didn't like it why did I not turn it off. I always watch a film all the way through so that I can then safely say yes the film was pants. The fact that you constantly result to swearing at everyone further proves my theory that you are a complete and utter tool. I can't wait to see what insults you'll send my way. I better lock my doors in case you come around and lecture me about Battlefield Earth.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Dec 9th 2011, 10:56

Fair play DalibNonce, you did a fantastic job getting me banned there.... I'd loved to know where you live you little f*g, so I could come up to your little pink p***y house and (if i could fight my way through all the p***ses) stick a DVD copy of Indy 4 up your heavily-loosened ring!

• CrazyGimpGay

Dec 9th 2011, 13:11

I like BobbyTwoTimes way of thinking

• CrazyGimpGay

Dec 9th 2011, 13:12

oh and CrazyFilmGuy i said that it was you who was a complete and utter tool, I know in your little dream world you read it differently but this real life im afraid.

Dec 9th 2011, 15:13

So... they banned you. For being offensive. And you think it's a good idea to EMAIL THEM??? Just how stupid are you?

Dec 9th 2011, 15:14

Oh. I've just noticed you didn't realise Crazygimpgay was taking the p**s out of you. I'm amazed you're intelligent enough to remember to keep breathing.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Dec 9th 2011, 15:17

Hopefully he/she/nonce will grow stupid enough to forget to do that too......

Dec 9th 2011, 22:52

You realise they're probably the same person don't you? Dumb s**t.

• Siegfried

Dec 10th 2011, 22:12

The first three Indy films were good fun, but No. 4 was just plain silly. As for the Star Wars series, apart from The Empire Strikes Back, which actually had some depth to it, it seems to be aimed mainly at an audience with a mental age of 8 - 12. As far as I'm concerned, any film that you remember for the special effects, and little or nothing else, is a failure.