The Avengers character profiles tease plot details

Plus Black Widow and Hawkeye get a backstory

Entertainment Week has The Avengers on its cover today but it's the stuff inside the magazine TF is most interested in!

That's because profiles of each team member offer up some interesting character points and teasing plot details.

For instance, Bruce Banner may want to be an Avenger, but the rest of the crew see Hulk as a problem: “He's the only one who can really take down The Hulk with his tranq tip arrows," says Jeremy Renner about his character Hawkeye.

So is everyone walking on eggshells around Bruce Banner?

"No one wants to set him off except for Iron Man, who just wants to see him pop. It’s funny, there’s a really cool dynamic between Tony Stark and Banner," says Mark Ruffalo.

“Banner actually enjoys it, and finds it really refreshing. They’re a lot alike in a strange way. They’re both these kind of scientists who are mavericks, kind of renegades. Banner, for all his mild-mannered mythology, he’s still the dude who was testing some pretty crazy shit on himself, so he has that rebel streak in him.”

Having a team of superheroes wanting to lay the smackdown on your brother also creates an interesting issue for Chris Hemsworth's Thor.

“I think [Thor's] motivation is much more of a personal one, in the sense that it’s his brother Loki that is stirring things up. Whereas for everyone else, it’s some bad guy who they’ve gotta take down. It’s a different approach for me, or for Thor. I’ve been frustrated with my brothers at times, or family, but I’m the only one who is allowed to be angry at them. There’s a bit of that,” Hemsworth said.

Meanwhile, Hawkeye and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) - the only Avengers not to have their own origin movie - finally get a shared backstory.

"The only thing I cling to is the relationship of past experiences with Scarlett’s character, with them both being human,” Renner adds.

Interested to hear how the character's in The Avengers interact with each other? Looking forward to Iron Man tweaking Bruce Banner's nipples (figuratively speaking)? Assemble below and have your say!

Comments

• roachcard

Sep 30th 2011, 15:23

Mark Ruffalo looks like he's auditioning for Jersey Shore. Other than that, pretty cool

• ChrisWootton

Sep 30th 2011, 15:36

Isn't Iron Man and Captain America and Bruce Banner all human as well?

• MikeyRix

Sep 30th 2011, 16:40

Aren't* they all human. Yes they are.

• writerdave87

Sep 30th 2011, 17:57

Why is Mark Ruffalo doing Blue Steel?

• trist808

Sep 30th 2011, 18:44

Hahahaha, because it's the only look he knows? lol

• trist808

Sep 30th 2011, 18:50

Seriously though, it's a terribly photo-shopped cover, hope it doesn't put people off the film.

• StevePotter

Sep 30th 2011, 19:10

Haha, yeah, the Photoshop is pretty bad... I mean, these guys clearly get along, they couldn't take a picture of them together? Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner are the only ones who actually look like they--- Oh, who cares, it's a stupid magazine cover!

• writerdave87

Sep 30th 2011, 20:07

Bring back Total Film's Captain America cover, all is forgiven...

Sep 30th 2011, 20:48

whoa..15 years of South Park? I feel so old...

• huntjo1

Sep 30th 2011, 23:31

Woww! Scarlotte Johnason's head looks huge! She looks like a churchill dog... that being said, the hottest churchill dog iv ever seen...

• writerdave87

Sep 30th 2011, 23:51

Chris Hemsworth looks like Kim Basinger on testosterone...

• MadMatt

Oct 1st 2011, 1:32

I'm guessing the photographer is a big Ed Norton fan - why else would he be trying so hard to wreck Ruffalo's career?

• Toph80

Oct 1st 2011, 1:50

sorry but how BADLY has the cover been photo shopped??

• StevePotter

Oct 1st 2011, 4:12

Also, FIFTEEN YEARS OF SOUTH PARK?! You mean to tell me that South Park can be on the air for FIFTEEN YEARS, but Pushing Daisies lasts... two seasons? They cancel Firefly and Clerks, but they keep SOUTH PARK?! This is why I hate being an American.

• writerdave87

Oct 1st 2011, 9:59

Whoever did Scarlett Johanson's photoshopping clearly did Dalidab's twitter picture. No human can feasibly have heads that size.

• FBALee

Oct 2nd 2011, 4:34

@StevePotter- I'm totally with you on hating the fact that Pushing Daisies was unfairly canceled, as well as Firefly. (And let's not forget Arrested Development and Freaks and Geeks!) But South Park is AWESOME. And everyone on the EW cover looks ridiculous, sad to say.

• StevePotter

Oct 2nd 2011, 8:27

@FBALee- I personally can not STAND South Park. My brother watches it on Netflix all the time and it annoys me. They do have really funny jokes here and there, but I think most of it's c**p, which makes me hate it MORE. There's nothing worse than wasted talent.

• FBALee

Oct 2nd 2011, 23:38

South Park is leagues above The Simpsons (talk about tired and old) and Family Guy. But I understand that not everyone is going to like it. Oddly enough, my rather prissy and conservative mother is a fan. Go figure.

• StevePotter

Oct 3rd 2011, 1:10

My mom always hated South Park until my brother started watching it. Now she likes it. Go figure.

• FBALee

Oct 3rd 2011, 7:44

My mom started watching it late at night when she was hopped up on pan meds after her tonsillectomy. I think it must bring back fond memories of floating in a dream state or something for her.

• writerdave87

Oct 3rd 2011, 10:00

Simpsons hasn't been funny in years. I'm not actually a fan of south park but I still laugh at least a few times an episode. My parents on the other hand love it lol.

• StevePotter

Oct 3rd 2011, 19:25

I don't watch a lot of TV anymore. There's just not that many shows to get involved in. I watch Eureka and Warehouse 13 on and off, but the only show I watch religiously is Community.

• FBALee

Oct 4th 2011, 19:43

I hear ya.. Modern Family is pretty great as well. I'm leery of becoming too invested in any shows these days, knowing it will probably get yanked. It just ruins my whole week every time.

• StevePotter

Oct 4th 2011, 20:11

Is Modern Family a show you can just pick up and watch without worrying about in-jokes and such? Because I have watched a few episodes, and it seems like a pretty hilarious show. It's on my Netflix queue somewhere.

• FBALee

Oct 5th 2011, 6:44

Mostly.. I suppose there are a few in-jokes. I started watching season 2 online, and was immediately hooked. So then I went and bought the first season after I finished the second season. I definitely wouldn't worry too much about watching chronologically. I even managed to get my bf hooked, and he's not a big sitcom watcher. How I Met Your Mother is another favorite.. that one definitely has a lot of in-jokes and a sense of continuity, so if you haven't already watched it, for sure start at the very beginning. Sorry, I could talk about this stuff all day long. :)

• StevePotter

Oct 5th 2011, 19:59

I've watched some How I Met Your Mother as well. It's good.