Terminator 5 will be the first in a new trilogy

Release date confirmed for 26 June 2015

Big news on the Terminator 5 front this morning, with Skydance and Paramount confirming that the film will be the first in a new trilogy.

The first film is described as a “rebooted Terminator movie”, with a US release date confirmed in an official press release for 26 June 2015.

The release goes on to describe the new film as “the first in a stand-alone trilogy”, suggesting that its links to the original films will not be too pronounced.

That said, Arnold Schwarzenegger has already stated that he’ll be on board for Terminator 5, although whether or not that will be a starring role or a brief cameo remains to be seen.

Still no word on who will be directing the new film, but with the wheels now clearly in motion, expect an announcement on this to be made in due course…

What do you think about the plans for the franchise? Tell us, below!

Comments

Jun 28th 2013, 8:19

"First in a trilogy", Those words that have ruined Hollywood. Forever.

• chibik

Jun 28th 2013, 8:27

Not to mention keeping Arnold but "rebooting" Terminator... What the heck are they thinking?

• kings1234

Jun 28th 2013, 8:50

I am sure they said exactly the same at the start of the Bale Salvation film!

• anant

Jun 28th 2013, 9:52

they maybe want to shove c**p down our throats and call it terminator, cause that title and arnie is automatically gonna bring loyal fans to the theaters!

• BobTheSkull

Jun 28th 2013, 10:27

I will reserve final Judgement til the Day I see the trailer..... see what I did there? I'm awesome, I know. Anyways, yeah... this sounds worse by the day. I will wait til I see the trailer to decide whether I'll bother seeing it or not (still not watched Salvation), but I'm not expecting anything worthwhile from this at all anymore.

• gbfilmreviews

Jun 28th 2013, 12:40

This film wont be a PG that just stupid, Terminator films have always been a 15 or 18 cert, PG is for kids film's THIS IS ADULT THEME FILM. Has I did like the first terminator salvation because it show the begin of the war but it also showed that because they try to stop the war from happening they change the future its why you heard conner say "this isn't the future my mother warned me about something has changed" showing if you mess with the past it ripples through time tearing the universe & changing future events.I hope who ever the director is that doing this film dose it justice but like some one said il wait for the trailer before I make a snap judgement because its could be a good film.

• ilikescifi

Jun 28th 2013, 13:24

why reboot a story about time travel? its non-linear! unless they're going the 'alternate reality' route. i'm keen but please don't soil this property any further

• SiMan

Jun 28th 2013, 13:38

Why does everything have to be a trilogy as well? Why not 4 films? or 2? I do genuinely think there is a story to tell with this though - we still haven't seen the future war in any real detail. The underlying idea of the first 2 was the time-travel aspect, but i would prefer that they leave the 'machine from the future' stories alone now. It should be about Connor and how he uses the knowledge of the future in the war against Skyline. (as a budding screenwriter myself) i would have it so that you end a first film with Connor 'smashing Skynets defense grid', as mentioned by Reece in the first film, and then discovering that it was a rouse by Skynet and they hadn't actually won yet. I would also make it so that they find the time displacement equipment and learn that Skynet only sent back the T1000, but as soon as the time field opened, the machine realised that you can't change the past, and that the time field will not close and is going to cause some big catastrophe (or some sciencey, timey-wimey explanation) and so Conor realises that he has to send back the T-800 (for which they have just captured a load of them - or something!) and lies to Reese about what is happening, so he sends him back with the info we are told in the first film, and the T800 with the info we learn in the second. THen the time portal closes and the second film is all about Connor finally leading mankind back from the brink and defeating the machines.

• SiMan

Jun 28th 2013, 13:39

*Skynet, not Skyline!

• EwanMcTeagle

Jun 28th 2013, 14:48

Jeez... Not again. Although on the one hand I'm glad that there will be Terminator with Arnie involved. If there has to be one... But I honestly think there are some **** up producers in LA: first they come up with T3 some 9 years after Judgement Day: without Cameron, Linda Hamilton and Furlong (though I get it, he looks awful now). Then they come up with a prequelish Salvation, which could've been called Alien: Salvation, Indiana Jones: Salvation, back To The Future: Salvation etc. In other words: it had minimal relation to the original and it could've been a regular sci fi movie. But no! They hire McG (sic!) and sell it as Terminator movie. And now, since Salvation didn't break the bank, they'll be selling the same thing yet again. And that just makes me mad...

Jun 28th 2013, 17:31

never trust a director who is names himself after a Happy Meal.

Jun 29th 2013, 1:03

Trilogy......so we're going to get Arnie as a Terminator in his 70's ?

• donno2011

Jun 29th 2013, 13:37

Just one word NO!!! Enough of this please! if anyone wants to see Arnie as a Terminator just watch T1 and T2! Hollywood stop this chaos and rebooting classics! They are classics for a reason and you cannot make them any better!! If you want to improve the Terminator world update T1 with better special effects "Lucas style" and that's all we need!! If Stan Winston and James Cameron agree to it I will think its a good idea! Stan Winston RIP and Cameron is too busy with Avatars! Simple leave Gremlins, Jaws, ET, Apocalypse Now, Godfathers, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and any other classic alone!! Look at the horror of new The Thing, Indiana Jones. Star Wars and so on! Has anyone saw the joke that is the Robocop suit for its reboot?????? How many films benefit from a reboot only Star Wars seems to have improved the world, but not many! ANOTHER QUESTION IS WHO WANTS TO SEE HAN SOLO OLD AS IT WAS HORRIBLE TO SEE INDY SO AN OLD TERMINATOR, THE MIND BOGGLES!