The Amazing Spider-Man sequel will arrive May 2014

Sony is feeling confident…

Sony has announced that the sequel to next year's The Amazing Spider-Man will arrive on 2 May 2014.

We heard a few months back that writer James Vanderbilt (whose other work includes Zodiac, The Losers and the Total Recall remake) had been set to work on a sequel script, but this release date is a display of almost-tangible confidence.

The rebooted take on the webslinger stars Brit Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy and Rhys Ifans as Dr Curt Connors (AKA The Lizard).

While Garfield and Stone are said to be contractually committed to a sequel, it's not yet know if director Marc Webb (500 Days Of Summer) will return. Although, given the positive buzz surrounding his efforts so far, we'd be surprised if he bowed out so soon.

The footage shown at Comic-Con was extremely impressive, showcasing Ifans as what could be the franchise's best villain yet.

Expect sequel speculation to go into overdrive, which feels a little odd considering we have to wait almost a year to see the first part.

The trailer seemed to convince a lot of doubters, so here it is if you want another look at it:

The Amazing Spider-Man will open on 3 July 2012.

Where do you think they go with the sequel? Do you get annoyed when franchises are plotted out this far in advance? Let us know…

Comments

• FBGMakin

Aug 6th 2011, 12:39

The trailer convinced a lot of doubters? It was a mostly negative reaction.

• ChrisWootton

Aug 6th 2011, 16:44

I think we all know that this is going to at the least a competently made entertaining film. But the negative feeling seems to be because it's ANOTHER take on the origin story. Personally speaking I'm normally looking forward to the sequel more as the character has been set up and the money has been made so now they can focus on the big fights. I just can't become remotely interested in this film as I've seen/read Peter Parker's origin story hundreds of times. Batman Begins worked because that had never been done before, but this has already been done in the last 10 years so the movie just seems boring to me... no matter how good it turns out to be.

• Indianabones

Aug 6th 2011, 17:04

I think it was needed, so much could be improved on Raimi's versions, and this looks to do so, so far anyway

Aug 6th 2011, 17:10

The trailer was on before Captain America today, and let me tell you the audience reaction was not positive.

Aug 6th 2011, 19:42

Raimi's Spiderman 2 is the definative Spidey movie, it has none of the feet-finding tentativeness of the first one and none of the overblown 'too many cooks' syndrome of the third also Alfred Molina is awesome as Doc Ock. It doesnt make any sense why they chose to have Rhys Ifans as The Lizard the new villan in the movie when they could of just called it 'Spiderman 4' and used Dylan Baker.

• Indianabones

Aug 6th 2011, 19:47

Spiderman 4 was never going to work, 3 went to far, and Raimi rushed through it, there was a lot more to develop in the Peter Parker school years, and imho Raimi messed up hugely by missing out the Gwen Stacy story. I do agree with Hadouken about Spiderman 2, but peter parker growing up and messing up the wonderful Gwen Stacy story sells the reboot to me. I do understand what you are saying about it being to soon but Garfield looks fantastic as PP

• StevePotter

Aug 6th 2011, 20:36

Let's see... I doubted the movie before I saw the trailer... I doubted even more after I saw the trailer. Yeah, I don't think this movie's going to be very good.

Aug 6th 2011, 23:34

Stop harping on about Dylan Barker, he was always too low profile to play The Lizard.

• Mattsimus

Aug 7th 2011, 0:03

Not looking forward to this, infact couldnt care less, never could never will!!!! its too soon after the last spidey franchise and people loved it because it was the first real large scale spidey to hit the screen with a legendary horror director, the most popular marvel superhero and a great cast! This so called effort as far as I can see has absolutely nothing going for it! a sequal????? wow thats funny maybe they should right a comedy! the next couple of years in the comic adaptation to film world are going to belong quite easily to thor 2, iron man 3, avengers 1 & 2, the wolverine, man of steel and the big boy The dark knight rises!!! so spidey can kindly f**k off...................................

• StevePotter

Aug 7th 2011, 0:03

Dylan Baker's played morally dubious people in the past, I think he would have been fine.

• SussexUK

Aug 7th 2011, 10:56

This is just plain ridiculous. Fine remaking or rebooting films but you have to give a bit of time between them, give us time to forget the originals a bit. Not a problem rebooting the series BUT to start from the beginning? Plus the awful CGi running over the rooftops 3D looks terrible. Just because the reboot of Batman was such a success doesn't now mean lets reboot everything. This won't match the heights of the original 2 movies but no doubt will rake in a profit.