Traditional romantic comedy made a comeback this weekend across the pond when The Proposal arrived at the top of the box office with $34.1 million.
It’s the biggest opener ever for Sandra Bullock, and managed to overcome the box office behemoths The Hangover and Up, with the raunchy comedy slipping to second with $27 million and Pixar’s latest down to third with $21.3 million.
Dodgy historical comedy Year One arrived in fourth place with $20.2 million, while The Taking Of Pelham 123 had to make do with fifth, nabbing $11.3 million.
Here, then, a full top 10 for the weekend…
- The Proposal ($34.1 million)
- The Hangover ($26.8 million)
- Up ($21.3 million)
- Year One ($20.2 million)
- The Taking Of Pelham 123 ($11.3 million)
- Night At The Museum 2 ($7.3 million)
- Star Trek ($4.7 million)
- Land Of The Lost ($3.9 million)
- Imagine That ($3.1 million)
- Terminator Salvation ($3.0 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]