Terrence Howard suggests Robert Downey Jr. froze him out of Iron Man series

Pay dispute raises its ugly head

Terrence Howard has been discussing his reasons for leaving the Iron Man franchise after his appearance in the first film, and it sounds like there is still some bad blood between he, Robert Downey Jr. and the studio.

“It turns out that the person I helped become Iron Man… when it was time to re-up for the second one, (he) took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out,” said Howard, during an appearance on chat show Watch What Happens Live.

“We did a three-picture deal, so that means that you did the deal ahead of time. It was going to be a certain amount for the first one, a certain amount for the second one, a certain amount for the third.”

“They came to me with the second and said, ‘Look, we will pay you one-eighth of what we contractually had for you, because we think the second one will be successful with or without you.’”

“And I called my friend – that I helped get the first job – and he didn’t call me back for three months.”

That will be RDJ that Howard is referring to there, a friendship that seems irrevocably damaged. “Oh, I love him,” continued Howard sarcastically. “God’s going to bless him.” Don’t expect a Marvel return any time soon…

What do you make of Howard's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Nov 18th 2013, 7:42

I sympathize with Howard's story, but I feel his beef should be with the studio, not with RDJ.

• Andy85

Nov 18th 2013, 8:29

To be fair the studio was right, the film was big without him. The fact that it is probably the worst out of the 3 is down to the fact that it is a so so film not because he wasn't in it. Time to move on me thinks, build a bridge and get over it he is hardly living on the streets.

• StevePotter

Nov 18th 2013, 9:10

Didn't Robert Downey Jr. threaten not to do "The Avengers 2" unless his co-stars all got raises? Terrence Howard's claims seem out of character for RDJ.

• HughFran

Nov 18th 2013, 9:47

I sympathise with Howard but I read somewhere that Don Cheadle was their first choice for the first Iron Man but he wasn't available at the time. He became available for part 2 so they jumped to get him. I guess we'll never find out the truth on this one. I prefer Don Cheadle as Rhodey though as he is more of a foil to Tony Stark's ego whereas Terence Howard's Rhodey also came across as a bit ego-tistical.

• BobTheSkull

Nov 18th 2013, 11:05

I've lost track of how many times I've seen Howard come out with a statement saying he has no hard feelings about Marvel - whats done is done and all that - then a month later, he's ripping someone else a new one with seriously bitter remarks. As much as I felt sorry for him in the first instance, it's getting more and more difficult to take his side when every few months he finds someone else to blame. And also, IMO, Cheadle was far better. This kind of attitude is going to stop directors wanting to take him on. He's only hurting his own career.

• ilikescifi

Nov 18th 2013, 13:13

i really like Terence, i think he was better.

• ilikescifi

Nov 18th 2013, 13:14

dang I spelled his name wrong

• chibik

Nov 18th 2013, 14:24

Cheadle is closer to what I would have expected from a movie version of Rhodey, but I must admit, part of me was very curious to see Howard in the War Machine suit.

• 2Dglasses

Nov 18th 2013, 17:12

If they had it 'contractually', then they pay him that or more. Not less. Thats pretty much the definition of contract.

Nov 18th 2013, 18:03

If Howard really was contractually obligated a certain amount for the sequel couldn't he have took Marvel to court? Anyways after hearing about RDJ's ridiculous Avengers deal this doesn't surprise me much.