The Hobbit will get DVD extended editions

Prepare to be swamped with special features

Back when The Lord Of The Rings films were being released in cinemas each Christmas, an extra frisson of excitement was always reserved for the unveiling of a new extended edition on DVD.

That festive treat is set to re-emerge once again with The Hobbit, with Warner Bros confirming that An Unexpected Journey will be released in its extended form on DVD towards the end of 2013.

Given that The Hobbit has already been stretched from two films to three, it remains to be seen just how much footage will be restored, although we can’t pretend we’re not excited by the added value to the home video release.

The extended editions of the LOTR series were always groaning with behind the scenes material, and of all the DVD special features we’ve seen, the Appendices remain right up there as the most interesting and involving.

If Peter Jackson can repeat the trick, that’s our Christmas present sorted for the next three years. Meanwhile, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in UK cinemas on 14 December 2012.

Will you be buying the extended edition when it arrives on DVD? Tell us, below!

Comments

• revan1138

Oct 5th 2012, 11:30

another cash in, they are bound to release it 6 months after the inevitable vanilla disc at easter that will be avaliable.double dipping comes to mind and i for one am sick of it. honestly i'm not overly excited by the trailer.

• apo1978

Oct 5th 2012, 11:52

Just avoid the cash-in first disc then. Thats what I did with LOTR. I, for one, am totally up for this! Bring it on!!!!! Personally, I love the trailer - can't wait.

• mattburgess

Oct 5th 2012, 12:27

Love it. Want it. Definitely buying it. Worse for me, actually, because I'll be waiting for the complete extended Blu-Ray box set, to go with my LOTR complete blu ray box set. Personally, I don't see how it's a cash in. Just know which copy you want, and buy that one. Nuff said.

• SiMan

Oct 5th 2012, 13:14

Oh yes, thank you Mr Jackson. Have we any word yet on the running times though (of the theatrical and extended editions)? I don't want to just have 8 minutes of new footage - i want a full on 50 minute extravaganza!

Oct 5th 2012, 13:19

Of course I'll be buying these on Blu Ray.

• mattburgess

Oct 5th 2012, 13:26

Anybody else fancy a 10-episode HBO series of The Silmarillion?

Oct 5th 2012, 13:48

Sorry all I read was The Hobbit will generate $$$$$ if we milk it dry.

• smellyhands

Oct 5th 2012, 13:55

3 cinema releases and 6 dvd releases from one book. Well they might as well, as it will be the last story of Middle Earth they can pump out. What am I saying. It could be rebooted in 10 years at the rate Hollywood is going.

Oct 5th 2012, 14:15

For the last time it's not one book it's The Hobbit + The LOTR Appendices

• smellyhands

Oct 5th 2012, 14:20

Its a good thing I like milk then.

Oct 5th 2012, 14:37

I am sure The Silmarillion will be attempted at some stage but I doubt Jackson will be at the helm.

• mattburgess

Oct 5th 2012, 15:19

Surely it's one thing to cash in on s**t films, but if the films are great, does it really matter? We benefit from it too. Are you just annoyed that someone who isn't you is making lots of money?

• smellyhands

Oct 5th 2012, 15:55

Loved The Fellowship. Didn't like The Two Towers. Thought The Return of the King was good. So its a bit presumptuous to suggest that these will all be great. Peter Jackson did make King Kong after all. Also I will refer to my earlier post "Its a good thing I like milk then". Meaning, if the milk is good I'll drink it.

• tomevans

Oct 6th 2012, 0:04

Hang on, if the "extended" scenes are good enough then we should get to see them at the cinema, seeing that we paid for it and all!! If they`re not good enough, then don't stick em in a crappy "special addition" just to rake in a bit of extra cash. And please this time Mr Jackson, dont ruin this one by having an unbearable ending where it takes half an hour for everyone to say goodbye to each other.

• Darthshellers

Oct 6th 2012, 5:46

Why are total bell-ends commenting here? How is this possibly a "cash-in" if the announcement is made months before the movies are released theatrically? The LOTR Extended Editions were also announced before the theatrical releases on DVD, so everyone had an element of choice. And anyway, so what? Do people not realise that cinema is a business that has to make profit in order to find huge fantasy epics?

• Darthshellers

Oct 6th 2012, 5:47

*fund

• mattburgess

Oct 6th 2012, 9:21

@Darthshellers - couldn't agree more.

• sicksam123

Oct 6th 2012, 10:19

Wow, let me give these imbecilic idiots an education. THIS IS NOT A CASH IN. Peter Jackson does not expect people to buy both, he releases two different films to suit two different audiences- casual viewers and fans. The theatrical is a faster paced, fat trimmed experience but (if the release follows suit with LotR) it will have a few special features (unlike the Avatar theatrical, which was a complete cash in). Scenes are taken out because they either make the film too long or slow it down too much. It's done to please any movie-goer who dozes off during any more than 5 seconds of dialogue. Then you have the lovingly made Extended Editions with hours of commentaries, extra scenes and behind-the-scenes material from every department. They actually BUILT the film all over again by finishing visual effects shots after the theatrical is released and re scoring the movie with Howard Shore and his orchestra- This is not a cash-in it is sheer DEDICATION.

Oct 6th 2012, 15:25

Nerd-rage lol "Grrr... I'm so angry I left the house and socialised!"

• smellyhands

Oct 6th 2012, 15:55

@ Darkshellers and sicksam123. No need for name calling lads. Personally I think they could achieve the story they are telling in 2 movies perfectly.

• aljen181

Oct 7th 2012, 15:04

I'll buy both editions. I have every single version of the dvds and Blu-rays of The Lord of the Rings, and I'm not gonna stop now :-) I wonder if these releases will include the 3D versions... Or if they'll be 48 fps?

• ChrisWootton

Oct 8th 2012, 12:44

Will the contents page of the lord of the rings be adapted as well?

• FBMLaing

Dec 13th 2012, 19:51

Not sure the film really needs a special edition with extra footage. The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey is quite long anyway and I am not sure there can be the justification to add more, in the say way that Jackson did with LOTR's.

• pjcoutts

Dec 15th 2012, 19:58

I have just returned from watching the hobbit in the cinema and I WILL be buying the extended edition collectors set when it hits the shelves (infact theres every chance I will be pre ordering it) I for one can't wait.

• philkemp

Jan 26th 2013, 14:00

i will defo be buying the extended edition for FANS of the film cant wait to see what minitures they will be putting in with it too ....

• OlfussRedAxe

Apr 2nd 2013, 12:22

Will be waiting for the extended editions as I did for the other three, but will not get the ones with the miniatures, will pick them up later for pennies.

• ryannmj

May 18th 2013, 3:39

I love the extended editions! In fact, I didn't know there were as such. Now I have watched the extended edition of the Fellowship of the Ring, I'm wanting for more. This extended edition is best for the The Hobbit! Please Mr. Peter Jackson produce the extended version of The Hobbit. I hope it will be available in ours. Two thumbs up for The Hobbit!! So excited for the part 2 in December this year! Woohoo!! Blessings