The Thing prequel gets a slime-free first trailer

“Let me show you why you flew 10,000 miles”

the thing

The equation of paranoia plus snow plus screaming can only equal one thing – you guessed it, the first trailer for The Thing has crept online.

Considering this is from the minds behind the more than decent Dawn Of The Dead remake, we should probably give this new Thing a little slack.

But that’s difficult to do when it sets itself up as nothing more than a retread of John Carpenter’s masterful 1982 scarefest.

Being promoted as a prequel to Carpenter’s film (that's hard to believe considering they didn't even bother changing the title), this new ice-encrusted chiller is helmed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr, and follows the same basic premise.

On the plus side, Mary Elizabeth Winstead (aka Ramona Flowers) appears to hold her own as a Ripley-like flame-throwing heroine. And Joel Edgerton's involved in some capacity.

Check out the trailer below…

The Thing opens 2 December.

Feel robbed? Or think this Thing could be good? Talk to us below...

Comments

• FBJCrowfoot

Jul 15th 2011, 8:40

nothing new here. Looks exactly what you would have imaged before the first one began. I would have gone to see something like The Thing Attacks New York....

Jul 15th 2011, 9:21

Looks incredibly generic. Winstead is woefully miscast and why put in an English professor type who talks like Basil Exposition? Disappointing

Jul 15th 2011, 9:23

And what the f**k was going on with the snow mobile crashing through the ice and landing in the world of Tron?

Jul 15th 2011, 9:26

Bet £10,000 that it doesn't tie up at the end. With the look of it I just can't see 2 Norwegians surviving at the end. Sorry, Carpenter's version is possibly my favourite film of all time. f*****g Hollywood. They're a bunch of cunts

Jul 15th 2011, 9:43

Looks like Alien vs Predator. And apologies for the c-bomb, I was fairly confident that it would get bleeped out.

• jonnykerr13

Jul 15th 2011, 9:52

Looks like just another horror. Doesn't look particularly brilliant, but not terrible either. Can almost feel the 3 star review.

• Blackasenna

Jul 15th 2011, 9:55

Think this looks awsome! As for tieing it in with Carpenter's film, there is a fast montage of shots around 2:10 into the trailer. You can clearly see a Norwegian dressed in the gear and holding a powerfull rifle like the start of the 1982 film. Really looking forward to this as a huge Thing fan. Fingers crossed it is good enough that a follow up to Carpenter's film is given the green light, so we can see what happend to McReady & Chiles.

• FBJCrowfoot

Jul 15th 2011, 10:11

I love the smell of a C-bomb in the morning.... and great to see Jack Palance make a cameo, he looks better than ever

Jul 15th 2011, 10:12

I don't think anyone wants to see what happens with McReady and Chiles, thats the whole point, thats the beauty of the original, the audience carries on the story in thier heads, like the ending of the Italian Job. This prequel should of been done by a Norweigan film crew with subtitles to give it an added sense of authenticity and with practical effects, not CGI. Average CGI makes everything look like Roger Rabbit, its horrible. If Len Wiseman does Escape from New York there will be a shytestorm hitting Hollywood

Jul 15th 2011, 10:17

Hadouken... I'm with you... let's storm the gates!

• flashfanatic1

Jul 15th 2011, 10:35

Umm isn't this supposed to be a Norweigen facility if so why so many Americans???

• BigPaul

Jul 15th 2011, 10:47

One question you have ask yourselves is would you prefer a remake of Carpenters film or a prequel??? Myself I much prefer the idea of the prequel, if they re-made the 82 film that wouldn't be so good. I quite like seeing what happened before the events that we see in films, like Texas chainsaw masacre the begining and underworld 3, most people poo pooed these films (and they have every right to if they don't like them) but I found them quite interesting seeing how the characters got from where they were to where they are now. Other films that could have good prequles made could be: Blade runner, grosse point blank, reign of fire, lost boys.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jul 15th 2011, 11:04

Calm down lads, its only a prequel. If it stinks we still have the original to make it look even worse, if its good, we all win. Give it a chance, then slag it

• sparks76

Jul 15th 2011, 11:20

im looking forward to this. i just hope they keep the cgi to a minimum.

Jul 15th 2011, 11:24

I know I know... wait for it to come out etc. I was just hoping for something that was faithful to the 1982 film. From the trailer it looks like they've just remade it and even used the same music. I'm just very disappointed... I'm going to watch the original and then Carpenter's over the weekend... crying all the way through.

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 11:48

During the making of the film, the film-makers went out of their way to stress they are using old-school techniques and in-camera effects and keeping the CGI to a minimum ... but then along comes the trailer and one of the main shots looks ropey CGI to me. This is apparently a prequel, set at the Norweigan base prior to the 1982 version, so maybe that's why it comes across as feeling almost like a remake, the setting and set-up will be very samey and familiar. I'm still looking forward to it, but not as excited as I was this time last year when I first heard about it and concerned that it's been shunted from it's original April release to October and now to the beginning of December .. the last horror film that got moved in this sort of pattern was The Descent: Part II ... consider that a warning sign!

• murphy

Jul 15th 2011, 11:55

Dear hollywood,why not cut out the expensive and time consuming process of remaking/rebooting all of my favourite films and instead just catch a flight to the UK and s**t directly into my eyeballs. yours sincerly a disheartened film fan.

Jul 15th 2011, 12:03

Thanks Murphy, that comment just cheered me up.

Jul 15th 2011, 12:08

Blackasenna, you are right. There is indeed the shot of a Norwegian with a rifle and it looks quite faithful, nice spot. Man, I hate the fact that I'm going to see this...

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 12:16

:) Chris, have faith, it might not be all that bad ... says a fellow disheartened fan :)

• Blackasenna

Jul 15th 2011, 12:49

Why does it look like a carbon copy of the '82 film? Well when MacReady and Coppper visit the burning base of the "Sweed's". It is in fact the American Base after the film crew blow it up for the end of the movie. So to stay as true to the "Original" (82) they had to almost re-build the american camp. I have also heard that this film will end in a way that leads you straight into Carpenter's movie, so they can be watch a one big movie!

Jul 15th 2011, 12:54

Thanks trist808... had a beery work night last night and was (as is always the case) slightly over excited about seeing the trailer. I've watched it a few times and it's not as bad as I first feared (I've calmed down a bit now). Still hate the English guy though and not overly impressed with WInstead. Anything Thing related is very close to my heart... my mum (instead of reading me bedtime stories) used to tell me about movies and The Thing was one of her favourites... I couldn't wait til I was old enough to see it and loved it when I finally saw it. It freaked my older brother out so much (he was 16 at the time) that he kept sleeping in my parents room on the floor for about 3 or 4 days.. Somehow I can't see the prequel doing the same but you're right... you never know.

• KerrAvon

Jul 15th 2011, 13:08

I sense a 3 star review when this gets released. In the meantime I'll go back to watching foreign films as they are making the best stuff right now.

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 13:11

I first saw The Thing late one night on TV when I was 14 years old and it scared the Hell out of me. It's one on my all time favourite films and par to fmy film education in the 80's and the idea of going back to that place has always intrigued me. I doubt this is going to break any new ground though, because as a prequel they are constrained by what has to follow next (unless they do a "Lucas" and just ignore future history) so Blackasenna, in theory, it should end with a helicopter taking off after a poor little doggie making a run for it ... I try and stay upbeat and positive about most films until I see them. I must admit my feelings on this are mixed, I keep swinging back and forth ... December seeming even further away now.

Jul 15th 2011, 13:21

Why does everywhere else (apart from TF and Empire) say it's coming out October? I'm sure it's out in the UK on the 14th (or something).. Seems odd that they'd release a trailer 6 months before it's release. TF can you confirm this or let us know why the date has been moved?

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 13:42

It's definitely Dec 2nd, the release date was only recently changed by Universal.

• BennettsVest

Jul 15th 2011, 13:51

I think RaveyDaveyGravy is absolutely right. It's disheartening when one of our favourite films gets the reboot/remake/reimagining treatment. Much as I might not think it's a particularly good expenditure of time or money, I'll still go and see it, you know, just in case... That said, good or bad, at least we'll always have Carpenter's version. By the way ChrisWooton, your mum sounds like a fantastic woman! I do the exact same thing with my own kids!

• BennettsVest

Jul 15th 2011, 13:52

• BennettsVest

Jul 15th 2011, 13:53

Bloody repeating comments...

• murphy

Jul 15th 2011, 13:53

eh it says october on the trailer,and i've watched the trailer a couple of times and i'm just not feeling it,winsteads character is no macready and the john carpenter version is just too good to be f****d with,it freaked me out when i was younger and it's one of the few films that still has the same effect on me now i'm in my thirties even though i've watched it loads the tension and atmosphere are f*****g amazing,i know it's only a short trailer but i don't think they could ever capture what carpenter done in his version.

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 14:08

The film was only pushed back recently here in the UK (in the last week or so actually) hence the trailer, which is no doubt the American one anyway - so it could still be October over in the States, has that date on it. Film releases often change and they're not always day and date with America, they do sometimes still get filsm before us.

Jul 15th 2011, 14:38

Cheers BennettsVest, yeah she's awesome. Be prepared for your kids to be on the right side of geek! Really started my love of film off... that and seeing Raiders at the flicks... changed my life!

• FBFBarrett

Jul 15th 2011, 17:26

Wow. Is it possible that someone makes a movie without a thousand haters (who couldn't even run a camera much less write a script) say a million bad things about every movie they see? You hating posers should put your money where your mouth is and make a movie that you want to see. Its easy to be an emo internet critic that hates everything from the comfort of your computer. I hope you miss out on a really good movie because you feel like you need to prove how cool you are on a message board. This movie may or may not turn out great, but it's probably better than anything you'll lazy posers make in your life.

• ScottFree

Jul 15th 2011, 19:11

can't agree more with you dalidab...!! trailer looks good.....I'm excited about this one!

• murphy

Jul 15th 2011, 21:35

@FBFBarrett What's emo got to do with not liking something? And it's nothing to do with trying to look cool,if i like something i'll say so,if i don't like something i'll say so,it's called an opinion they're like arseholes,everybody's got one! So chill the f**k out! i'm sure there are films you don't like,have you ever shot one?And ScottFree,don't agree with dalidab,you'll give him a b***r hahahaha

• murphy

Jul 15th 2011, 22:15

hahahaha you may be a deviant dalidab,but at least you're honest!

Jul 15th 2011, 23:17

11 comments in one thread by Chris, I think that's a new record. How long before dalidab beats it ?

Jul 16th 2011, 1:02

Why not remake bad movies?

• Trickycustomer

Jul 16th 2011, 9:00

been looking forward to this one. as long as its set in the right time along with the other thing movie and shows how things happened to the norwegian base {which we also see in the thing} it should be ok. plus the crerators did say they wanted it to completely tie in to carpenter's fiom. hope and pray folks, hope and pray

• superman56

Jul 17th 2011, 12:01

It looks good but think i am going to watch the orginal first but still looking forward to thins i really supreised that it is not in 3d

Jul 18th 2011, 9:27

Ha, how's 12 Ali? Just a bit overexcited about a new version of the thing. FBFBarrett - Lazy Poser? Wow, I've been called many things in my life but never a lazy poser... almost a compliment. Superman56... definitely watch the Carpenter version... great film.

• GarthMarenghi

Jul 20th 2011, 0:17

"@Hadouken76 - Why not remake bad movies?" I know what you're getting at, but I've still never really been able to see the point of that either. Why remake anything? Instead of saying redoing a bad film is a good opportunity to take another crack at a good idea that was poorly executed originally, why not just ignore it and make something new and original? I suppose because that's hard work, and nobody in the mainstream film industry wants to actually earn a living, they want some other poor bugger to have done all the hard work for them so they can cash in while sneering at the 'dated' source material and the people who care about it. At least Carpenter's The Thing had the good grace to change the title and the entire plot, just keeping the idea and location. It is, to all intents and purposes, a completely new film.