The Hobbit looking likely to become a trilogy

Peter Jackson in talks with Warner

The Hobbit's unexpected journey may be taking an extra twist or two after all, with Heat Vision reporting that Peter Jackson has entered into talks with Warner Bros as to the possibility of adding a third film to the two already in the can.

Jackson had already hinted at his plan for a trilogy at this year's Comic-Con, and now it seems as though the director has crystallised his ambitions, with producers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens already exploring the logistics of a third film.

According to Heat Vision, talks have gone well so far, with the studio reportedly on board conditional on financial arrangements proving agreeable. "If we're going to do it," says a source close to the production, "we have to make a decision soon. It's strongly driven by the filmmakers' desire to tell more of the story."

This being Jackson, the plan isn't simply to spread the original text more thinly across the three films, but instead to explore the book's various appendices, which include a number of characters and stories not included in the primary story. It's an approach that Jackson has already attempted to employ while filming the first two films.

"We haven’t just adapted The Hobbit," he explains. "We’ve adapted that book plus great chunks of his appendices and woven it all together. The movie explains where Gandalf goes; the book never does. We’ve explained it using Tolkien’s own notes. That helped inform the tone of the movie, because it allowed us to pull in material he wrote in the Lord Of The Rings era and incorporate it with The Hobbit."

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in the UK on 14 December 2012.

Would you welcome a third Hobbit film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jul 25th 2012, 8:15

I read the Hobbit in a day once. Are the films each going to be an hour long? I genuinely can't muster the energy to sit through another trilogy

• bencobra

Jul 25th 2012, 8:31

@ChrisWootton I completely agree. Three films seems excessive. The Hobbit is a far inferior story to LOTR too. Seems that money could be the only motivator for this decision.

Jul 25th 2012, 9:13

Yeah I agree, 2 films is a stretch but do-able, 3 is just milking it.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jul 25th 2012, 9:44

Ive not read the book, after forcing myself to get through the LOTR books I could never do that to myself. So cant comment on the story. However, having loved the LOTR films time and time again I cant deny Im really looking forward to The Hobbit

• McSerious

Jul 25th 2012, 10:53

The Hobbit is much easier reading than LOTR. Its arguably better written in fact, far more fluid. I'm very dubious about this three film idea... Sounds exactly like spreading material thinly accross three films.

• robyoung81

Jul 25th 2012, 11:56

I read the Hobbit a lot quicker than any of the LOTR books, the language is a lot easier to get through and i found it the most enjoyable. I personally am happy with this, the LOTR films are still up there as some of the best films i have ever seen at the cinema and i trust PJ to do it properly rather than dragging it out. He said himself he'll be using all the appendices and additional text that Tolkein added later on and not just padding the films. Roll on December!

• SiMan

Jul 25th 2012, 12:20

Isn't he taking bits from other books though - the appendices and what-not, so there is more stuff that they can adapt.

• ilikescifi

Jul 25th 2012, 12:56

Jackson said his use of super-HD, 48fps 3d was a way of 'future-proofing' the hobbit films, maybe he is also 'future proofing' the storyline, milking every appendice, expanding on interesting details, to give us the full experience of the book and it's expanded universe. Better to do it all at once and achieve a consistent tone; look what bloody Lucas has done-adding bits of s**t here and there whenever he feels like it

• joeymac

Jul 25th 2012, 13:08

They had to condense huge portions of an incredibly boring book to create one of the greatest film trilogies ever. They're now having to scrabble around for more content from quite a fun and exciting book to create another trilogy. Will this one be any good? I certainly hope so, but even more certainly, I doubt it. Come one, PJ, please prove me wrong.

• FBJRider

Jul 25th 2012, 14:03

Warner Bro's would stupid not to. Obviously people are still going to see them. He could spread the books to 10 films and everyone would still go, I'm not saying that's a good idea but it'd still work. I for one am all for this as long as Jackson is at the helm, he's a big enough fan of Tolkien to make another trilogy work.

• mattburgess

Jul 25th 2012, 14:57

This is fantastic news, and I can't wait! I don't know if filming "The Hobbit" as it appears in book form would fill three films, just as I couldn't comment on whether filming "The Lord of the Rings" as it appears in book form could fill as few as three films, but Peter, Fran and Phillipa did a fantastic job of condensing the LOTR, and taking from the extensive appendices, and filming what needed to be filmed in as many films as was needed. In the same way, they have stated outright numerous times, that they are filling in the blanks of the book based on the appendices, which, if you've read them you'll know, have a huge amount of material. I don't think they would do this on a whim, and I trust the team to make the right creative choices. Bring on an HBO ten-episode miniseries of The Silmarillion!!! Epic.

Jul 25th 2012, 15:27

I love that universe so I can't complain,

• georgeWW

Jul 26th 2012, 0:19

with the amount of of information in his appendices and notes that were to be the revised version of 'The Hobbit' I have no doubt that PJ could make another fantastic trilogy he has not made a single bad film in his life I'm sure that rule won't be broken anytime soon

• ChrisWootton

Jul 26th 2012, 8:12

The Lovely Bones?..

• bencobra

Jul 30th 2012, 13:40

@georgeWW That is not true. The Lovely Bones is a truly shocking adaptation of Sebold's book. King Kong is pretty poor also.