Terminator ending “challenges the audience”

According to McG…

Now that the film is almost upon us, you might think director McG would be heartily sick of talking about it.

Not so, since he’s only too happy to blab about the ending. Not in a spoilery way, you understand, but just how he thinks people will react.

“The ending is elliptical,” he tells MTV. “And it challenges the audience. It’s not a happy little bow of an ending at all. The ending is tough and requires reflection, and in some degrees it bifurcates the audience. You walk back to the car and one person thinks it means this, and the other person thinks it means that.”

Or, one person thinks, “that rocked!” and the other believes it sucked, McG – never underestimate geek reactions.

The final section of the film has reportedly changed quite a lot after outbursts surrounding the originally scripted ending.

But one thing’s for sure – as he’s said before, Salvation has been planned as the start of a trilogy. “If we have good fortune we have indeed planned out two more ‘Terminator’ pictures. There’s an arc of story in the new sequels.

“I would never presume there would be another picture - that is up to the audience. But if the audience jumps up and likes it and wants another one, Christian and I have been talking about it and we’ll see what happens.”

What we want now is the DVD to contain both endings in a choose-your-own-adventure-style branching function…

[Source: MTV]

What do you think he means? Is the new ending really going to be different?

Comments

• NachoMan316

Apr 16th 2009, 8:11

I just wish that these big studios wouldn't cave in tho these fanboy a*****es just because they don't think the ending fit's. Studios need to be brave and realize there is a variety of people out there who are not all going to like it but in the end these fanboy geeks need to shut the hell up and just accept what they get even if it doesnt suit them. I've heard about the original ending and personally I think it was a fitting and brave ending not the usual safe b******t hollywood ending you usually get which makes it all the better in my opinon. So fanboy's geek shut you pie holes there are other voices out their which need to be heard.

• NickyC

Apr 16th 2009, 9:20

Let's look at the whole picture, literally. If the movie's great, but the ending goes a bit skewiff, then it'll still be a good movie. Don't get caught up on the last 10 minutes when there's 2 hours to consider. Sure, the ending is VERY important, for sure, but plenty of great films have been forgiven for worse crimes. Personally, I wasn't looking forward to this, but now I really am. I'll be glad to see Terminator taken in a new direction. Geeks hold on to the past too much. Real film lovers always want something new, which I'm hoping this will deliver.

• rorschach

Apr 16th 2009, 12:02

So nachoman, other voices need to be heard do they? Well why dont you make your voice heard then! ..But i guess that would make you a fanboy geek wouldnt it?..OR..god forbid, someone that has an opinion on something.

• Hotspur1882

Apr 16th 2009, 12:09

Personally I hope the "geeks" do dictate the final product of this movie. It is the geeks that will want this to stay true to the original tempo, mood, and direction of the originals (ok, maybe not ROTM). And it is the quality of the originals, after all, that have spawned these sequels and the fandom that surrounds it. Studio's I think show more bravery by paying heed to the die hard fan base (Watchmen, Iron Man). And when they do they deliver something not only satisfying but, sometimes, something that get's you talking long after you leave the theatre. But all too often they pander to the "Popcorn Movie" faithful who want cheap thrills with little substance (Quantum of Solace, Mummy sequels/spin off's). In other words, it is a struggle between Quality v. Box Office, to rarely do the two go hand in hand. At least the geeks will demand quality. There is a lot of potential in this next "trilogy" to really deliver the goods. And if the geeks get their way, happy days! Really, does anyone want to see "Terminator: Full Throttle"????

• scabo33

Apr 16th 2009, 12:32

its fairly obvious isint it??? bale bites the dust! :)

• timisstupid

Apr 16th 2009, 12:54

so, rorshach, firstly, think of your own name. ad secondly nachoman is stating his opinion. i usually don't slag someone off on a stupid forum, but when you're blowing it out your a*s just finding a reason to make argument, go eat a big one. and if it's so important to you to give strangers your opinion, do it, and no to me, or nachoman, or scabo. do it to someone who cares. i'm sick of people like you.

• Silvertouch

Apr 16th 2009, 13:05

Oh I hope this isn't another I Am Legend.

• Hotspur1882

Apr 16th 2009, 14:19

I think the ending will be that it turns out Kyle Reese is the love child of a failed John Connor relationship who, as we already know, is his father. Which means that John Connor is in fact his own grandfather, his son is his father, Kyle slept with his own grandmother, his monkey is an uncle, yadda yadda yadda! Maybe not the "geek" ending, but would sure get you talking ;) Seriously though, I really think the ending is going to be Blade Runner esque i.e. maybe it will be implied that John Connor is in fact a Terminator who, (taken purely from what I have seen from the Marcus Wright character), does not realise he is in fact half machine.

• Hotspur1882

Apr 16th 2009, 16:14

timis.....mmmm, think rorshach's point was everyone is entitled to their own opinion and input on things that matter to them. And I agree with him, if someone feels so passionately about something make a valid arguement. Telling someone to "shut their pie holes" just because they themselves can't shout louder isn't really a valid point now is it? An while it is noble you have taken upon yourself to also voice nachoman's and scabo's viewpoint on and about Rorsach's post, I personally did not mind it. Welcome to the world of public forums my friend :))

• rorschach

Apr 16th 2009, 20:50

timisstupid..im going to assume your name is Tim? I have looked at my name..its a character that i like from Watchmen..your point? Hotspur is right..if all i was doing is giving my opinion about Nachomans opinion and all you did is give yours about mine..then your whole post is just a big bag of pointless isnt it?