The Bourne Legacy gets a first trailer

"There was never just one..."

A first teaser trailer has been released online for The Bourne Legacy, and mighty exciting it is too, as Jeremy Renner sets about kicking arse and taking names.

The footage doesn’t give much away in terms of plot, asides from showing Renner’s character Kenneth Kitson committing to “the programme” and becoming “Aaron Cross”.

Ed Norton is on hand to grill Renner as to his suitability, whilst Bourne regular Albert Finney drops in to welcome his new recruit. And most tantalising of all? The proclamation that, “Jason Bourne was just the tip of the iceberg.”

Take a look at the new trailer, below…

<a href='http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/exclusives/video.aspx?videoid=148c1d4e-3820-4a02-959d-943dac12bac6&src=v5:embed::' _fcksavedurl='http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/exclusives/video.aspx?videoid=148c1d4e-3820-4a02-959d-943dac12bac6&src=v5:embed::' target='_new' title='The Bourne Legacy Trailer'>Video: The Bourne Legacy Trailer</a>

Yep, it turns out Jeremy Renner is definitely badass enough to become Matt Damon’s successor! As the trailer helpfully points out, “he’s Treadstone without the inconsistency.”

And as if that wasn’t enough, a new poster has also been released, boasting the rather catchy tagline, “there was never just one”. Colour us officially excited for the film's UK opening on 15 August 2012.

How do you think Renner will measure up to Damon? Tell us, below.

Comments

Feb 8th 2012, 18:30

Salt 2

• Ramah

Feb 8th 2012, 19:20

That's it. You convinced me KingOfAbDabs. You proved your point exactly... But wait... wasn't the Eric Van Lustbader novel just a glorified fanfiction to Robert Ludlum anyway? Did the original trilogy of films follow the books exactly? To my mind this trailer hasn't convinced me that this film will be anywhere near as good as the Damon ones but to declare it a pile of s**t already is bizarre.

• MadMatt

Feb 8th 2012, 19:57

Looks promising. I can actually see what the hell is going on in this one.

• writerdave87

Feb 8th 2012, 21:26

dalidab you f*****g idiot, the first three films had nothing to do with the books' subject material themselves. Alex Conklin gets killed in the Bourne Identity film for one thing but there are a s**tload of differences (In fact, I'd bet my left leg that you haven't actually read the first three books at all, otherwise you wouldn't have said something so totally f*****g stupid). Eric Van Lustbader's books are a cynical cash-in, and killing off the Panov and Conklin characters actually p********f a lot of the book's fans. Please, PLEASE don't start pretending to be a literary expert as well, because you obviously have zero idea of what the f**k you're talking about. You haven't proved your point, you've just proved you haven't read the original Ludlum books you absolute moron.

• writerdave87

Feb 8th 2012, 21:51

Really? You can't even spell 'do', and your grammar is absolutely appalling. Who on god's green earth told you you were 'extremely good'? Trust me, the fact I loathe you has absolutely no bearing on the fact you have the language skills of a mentally-challenged ten year old.

• writerdave87

Feb 8th 2012, 22:16

* most of your life. * Do. * like not being able to read or write. *die in a ditch. *Does not, or doesn't. *Most evil. *repetition of 'ever'. *Do.

• MadMatt

Feb 8th 2012, 22:18

writerdave87 & The KingofCinema - the two main reasons I love Total Film's comment sections! :)

• writerdave87

Feb 8th 2012, 22:19

I'm not bullying you because of your spelling by the way, I'm bullying you because you are an extremely unpleasant, prejudiced, offensive little s****e who keeps wishing me to die. Also, if you're going to brag about 'being extremely good at reading and writing, don't make eight errors in such a short post, and dear god man take some grammar lessons.

• DravenCage

Feb 8th 2012, 22:21

@dalidab - "... that didnt look or even sound nothing like the original The Bourne Legacy." Double-negatives do not a good writer make. As for the film itself, the trailer has made me think this could be worth a watch. I wasn't sure when the idea of a Bourne-less "Bourne" movie, but this has eased my mind.

• writerdave87

Feb 8th 2012, 22:39

Actually it's because you've made several disgusting attacks on women, bisexuals, anyone that disagrees with you, you've wished cancer on people, said that 'all straight men are rapists', said your brother kills people, talked about how you want to have sex with underrage teenage boys, told me many times about how you fantasise about watching me murdered, and a variety of other lovely things. None of those things are the response of a healthy mind to a difference in opinion. You are completely incapable of taking criticism and quite seriously, possibly a sociopath. If you were my monster I would have drowned you in a sack months ago, it'd be the humane thing to do.

• joker16

Feb 8th 2012, 22:43

I'm beginning to envision a franchise of films surrounding Dalidab and a group of equally moronic and obese people with the tag line "There Was Never Just One Fat a*s."

• writerdave87

Feb 8th 2012, 22:50

Ok, on subject, the first three films had practically nothing to do with the books anyway, so this film having nothing to do with the book I can't see being a problem. Anyone who's actually read the first three books would already know that.

• marc96

Feb 8th 2012, 22:57

im loving the look of this, great to see people like joan allen back, and its never bad to see jeremy renner on the cast sheet as i think he's a very promising actor. my one hope now is that they make another film after featuring this character and jason bourne together. even though i never read the first 3 books i found the bourne legacy to be very disapointing, although im only going by films lol

• writerdave87

Feb 9th 2012, 0:07

Strathairn, Allen and Finney's presence is very promising, especially with the presence of Norton. I love Renner, I think this could be great, especially if they link up with Damon's Bourne later.

• trist808

Feb 9th 2012, 9:06

@marc96 & @writerdave87, hey guys, that is actually the plan. Providing this film is successful, it was stated about a year ago that a fifth film featuring Cross & Bourne teaming up would follow Legacy. I'm very excited by this, Renner is ace in everything he appears in and ever since Identity where Clive Owen's character eluded to a much bigger storyline and scope to the events surrounding Bourne, it makes sense that other agents are out there and are connected to the "programme". I think this is gonna be great and I'm looking forward to it and the potential 5th outing. I've not read the books, but really enjoy the films, so I'm not gonna be comparing or whinging about what's changed, what's missing and what's different, just enjoy the film for what it is ... oh and Norton as the bad guy? Fantastic! :)

• QuietLife

Feb 9th 2012, 9:15

I absolutely loved the original Bourne films and am curious to see which direction this heads. As was previously mentioned the Damon trilogy only slightly resembled Ludlum's novels so I doubt they'll stick too closely to Legacy. Top notch cast though. I'd also love to try and read any novel @Dalidab has ever written (most likely in crayon) but I doubt I'd have the patience to decypher it. All I know is that it'd be something to do with female deer perhaps? Do they eat oats?

• ChrisWootton

Feb 9th 2012, 10:01

f**k sakes. I saw the 23 comments and knew exactly what was happening. I've got to say that yes I do believe Dalidab is bullied on here.. the whole life story thing that was posted on here was verging on criminal.. but yes, I also he believe he is a t**t. I would love to just get back to talking about films for once. I wasn't a huge fan of the Matt Damon movies... mainly because I'm not a fan of the intense camera movements. Also, I just didn't feel that the trilogy went anywhere.. I think they could've tied the whole thing up in one movie to be honest. I liked the trailer for Legacy though and think Renner can bring something new to the table.. Should be a blast.

• writerdave87

Feb 9th 2012, 13:24

*I'd like to make it clear I disagreed with the lifestory myself, I only ever repeat information he himself has put onto the site, copy and pasting a biography off an autism website is way, way across the line. No need to stoop to his level. Chris I kind of agree with you, Bourne never really achieved any kind of resolution in the films, which if they extend the series I'd really like him to find. Trist thanks for confirming that :)

• SiMan

Feb 9th 2012, 14:07

Hmm, looks interesting and Jeremy Renner is starting to grow on me (thought he was good in MI:4 - played it quite restrained i thought), however, the action looks slightly more 'Hollywood' than the other 3 films which i thought had a more grounded style to them. I agree with one of the points above that the camerawork was way too hectic, especially in the 2nd and 3rd films, and i'm glad you can actually see what's going on in this trailer, but i'm now wondering if thats what added to the effect of making the fight/action scenes more realistic.

• ChrisWootton

Feb 9th 2012, 16:59

I'd join the programme if I could become Aaron Cross over Kenneth Kitson.... Apologies to anyone called Kenneth Kitson at this point :)

Feb 9th 2012, 21:14

Instead of a perfect trilogy we get another pointless sequel.

• writerdave87

Feb 10th 2012, 15:33

I tend to agree with you tbh, for someone so hellbent on offending and threatening people, he hasn't half made himself easy to find.

• FBOSuwanwatta

Feb 13th 2012, 10:10

i hate everyone affronting my Renner after seeing 1st trailer of the Bourne Legacy. Why they can't just shut their filthy mouths tight and wait till seeing whole of it when being on screen. DON'T judge it unfairly like this!

• alexr

Feb 13th 2012, 16:28

I've read the books. I've seen the movies, and they both have their place. Personally, I prefer the movies for sheer excitement. I thought the books were slow-burners and wouldn't translate well if direct adaptations were made. I also like the look of Legacy and I'm glad thay have someone in to star who can act and do action (like Matt Damon). I don't care what anyone says, the anticipation the tag-line on this movie has generated in me is worth the price of admission alone.

• FBRMeeting

Feb 16th 2012, 6:11

You may want to make a change to your current life even it is not bad. But many people want to have another new found, ---- richmeeting'c 'o 'm, D_a_t_e___r-i-c-h___P_e_o_p_l_e___H_e_r_e it's a wonderful site for dating it’s worth a try!