Tarantino's top films of 2009

QT lists his favourites...

It's not groundbreaking news, but it is always interesting to hear Quentin Tarantino talk about movies.

The Inglourious Basterds director recently spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about his favourites of the year, and he chose a surprisingly mainstream selection.

He admitted there might be space on the list for certain films he hasn't seen yet, including Avatar, Invictus and The Lovely Bones.

His top 8 for 2009 currently looks like:

1) Star Trek
2) Drag Me To Hell
3) Funny People
4) Up in the Air
5) Chocolate
6) Observe and Report
7) Precious
8) An Education

Source [The Hollywood Reporter via Collider]

How does Taratino's list compare to yours? Let us know your top picks below!

Comments

• Dortmunder70

Dec 15th 2009, 8:59

well as soon as he watches "District 9" he can replace the dire "Drag me to hell". I love Sam Raimi, but this was weak, and certainly not as half as good as "Crimewave" I'd be surprised if it was on anyone's film of the year list

• darjeelingmike

Dec 15th 2009, 10:18

Dortmunder70 - I hope you know about some other horror film named Drag Me To Hell released this year by another director called Sam Raimi. I hope this is pure coincidence, because you call this film 'dire'. Which the hilarious Raimi scare-fest I saw was quite the opposite of and finds its way onto mine, and most of my friends Film Of The Year list, as well as quite a few critics i've seen :)

• sp4cej0ckey

Dec 15th 2009, 10:35

I agree with Dortmunder70, Drag Me To Hell was overrated. There were a few good moments like the fight scene in the car, but mostly it was like watching Raimi trying to redo Evil Dead but without much of the creativity and freshness that he had 30 yrs ago.

• Dortmunder70

Dec 15th 2009, 10:48

apologies, it was another film called "Drag me to hell", you should've seen it, this one had easily the worst leading actress performance this year and featured some of the poorest CGI and woeful signposted "shocks", don't get me started on the goat. Honestly It was right up there with Spiderman 3 in the mediocrity stakes. Sam, You're great but its been a long time since Evil Dead 2 which incidentally WAS a "hilarious Raimi scare fest"

• Wintermute

Dec 15th 2009, 11:17

In response to both of the above posts I found "Drag Me To Hell" to be neither "dire" nor "Film Of The Year" material but an above average horror film that certainly showed most modern efforts up to be the tired gorefests they are but whilst being hugely enjoyable stuff I felt it lacked the true spark of "Evil Dead" era Raimi and contained a handful of dodgy CG shots that really let the side down (Never been a big fan of CGI in horror movies) ... as for my own "Best Of" list I'd include none of QT's selection (as you say suprisingly mainstream stuff there, Quentin) but include QT's own "Inglourious Basterds" alongside the wonderful "Coraline", "District 9", "Bronson", "Moon" and the utterly hilarious "In The Loop" ... as for the worst? "Transformers 2", no question ... damn, that still gives me nightmares to this day!

• durden

Dec 15th 2009, 13:22

worst list i've ever seen...i expected more from tarantino...there are some pretty s****y movies in there,quentin!

• darjeelingmike

Dec 15th 2009, 21:44

Oh dear Dortmunder70, you really did watch the wrong film... :( 'Drag Me To Hell' (the one I saw) was a brilliant film, one of the best horrors of recent years!

Dec 15th 2009, 23:36

Yeah me an QT both have Star Trek as our favorite of the year :)

• rareretreats

Jan 4th 2010, 10:42

No Inglorious b*****ds :-) My fave was Moon, something very eerie about Kevin Spacey's voice as a robot.