America has just been celebrating Independence Day over the weekend, and between guzzling burgers and watching fireworks, the country went to the movies.
The result? Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen and Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs emerged locked like a death grip between a giant robot and a T-Rex with $42.5 million each.
Given their different release times – Ice Age launched Wednesday, Transformers has been going for more than a week, their actual takings so far are Ice Age at $67.5 million and Transformers at $293 million (making it the year’s top earner to date).
Of course, these are just the estimates and the final figures seem likely to tip the win in Ice Age's favour, but we'll find that out tomorrow.
Michael Mann’s Dillinger pic, Public Enemies, had to make do with third place with $26.1 million, while The Proposal dropped to fourth with $12.7 million and The Hangover took fifth with $10.4 million.
The full top 10 looked like this…
- Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs ($42.5 millio
- Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen ($42.5 million)
- Public Enemies ($26.1 million)
- The Proposal ($12.7 million)
- The Hangover ($10.4 million)
- Up ($6.5 million)
- My Sister’s Keeper ($5.2 million)
- The Taking Of Pelham 123 ($2.5 million)
- Night At The Museum: Battle Of The Smithsonian ($2.1 million)
- Year One ($2.1 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]