The Artist dominates 2012 Oscars

Who saw that one coming?

The Artist enjoyed a triumphant night at the 2012 Academy Awards, scooping five statuettes including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor, as well as Best Costume Design and Best Score.

The film tied with Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, which also won five awards, albeit in the less glamorous technical categories.

Elsewhere, Meryl Streep netted her third Oscar for her performance in The Iron Lady, beating the much-tipped Viola Davis to the award. The Help did not go completely unrecognised, however, with Octavia Spencer winning Best Supporting Actress.

Best Supporting Actor went according to expectations, with Christopher Plummer lifting the award for his turn in Beginners. Slightly more surprising was Woody Allen’s Best Original Screenplay gong for Midnight In Paris, whilst Best Adapted Screenplay went to Alexander Payne’s The Descendants.

Not much in the way of upsets then, but an interesting evening nonetheless. You can take a look at the full list of winners below, and don’t forget to tell us where you think the Academy went wrong…

•    Best Picture: The Artist
•    Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist
•    Best Actor: Jean Dujardin - The Artist
•    Best Actress: Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
•    Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer - Beginners
•    Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer - The Help
•    Best Writing - Original Screenplay: Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen
•    Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants - Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, and Jim Rash
•    Best Animated Feature: Rango
•    Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation
•    Best Documentary - Feature: Undefeated
•    Best Documentary - Short Subject: Saving Face
•    Best Live Action Short Film: The Shore
•    Best Animated Short Film: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
•    Best Original Score: The Artist - Ludovic Bource
•    Best Original Song: The Muppets - Man or Muppet by Bret McKenzie
•    Best Sound Editing: Hugo - Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty
•    Best Sound Mixing: Hugo - Tom Fleischman and John Midgley
•    Best Art Direction: Hugo - Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schiavo
•    Best Cinematography: Hugo - Robert Richardson
•    Best Makeup: The Iron Lady - Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland
•    Best Costume Design: The Artist
•    Best Film Editing: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter
•    Best Visual Effects: Hugo - Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossmann and Alex Henning

What did you make of the ceremony? Did the right people get rewarded? Share your thoughts, below.

Comments

• FBVRoebuck

Feb 27th 2012, 9:26

I still don't understand how Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 didn't get anything, and Alan Rickman didn't even get a nomination for his awe-inspiring performance as Severus Snape.

Feb 27th 2012, 10:26

I'm glad I didnt stay up for this, this years Oscars sounded kind of boring and sensible. Although I am gutted Gary Oldman and Nick Nolte left empty handed. Rango? Really? Tintin should have won and wasn't even nominated!

• thanerosse

Feb 27th 2012, 10:28

Possibly one of the most predictable Oscar years ever? Literally nothing here surprised me. I did think Viola Davis deserved the Oscar more than Meryl Streep though, this is probably a bit skewed by the fact that I'm getting fed up with her being nominated EVERY YEAR.

• alexr

Feb 27th 2012, 11:12

@Hadouken76 Apparently, Tin Tin did not qualify for the Animation category, although why is still a mystery to me...it IS a f*****g ANIMATED FILM after all...

• aleks989

Feb 27th 2012, 13:40

I am extremely disappointed for The Tree of Life. Terence Malick should have won Best Direction hands down. Its a movie that is unmatched for any other of the nominees. On the other hand nothing surprised me for The Artist, the academy was into it for this one.

• apo1978

Feb 27th 2012, 13:53

Pleased for Rango! I feel that film wad vastly overlooked and underrated.

Feb 27th 2012, 17:03

@alexr because its motion capture? Thats just splitting hairs!

• joker16

Feb 27th 2012, 18:11

Much to my surprise I was actually quite satisfied with the outcome. I'm so thrilled Meryl Streep beat the wildly overrated Viola Davis (which, by the way, was a supporting role), Chris Plummer finally got what he deserved, Woody Allen was victorious over The Artist and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo took home Best Editing. Billy Crystal was terrific as well. Anyway, as far as 2013 is concerned? "And the Oscar goes to..... Django Unchained."

• dalebiskit

Feb 27th 2012, 18:37

@alexr/hadouken: I think it's to keep 'traditional' animators happy - people who actually have to create the movements/physical characterisation from scratch. Even though everything but the actors needed to be created. So, yeah, splitting hairs.

Feb 27th 2012, 19:26

I use to care about the Oscar's but I have come to my senses, especially after reading that 90% of the voters are white males over 50.