Clearly, Michael Jackson fans were ready for more - concert film This Is It, comprised of rehearsal footage and videos shot for his new planned tour took in $21.3 million this weekend in the US.
But while that figure and the more than $100 million it grabbed around the world are both impressive, they might not quite be as huge as Sony might have been wanting. It isn't stopping the studio from expanding the film's run beyond the original two weeks, mind.
That meant that Paranormal Activity had to settle for second place, and it took in a healthy $16.5 million, pushing it on towards a likely goal of around $100 million. Law Abiding Citizen rose one place to third, making $7.3 million.
Couples Retreat nabbed fourth place and $6.1 million, while Saw VI scared up $5.5 million in fifth place.
Your top 10, then…
- Michael Jackson's This Is It ($21.3 million)
- Paranormal Activity ($16.5 million)
- Law Abiding Citizen ($7.3 million)
- Couples Retreat ($6.1 million)
- Saw VI ($5.5 million)
- Where The Wild Things Are ($5 million)
- The Stepfather ($3.4 million)
- Astro Boy ($3.1 million)
- Amelia ($3 million)
- Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant ($2.8 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]