Stunning new trailer for Life Of Pi: watch now

Tigers and zebras and whales… oh my!

Life Of Pi, Ang Lee's adaptation of the award-winning novel by Yann Martel, has released a spectacular new trailer crammed full of action, wonder and CGI animals.

The film follows the exploits of Pi (Suraj Sharma), a young boy travelling with his zookeeper family from India to America aboard a Japanese cargo ship. However, when a terrible storm sinks their transport, Pi is left stranded on a lifeboat with only a 450 pound tiger for company.

This latest trailer is big on spectacle, with the sinking of Pi's ship presented as a jaw-dropping set-piece on the grandest possible scale. Even James Cameron would be proud of this level of nautical mayhem!

Take a look at the new trailer, below…

When we first heard that Lee's film was to be presented in 3D, we were sceptical as to how the story would lend itself to the technology. Upon reflection, it seems an obvious move, with Martel's outlandish narrative - full of weird and wonderful occurrences - well-suited to in-your-face presentation.

Co-starring Irrfan Khan, Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu, Life Of Pi will open in the UK on 21 December 2012. If nothing else, it promises to look an absolute treat...

What do you think of the new trailer? Tell us, below!

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jul 25th 2012, 10:39

That does look stunning. I think this could be one of the few movies that I'd actually seek out in 3D

• Heisenberg

Jul 25th 2012, 10:55

Looks visually stunning but its a movie based on, for me, one of the most boring books i have ever had to endure to finish in my life.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 25th 2012, 11:37

Ah really? That, and the fact it's Ang Lee might prove a little too slow for my tastes after all. Appreciate the heads up Heisenberg

• mattymjp

Jul 25th 2012, 12:29

Impressive CGI tiger, ALMOST completely life-like

• MisterAmj

Jul 25th 2012, 12:32

Just out of interest Heisenberg, why did you find the book boring? I only ask because I thought it was one of the most imaginative and evocative books I've ever read.

• MisterAmj

Jul 25th 2012, 12:32

And had a great ending too.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 25th 2012, 12:46

Now I'm torn!!

• ChrisWootton

Jul 25th 2012, 12:55

Out of curiosity, is Heisenberg from Breaking Bad? Just watched the first three episodes (I know, I should've started earlier) and just seen that Heisenberg is Walter's alias later on.

• MisterAmj

Jul 25th 2012, 13:41

Chris - read the book. You'll know in the first few chapters whether you'll like it or not.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 25th 2012, 14:24

Cool, will do amigo

• StevePotter

Jul 25th 2012, 15:02

I loved the book. I wonder if they'll follow the book's structure (two acts, with the tiger being in Act Two), or if they'll show everything from Act One in flashback. That seems like a much better idea, but I'll be fine as long as they don't cut Act One... Also, did they cut the zebra, hyena and orangutan?

• aragorn01

Jul 25th 2012, 15:08

hands down, the most beautiful looking film this year. and is the tiger cg, or real..?? if it's fake, then it should GET the special visual f/x oscar, most definitely. Ang Lee's BACK.

• MisterAmj

Jul 25th 2012, 16:02

Steve I suspect they will make it into the film because they are central to the plot. Maybe the trailer omitted them because they didn't want to give too much away?

• Heisenberg

Jul 25th 2012, 17:10

@Chris, yeah its out of Breaking Bad, keep watching the show, its becomes incredible B-). POSSIBLE SPOILERS!! @MisterAmj, it was just boring, i noticed there was a lot of descriptions and lists etc in the book, but the desciptions/lists themselves(things to do to keep the boat from sinking etc) and the things they were describing were boring and provoked no emotion whatever to visualise it. And the "island" just seemed to be forced in there just to give some sort of adventure to an otherewise f**k boring situation, and with that, the writer gives no reason whatever for the reader to want to suspend their disbelief for that period of time of "magical mongooses" or whatever the f**k it was, it was literally just thrown in there. And to be honest i was begging for Richard Parker to eat him and be done with it. I dunno, i clearly didnt "get" the book as people keep telling me, or maybe the book didnt get me. Moby Dick This Ain't lol

• FBJRider

Jul 25th 2012, 17:23

I never read the book but I went to see a stage production of it at the Alhambra in Bradford (such a nice theatre for such a terrible city). I remember it being pretty good and the film looks to bring it alive rather well. I think I'll be going to see this.

• piffle

Jul 25th 2012, 19:55

That looked absolutely stunning. I can believe the book was marmite to some people, and I struggled through it. But I would be tempted to see this film just to take those visuals in for two hours.