Razzies 2011: Last Airbender and Eclipse top nominations

Worst films of 2010 competing for Top of the Flops...

The 2011 Razzie nominations are here, and M. Night Shyamalan's big screen adaptation of television cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender is up for 8 including new category 'Worst Eye-Gouging Use of 3D'.

Twilight Saga: Eclipse attracted an equal number of nods.

Shyamalan is maintaining a Razzie record that includes nominations - and wins - for The Happening (2008) and Lady in the Water (2006).

In the past Shyamalan has stated that he never listens to criticism of his work - "I just shut the door and write." His current projects include making two sequels to The Last Airbender.

British actor Dev Patel picked up a Worst Supporting Actor nom, alongside fellow Airbender alumni and Eclipse actor Jackson Rathbone.

Other films that received multiple nods were Sex and the City 2, which gained 7 nominations, and the unloved Jennifer Aniston romcom The Bounty Hunter, which gained 3.

Critically loathed spoof Vampires Suck completed the Worst Picture line-up.

The Razzie Awards ceremony is a great place to spot Hollywood's good sports - however, we predict that Mr Shyamalan will be staying in to write his next magnum opus on the big night.

Did the judges miss out your favourite cinematic dud of 2010? Leave a comment below...

Comments

Jan 24th 2011, 17:40

Seems like 'The new Hitchcock' has become 'The new Uwe Boll' only Unbreakable 2 can save him...oops! He gave that away.

• dex2010

Jan 24th 2011, 18:10

Its NOT the worst film of the year by a long shot! critics hate shyamalan. Some say justified I say unjustified.The Last Airbender is no better or worse than The prince of persia or The sorcerers apprentice!.The worst films of the year surely have to go to movies such as Vampires suck and Repo men, or c**p like the Bounty hunter. I could go on and on and on.......

Jan 24th 2011, 18:38

Jessica Alba isn't the greatest actress around but her performance in The Killer Inside Me doesn't warrant a Razzie nomination.

• dex2010

Jan 24th 2011, 18:59

@dalidab1982, I cant say iv seen Sex and the city 2 or Gullivers travels but I believe they are truly awful. Little Fockers was ok, Clash of the titans ok.In regards to Shyamalan I really liked Signs and the Village, especially the Village! Lady in the water was a sweet story that got lost in itself.The Happening didnt work but was still original. Thats not to say being original made it work, it didnt.But I believe Shyamalan Will deliver more quality movies. And if Devil is a sign of whats to come with the Nightchronicles project, well then im excited. But for me he will never better Unbreakable!

Jan 24th 2011, 19:17

"I always knew you were a bender," Still better than Lucas' direlogue.

• dex2010

Jan 24th 2011, 19:30

lol what a funny line.

• Gav83

Jan 24th 2011, 20:21

I think Shyamalan needs to open that door & stick his right out; so someone can chop it the f**k off. His movie are bloody awful. I was contemplating asking for my money back after watching The Village (worst twist ever). Even The Sixth Sense seems a bit tainted to me now. They've just gotten steadily worse. I liked Unbreakable and Signs but mainly because of Willis, Gibson & Phoenix.

• MikeyRix

Jan 24th 2011, 21:28

I have only five words/ number to say to this: "Clash of the Titans" 2010. Why has Sam Worthington missed out on a Worse Actor nomination??

Jan 25th 2011, 1:36

I am surprised Nicholas Cage avoided any nominations this year.

• dregstudios

Jan 25th 2011, 2:19

Sex and the City 2 was definitely the worst movie of the year. How could Hollywood produce such a culturally insensitive movie so full of stereotypes and bigotry? It should sweep the Razzies! I offered up my top picks of the year on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-10-movie-picks-of-2010.html

• dex2010

Jan 26th 2011, 20:06

By the way The Last Airbender didnt flop it actually done very well world wide ,So it cant be put classed as a flop!