Stranger Than Fiction writer to pen Jumanji remake

Project is back up and running

Last summer, the news that literally nobody had been waiting for finally broke… Jumanjiwould be getting a remake! Since then, it’s all gone a bit quiet, although that’s all about to change with the hiring of a new writer.

Columbia has hired Stranger Than Fiction screenwriter Zach Helm to have a bash at the script, which you’ll recall is an adaptation of a well-loved children’s story by American author Chris Van Allsburg.

The plot follows a family’s discovery of a magical, jungle-set board game, the perils of which soon make themselves apparent in the real world. Cue monkeys in the kitchen, a monsoon in the hall… you get the general idea.

Back when the news of a remake was originally announced, Columbia’s Doug Belgrad explained that the plan was to “try and reimagine Jumanji and update it for the present”, so that’s the brief Helm will be working from.

Helm has previous with family films, having written Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, so we can understand Columbia’s thinking behind the appointment. Whether anyone actually needs another version of Jumanji is another matter…

Would you want to see a Jumanji remake? Tell us, below!

Comments

• jakesfake

Dec 7th 2012, 12:33

Jumanji is/was a great film.Why would you remake it?

• FBALeal

Dec 7th 2012, 12:46

Updated it for the present? As if the movie was made forty years ago! It is true that the visual effects do need an update but only because they were bad in the first place. The only way I would be interested is if they made it a two-movie story. Make it more epic otherwise, I do not care. The question is, can a Jumanji remake make good bussiness?

• hawleygriffin

Dec 7th 2012, 13:34

The original was a good film, i wouldnt touch it . That being said , If its going to be remade , dont simply remake it blow for blow. Take the story Make the tone a-lot darker , take it into the relms of a horror movie. Could may be see that working ?

• SiMan

Dec 7th 2012, 13:59

Can't it just be a sequel of sorts - some other family find the game and start playing, but they get pulled into the jungle-world instead of stuff coming out (wasn't there also a cartoon back in the 90's - seem to remember it being alright)

• neiltillbrook

Dec 7th 2012, 14:41

Generally, I don't think it's needed. It was a great film for its time (which is less than 20 years ago) which more than easily reaped its production budget back. Robin Williams plays lead with as much gusto as you'd need to pull off a film that sees a board-game turn a house into a safari park. My worry is that they'll end up throwing Jim Carrey in to the mix. I really don't want to see another Mr. Popper's Penguins - I paid my dues for that. I can't say I'm not intrigued to see what they'll do with it as my curiosity tends to get the better of me sometimes - but I'll be watching between my fingers as my palm tries to protect me from any horror that might be there... or rampaging rhinos or monkeys that are up to no good. Or a "modern interpretation"...robots. N

• ilikescifi

Dec 8th 2012, 12:33

it needs a rewrite, an updating. kid's don't play the way they used to. the idea of a kids playing an boring old board game doesn't fit anymore. if they do it right it could have some inventive use of 3d