The Amazing Spider-Man teaser trailer swings online

First look at Andrew Garfield in action

Some grotty bootleg versions have been around for a couple of days, but we’ve finally got a pristine glimpse at The Amazing Spider-Man teaser trailer.

The film is one of the most anticipated titles at the imminent San Diego Comic-Con, where more new footage is expected to be revealed.

One thing's for sure, this moody teaser looks like it’s going to be worlds away from Sam Raimi’s movies, tonally at least, with Andrew Garfield’s Peter Parker looking like he’s had quite the tough, angst-ridden life.

This teaser is very much character-based too, establishing Parker and only hinting at his arachnid alter ego. We also see Rhys Ifans as Dr Curt Connors, although there’s no sign of The Lizard just yet.

We’re also introduced to Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), and various members of Peter Parker’s family.

And there’s a final POV sequence (Spidey scales a building before swinging into action) that’s sure to look astonishing on the big screen in its 3-dimensional glory.

Without any further ado, check out the trailer for yourself:

The Amazing Spider-Man opens 3 July 2012.

Has this teaser got you stoked for The Amazing Spider-Man? Impressed by Garfield’s take on Peter Parker? Talk to us!

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jul 20th 2011, 17:08

Looks ok. Not a big fan of the POV shots but it's definitely different from Raimi's version. I don't mind any of the main players in this and I quite like they are really focusing on his rough old life. It will be interesting to see how this turns out as it seem's (from this footage anyway) that it is a world apart from all the other Marvel movies in production or coming out this summer.

Jul 20th 2011, 17:11

I have to admit Im impressed. Its gone for a more Batman Begins tone, less comedy and more focusing on character, but the Garfield is still too old to pass as as high schooler..

• SuperAlexMan

Jul 20th 2011, 17:14

It looks amazing! Darker and more realistic just like the fans want! Andrew Garfield fits perfectly as Peter Parker, he is one of the best acting talents around at the moment, we already know he does the nerdy act well! I cannot wait! Did not expect the trailer to be that awsome!

• DeanSamways

Jul 20th 2011, 17:22

Thumbs up to more dark and brooding superhero action. He certainly won't be leading us a merry dance (literally) in Marc Webb's Spider-Man. I've literally only just realised how apt the director's name is.

• Matt164

Jul 20th 2011, 17:30

I have to say I am disappointed with this. The plot looks a lot more simple than the previous films and, although Andrew Garfield will be a good Spiderman, he is too old to play a character meant to be in high school, as Hadouken76 says. The final shots look as if they are from Mirror's Edge.

• SpideyLew

Jul 20th 2011, 17:40

Perhaps i'm slightly biased but i think its looks, for lack of a better word, Amazing. I can't wait to see it. When he was cast, I wasn't too aware of Andrew Garfield but i went away and checked some of his work. He was outstanding in Boy A and the best out of a great bunch in The Social Network. I'm liking what i've seen of him in the trailer. I love Emma Stone and whole-heartedly backed her from the start. And after seeing (500) Days of Summer (which was fantastic), i was very intrigued as to how Marc Webb would approach this. I'm very excited by what i've seen so far... 2012 can't come quick enough...

• thegedman

Jul 20th 2011, 18:20

Brilliant i love it......am a life long Marvel fan and Marc Webb you've nailed it.Cannot wait for this.

• tomp1000

Jul 20th 2011, 18:26

here's just hoping either the POV shot is removed from the film or the CG is drastically improved - far to fake for my liking that being said the rest of it looks brilliant, cannot wait

• FBGMakin

Jul 20th 2011, 18:35

Didn't I see this movie in 2002?

• euanmcgrath

Jul 20th 2011, 18:56

POV sequence is amazing... looks great

• mrblonde

Jul 20th 2011, 19:40

I think the trailer looks really good and I like what they show of Garfield as Peter Parker. I also quite like the POV sequence. It does look a little bit like something from a computer game, but I think it works well as a teaser and it wouldn't surprise me if that was specifically shot for the trailer and isn't in the film itself. Overall, I have really liked all of the comic book movie trailers that have shown up this week and between them and Snyder's Superman, 2012 could potentially be the best year for comic book movie adaptions in recent memory.

• ScottFree

Jul 20th 2011, 19:50

trailer looks great. really promising stuff.....too bad for the POV sequence....that looks like s**t!

• noodle84

Jul 20th 2011, 20:04

Dark, moody character driven origin story = good. POV Spider-Man leaping (aka mirrors edge anyone) = not so good.

• noodle84

Jul 20th 2011, 20:04

• Mattsimus

Jul 20th 2011, 20:32

Obviously no-one just saw the same trailer I did!!!! it looks weak, unoriginal and not dissimular to raimi's effort. Moody? Dark? yeah and every film like it that has been plugged, directed and released since the Batman revamp. There simply hasnt been enough time between the last Spiderman franchise and this one. As far as I could see they've taken the bad CGI from Spidey one and mixed it with the Doom first person mode, in a desperate attempt to be different as there isn't anywhere else to take this new spidey. This isnt even going to touch the last spidey films, either review wise or box office, except it now before you all have to swallow your own dissappointment! Oh if I havent made myself clear I think it looks.....s**t.........

Jul 20th 2011, 21:57

Not really digging it. The POV angle looks like a video game.

• Indianabones

Jul 20th 2011, 22:47

Think there is a lot that will be different, for starters I would say they will keep with high school peter longer than Raimi's spiderman did and this looks truer to the comics and more serious than Raimi's. Gwen Stacy starting from the beginning should have been a must in all spidey films, then move to MJ once the ending comes to Gwen, and what a film that will be when we all grow to like Gwen, and it comes to its natural end! I am looking forward to this and its about time it was done properly and fingers crossed it can make us forget No.3

• GarthMarenghi

Jul 20th 2011, 23:11

@SuperAlexMan "Darker and more realistic, just like the fans want!" You clearly haven't spoken to every fan, because that's not what I want. Another angsty Batman Begins knock-off. Sheesh. Surely six years on directors can think of something else to steal from? And just because Raimi's films were fun, doesn't mean they didn't focus on character. That was one of their key strengths. 'Dark' doesn't automatically equal 'good,' you know. All I can say in summary is: no Bruce Campbell = no interest. I'm skipping this one.

• beneaton4

Jul 20th 2011, 23:15

Sorry But I struggle to get excited about this film. Not because it looks bad (which it doesn't) or because I dislike Spider-Man (I don't) but because it's just too close to the Raimi trilogy. I know reboots are fashionable but the first film is still young enough to be considered contemporary, and from the trailer this one is just going fashionably darker. Give it another 5-10 years guys or make something which spins off the style and approach into something new and interesting, like Casino Royale and Star Trek did with their respective franchises. Please.

• FBALee

Jul 20th 2011, 23:36

I'm not very happy with this. Not happy at all. However, Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben looks to be golden.

• BlueOh

Jul 20th 2011, 23:41

What is the point of making this film? Rami's version was only really a few years ago, and as much as the last one kinda sucked I don't really see why this had to be made. I get the whole angsty superhero vibe is popular, but Batman has that covered. Is there a need for yet another angsty teen movie? I may be completely wrong when this comes out next year and I love it. But as for now, personally don't feel it needed to be made. We know the Spiderman story, it's too soon to be rehashing it.

Jul 21st 2011, 1:02

I have to say it does look good.. but I doubt it will be as good as Spiderman 2, which gelled perfectly. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock, Parker giving up being a hero. But the whole " when will Dr Connors bcome The Lizard?" was a wasted oppotunity, he should of been the villain in number 3 (and no venom) and Sandman the villian of the reboot.

• robspare

Jul 21st 2011, 1:51

Dark and moody is not the right tone for ol' Webhead. He's your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, not Edward Cullen or Bruce Wayne! I hope there is a sense of humour to balance out all the tragedy in Peter's life, as the comic writers have brought pretty consistently since Stan The Man started the quip ball rolling. 'Nuff said.

• murphy

Jul 21st 2011, 2:01

well i'll throw my two cents in and say that POV sequence looks pants like a bad PS2 game,quite a let down really,and if dalidab says it looks good then it obviously doesn't.

Jul 21st 2011, 10:19

Movies are looking more like videogames and videogames are looking more like Movies...weird

• jonnykerr13

Jul 21st 2011, 10:50

Yes... That is all

• MikeyRix

Jul 21st 2011, 10:51

Holy s**t. Actually quite excited about this, and I liked the 1st-p. sequence too. Like @robspare said, though, I hope there's some lightness to balance the heaviness and tragedy seen here.

• Indianabones

Jul 21st 2011, 11:09

On the note that has been made about Spidy not being dark, I'm not so sure really, the comics have always shown spidy always fighting adversity! he is always being knocked down, the ol' parker luck isn't always good! He is always up against the odds. So maybe a darker version is needed?

• TheNeck

Jul 23rd 2011, 17:51

The tone should be relative to the content. Batman is grounded in reality and so has that gritty edge that makes it borderline-believable. The premise of Spider-Man is one of the more ridiculous ones and needs to exist in a heightened reality. Raimi got that and judged it bang-on (let's just skirt over 3, shall we?). Spidey doesn't lend itself to the same reality as Batman, and trying to impose this dark-chic thing is gonna blunt that comic edge that it so desperately needs. In other words, I can't see this working.