The Dark Knight Rises poster debuts online

And yes, it brings the house down

dark knight rises

The first poster for The Dark Knight Rises has swept online, and it’s every bit as classy, atmospheric and eye-catching as you’d expect.

Playing on the bat image in a way that recalls Dark Knight’s burning building posters, this first one sheet for Rises has the iconic Batman symbol crafted out of crumbling skyscrapers.

It’s as thematically fitting as that title (if Rises is a direct sequel to Knight, so is its poster a direct play on that film's poster), and a dramatic thing of restrained beauty.

Alright, yes, it’s just a poster, but calling this "just a poster" is like calling Big Ben "just a bell".

The Rises one sheet is massively significant as the first bit of official propaganda (after that Bane image) released for Chris Nolan's threequel.

Excuse us for hyperbole, but it’s an absolute blinder.

Check out the full poster below…

The Dark Knight Rises opens 20 July 2012.

Buy Batman Begins / The Dark Knight on DVD and Blu-ray: The Dark Knight / Batman Begins (Double Pack) [Blu-ray] | The Dark Knight - 2-Disc Batmask Ltd Edition [DVD] | Batman - The Dark Knight - Premium Collection [Blu-ray] | The Dark Knight (2 Discs) [Blu-ray] | Batman: Arkham Asylum [PS3 / Xbox 360 | PC DVD] | Pre-order Arkham City [PS3/Xbox360]

Love? Hate? Gone mad with excitement? Shove us your thoughts on the poster below...

Comments

• garethjnash

Jul 12th 2011, 8:58

Big Ben is not a building at all. It's the bell inside the clock tower. Great Poster though!

• ChrisWootton

Jul 12th 2011, 9:24

It's great visually. However, "rises" implies going higher when the bat symbol is clearly crashing to the ground at a fast speed.

• KingofSpain

Jul 12th 2011, 10:06

"Alright, yes, it’s just a poster, but calling this "just a poster" is like calling Big Ben "just a building"." Are you off your head? I'm begininning to think they're handing out jobs to chimps at TF these days.

• KielLister

Jul 12th 2011, 10:25

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a film as much as I am this. Extremely impressed with the snippets we've seen so far. Any truth to those rumours that a teaser precedes the new HP on it's release this week? Wil it be the same as that shown with The Green Lantern in the US?

• joshwinning

Jul 12th 2011, 10:52

^ Of course it's a bell, for shame. Blame feverish excitement for momentary loss of basic fact know-how (and motor functions).

• KingofSpain

Jul 12th 2011, 11:07

"Blame feverish excitement for momentary loss of basic fact know-how (and motor functions)." I wonder if I could get away with using that excuse in my own job. Highly doubt it.

• trist808

Jul 12th 2011, 11:14

Love the teaser poster, this is guaranteed to be one of the must-see films of next year ... I just wish they'd change the title. Given Bane's involvement, KNIGHTFALL would be so much more appropriate and give the third film it's own identity. I've always felt that to simply tack the word RISES onto the previous film's title is soooooooo lazy! Batman Begins & The Dark Knight stand out as individual films, this title feels as though no thought has gone into it. I'm sure the film will be outstanding and a highlight of what promises to be an amazing year, but the title could be better in my view.

• boosh2k5

Jul 12th 2011, 11:21

I can't wait for this film to come out. The poster is visually stunning although I don't agree that the Bat symbol is crashing to the ground at all, I believe it is the outline of the sky above the crumbling buildings.

• badger86

Jul 12th 2011, 11:45

Gotham seems to be crumbling without bats, so the dark knight rises, like a phoenix from the ashes of a devastated city to bring hope and the chance of clear skies ahead. Great poster.

• Benmorse

Jul 12th 2011, 17:16

I feel guilty enough getting whipped up by a trailer. But, I suppose, that's the point of a trailer. Trying to get your readership excited about a poster that advertises a trailer that advertises a film that isn't out for a year smacks of desperation a bit. I KNOW it's terrifically exciting being the first to break news, but am I alone in wanting TF to be just a little more dignified in it's reportage these days?

• bertbc

Jul 12th 2011, 20:55

Rises is set 2 years after TDK, so not a direct sequel.

Jul 13th 2011, 17:40

I am going orgasm when the trailer arrives.

• herosthroe

Jul 15th 2011, 12:04

Went to see HP last night and they showed the trailer for Dark Knight Rises! There wasn't much by the way of new footage but there was just enough to make me nearly wet myself Lol... Should show up online next Monday so I hear...

• acrestare

Jul 15th 2011, 16:50

Tom Hardy's going to make a badass villain.

• acrestare

Jul 15th 2011, 16:50

Tom Hardy's going to make a badass villain.

• acrestare

Jul 15th 2011, 16:50

Tom Hardy's going to make a badass villain.

• Arkhaminmate001

Jul 16th 2011, 13:39

I kind of think Gotham City would have been better off without Batman! All the anarchy is targeted at him & Gotham is just the battleground that gets hammered whenever he's out & about - remember how the tumbler just smashes through walls, totals cars blasts across buildings & desrtoys roofs. The Bat Pod blows up cars (how did Batman know nobody was in those cars?) shoots up shopping centres - (again any1 could have been killed then too) Batman blows up a building in Hong Kong just to kidnap 1 man. FAIL! No Batman = no wanton destuction - i mean what do you put on your claim form after Batman has steam rolled your car in a carpark with his Tumbler, bet your premiums go up the following year. Yeah, thanks Batman, thanks alot!