The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey gets a first trailer

Welcome back to Middle-earth

The first trailer for Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has arrived online.

It’s undoubtedly one of the most anticipated films of 2012 (surely only superhero giants The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers can compete?), and this first glimpse has got us feeling all nostalgic for Middle-earth.

Martin Freeman looks to be a perfect fit for Bilbo Baggins, and it’s lovely to see Ian McKellen’s Gandalf back in his scraggly robe.

Unsurprisingly, given the stage of its production, it’s not the most action-packed trailer out there, but there are plenty of decent character moments (including a spirited Dwarf singsong).

Our favourite moments from the trailer? Well, Martin Freeman is excellent as the bustling, puffed-up Bilbo, and returning to Bag End feels very much like revisiting an old but well-loved friend. Then of course there's a look at other LOTR favourites such as the fragmented Nasril sword and the shimmering city of Elrond. And finally, there's a certain cave-dweller waiting to say hello...

Watch the trailer right here:

There's also a new poster in case you're interested:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens on 14 December 2012.

For more on The Hobbit, get the new issue of Total Film magazine, which hits newsstands on 22 December 2011.

Click here to subscribe to Total Film magazine.

Click here to get Total Film magazine on iPad and iPhone from Apple Newsstand.

Is The Hobbit your most anticipated film of 2012? Has this trailer made your Christmas? Tell us!

Comments

• JamieTSB

Dec 21st 2011, 8:58

It looks just right. Thematically and aesthetically totally in keeping with LOTR. I am so excited. PJ can do no wrong, I even have a soft spot for The Lovely Bones, although he has still yet to top Zombies vs Lawnmower in Braindead.

• LukeSween

Dec 21st 2011, 9:01

Visually looks incredible. If it holds true to the material it'll be a truly great film

• Heisenberg

Dec 21st 2011, 10:13

Hmmm, I seem to have the same feeling towards this as i did LOTR and even HP. I just don't understand why they are so popular. The stories just bore me, even as an adolescent. this trailer did the same. Although credit where it's due, visually it looks pretty amazing.

• DuffyUK

Dec 21st 2011, 10:32

Seeing this makes me wish I was back in New Zealand... I was in Wellington whilst they were filming some green screen stuff in the studio lot.

• writerdave87

Dec 21st 2011, 12:11

Looks wonderful.

• writerdave87

Dec 21st 2011, 12:11

Looks wonderful.

• Seedorf

Dec 21st 2011, 13:03

@Heisenberg People like different things. If Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings bore you, then fair enough. Not everyone will like a certain book or film. There are many films that are considered to be among the best films ever made, that I just do not like. The Godfather films for one. I also couldn't give two hoots about HP, in book or film form, even though the films cannot be regarded as masterpieces. I love LotR though, book and film. If we all liked the same things, life, art and other things of creation, would be less interesting, shall we say. :)

• Seedorf

Dec 21st 2011, 13:05

Oh, and the trailer gave me that same feeling of wonder and excitement, I felt back when I saw the trailer for Fellowship.

• Heisenberg

Dec 21st 2011, 13:18

@Clarence, that's my point though, i just don't get why they are THAT popular, and it makes me wonder if I am genuinely missing something by not enjoying them, you know?

• Heisenberg

Dec 21st 2011, 13:23

aahh, i meant @Seedorf, can't believe i did that, lol.

• JamieTSB

Dec 21st 2011, 15:15

@Heisenberg, if you don't enjoy those type of things then you are not personally missing anything. You enjoy the films you like, and let other people know your feelings, that is what a site like this is for. Good on you for following your own course. My girlfriend hates the LOTR movies, and I dislike many of the films that she likes, but we live together and love each other. Variety is choice and choice is variety. And yes, you did hear right, a fan of LOTR has a girlfriend!

• Jimbo81

Dec 21st 2011, 15:20

@Heisenberg - I think the reason these films are so popular is that they are fantastical, grand and sweeping, but with an intimate emotional core. That and the fact that the quality of EVERY department shines through; there's spectacle, action, wonder, excitement, humour, sadness, dread, foreboding, literally everything you could want to get your jollies from! To be fair though, do you like fantasy at all? Star Wars? Willow? The Neverending Story? Because if you don't, and your tastes are more geared to real world drama etc, then you're obviously not going to like LOTR!! Horses for courses mate, but I am interested to know your take on the 'fantasy' genre as a whole.

• marc96

Dec 21st 2011, 15:43

omg i cannot wait !! the chills started right from the beginning where howard shores awesome score brings us right back to the shire... Although my expectations are high im not expecting it to top the lord of the rings trilogy as they are my all time favourite films and think of them as cinematic masterpieces (i know many will disagree but each to their own)

• Trickycustomer

Dec 21st 2011, 15:50

I can't see how this will would fail in any shape or form. PJ is truly ment to create these films. Looks stunning

• Heisenberg

Dec 21st 2011, 17:08

@jimbo, You are right in saying I prefer "real world" drama etc, there is no doubt about that. But i have enjoyed fantastical movies in the past, and even now(Toy Story, Pans Labyrinth,, anything to do with space, ghosts etc), i do have the childish imaginative side that can let the reality go and really get into a movie like those. But its just those two sets of movies...LOTR and HP...that i just can't connect with, and i don't know why, because there is no reason why i shouldn't enjoy them, i just don't, and as i say i wonder if i'm missing out. I was the same with the sopranos, didnt care for it, then one day my friend sat me down and made me watch a lot of series 1, then i watched the entire show in a week when I was off work. But sitting down with these movies, i just can't get into them, and it just makes my brain wonder if it's missing the point lol.

• anant

Dec 21st 2011, 17:13

i loved this more than i loved the rises trailer, oh this is not good!

Dec 21st 2011, 17:16

I like LOTR but hated Willow. Lucas couldnt get the rights to The Hobbit , so he ripped it off instead and hoped no-one noticed. Genius. Anyway. movie looks ace, can't wait to see Smaug.

• Murphy0806

Dec 21st 2011, 18:32

Wow, everyone's being so nice to each other. Am I on the right site?

Dec 21st 2011, 18:56

Hey its christmas! Everyone's in good cheer, hostilities will resume in the near future. An Abi Titmuss to you all ! :D

• marc96

Dec 21st 2011, 21:59

@TheFilmMaster Avatar's a drama? lol

Dec 21st 2011, 22:22

I remember when Willow came out looking at the promotion at the back of a box of cornflakes thinking it was the coolest film of the year. I was 12 LOL. The problem with Lucas is anything he touches he ruins, just look at the last Indiana Jones movie, plus he spent the last 15 years killing off the Star Wars franchaise. Anyway Avatar and Changeling didnt win best picture Oscars, Im guessing you meant to write that comment in the 'Oscar Contenders' feature.

• SiMan

Dec 22nd 2011, 0:04

Wow, just simply...Wow. Its as if they've found some old footage from LOTR that they never released. I was initially impressed with X-Men First Class's opening scene and Vaughan re-shooting the opening scene to Singers X-Men to keep the look and feel of that scene the same........this just s*its all over that! I understand that different directors have different visions and we seem lucky to have Peter Jackson returning to the franchise, but that is one thing that alwasy narked me in films - when a sequel came out and the settings/scenery completely changes tone, even though its supposed to be the same places. Cannot wait for this film.

• Seedorf

Dec 22nd 2011, 13:39

@Heisenberg. I like what you did there. Referring to me as Clarence. I actually had the Dutchman in mind, when I chose my username. :p

Dec 22nd 2011, 23:32

The Dwarves singing about the Misty Mountain and Shore's epic score gave me goosebumps.