Thing prequel gets Spring start

March of the shape-shifter...

While a cast is yet to be announced, the date is set and the key players are coming together to begin work on the much-anticipated prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing.

Director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. (behind the forthcoming Army of the Dead) will be creating his vision from a script by Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar TV reboot) and Eric Heisserer (Nightmare on Elm Street remake)... So it's not just the current cold snap that's giving us the shivers.

While much is known about the setting (it had to be that original Norwegian base) and about the location of production (Toronto), little is revealed about the mood of this piece.

Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. has barely directed traffic so far, though he has the minimum required background in music video, and the verdict on Eric Heisserer's Elm Street penmanship has yet to be seen, but at least writer Ronald D. Moore is bred from solid TV stock.

Carpenter's cult 1982 classic, itself a remake of 1951s The Thing From Another World, is a masterclass in suspense, creature effects and beards - so the prequel has a lot of work to do.

We will refrain from writing this off just yet - at least until the cast is in place - but this one is giving us the chills so far.

So will this terrible trio live up to expectation? Or will they leave us out in the cold?

Comments

• Dortmunder70

Jan 4th 2010, 14:13

Great idea, Ronald D Moore is a good sign, I don't understand why John Carpenter doesnt just direct this? It might be an ideal chance to redeem himself after (Shudder) "The Ghosts of Mars" & "Escape from LA"

• Illustratedman

Jan 4th 2010, 14:50

While I have great respect for Carpenter's early movies (including this cult classic) it's pretty obvious he 'fell off his rocker' long ago. There's no juice left. It's best someone new lead this project although the names mentioned don't instill much confidence in this production. But miracles do happen...

• sp4cej0ckey

Jan 4th 2010, 14:53

Theres always the worry here that this could follow the current trend and turn into a rubbish, cartoony looking cgi fest, but done right its got masses of potential. Bad idea suggesting Capenter directs tho. I love his version, but he's a man of his time who inspired other film makers just like Romero did.. Time to let someone else have a go.

• BabyDiego

Jan 4th 2010, 18:32

The real point is, why does it need a sequel in the first place?

• annunziato

Jan 4th 2010, 20:42

The thing is in my top 3 all time horrors but as much as I loved it I have serious reservations about this one. 1, how can it be truly suspenseful when you know the ending..i.e. the remaining norwegian will get shot in the head and the alien is the dog! 2, clearly this is being made because the first is much loved but i can only see disappointment. i am not against remakes or sequels if done well and we all know that they are rarely a success in the end but there have been exceptions. I absolutely love the thing but as much as this peaks my interest i just can't see how it will work or the point other than financial

• koolerking

Jan 6th 2010, 2:27

The problem with this idea is that YES, you're going to the story line from the original (the Norwegian base), but we already know what happens to them (with no survivors), so what's the point to a sequel??

• pickle1972

Mar 15th 2010, 2:35

The Thing ('82) has always been on my all time horror favorite list beside Jaws. My dad was freaked as a kid by the original Thing from the 50's. Anything associated with the film is more fuel for fans, but I agree they could screw this up, and I hope they don't. Give Heijningen Jr.a chance.Hopefully he was a fan too and consulted Carpenter on capturing the same haunting,lonely and gory aspect of the film. Please don't over CGI this film! We want to see some special effects but keep it real. One thing I would be interested in seeing is what the alien looked like upon it's first excavation from the ship. Maybe it had taken on the form of previous worlds? Sure we would like to see MacReady and Childs in a sequel but we'll have to wait. Till then, sit back and enjoy.

• pickle1972

Mar 15th 2010, 3:00

Huge fan of The Thing '82 and my dad was freaked out by the original Thing in the 50's. I'm willing to give Heijningen Jr. a chance just because it's more fuel for all who want more at this point. The sequel doesn't look like it's going to materialize for a while so why not. He should consult with Carpenter and capture the same gore and hauntingly lonely aspect of the film. I'd actually like to see what the creature looked like when the Norwegian camp found it. Please don't over CGI this film, keep it real. Sure we want to see some special effects but don't over do it. The soundtrack (like the original) will play a huge key in setting the mood for the film.