This Means War gets a new trailer

"May the best man win"

20th Century Fox have released a new international trailer for action rom-com This Means War, in which Tom Hardy and Chris Pine do their level best to out-charm, out-sleuth and out-gun each other in order to win the affections of the lovely Reese Witherspoon.

Hardy and Pine play a pair of secret agents whose long-standing friendship is put under serious strain when they discover they are both dating the same woman (Witherspoon). Unwilling to give her up (or to lose face in front of each other), the pair soon find themselves going to outrageous lengths to ensure they get the girl.

Check out the new teaser below…

We’re not one hundred per cent sold on the chemistry between the two leads, and it doesn’t help that Hardy looks as though he could defeat Pine with a flick of his little finger. Still, the action looks suitably OTT, and the high-concept set-up should yield a fair few laughs along the way.

With a bit of luck we’ll end up with an action-packed rom-com along the lines of Mr. & Mrs Smith. And failing that, there’s always the off-chance that Hardy’s character will go feral and eat Chris Pine’s face off. We’re not holding out much hope for the latter though. Where’s Bane when you need him, eh?

This Mean War opens in the UK on 17 February 2012.

Light-hearted, knockabout caper, or smug irritant - what do you make of this one? Thoughts below, please.

Comments

• writerdave87

Dec 6th 2011, 8:22

I have a feeling this was made between the Fighter to mid-Bane preparation... Hardy looks like a freaking tank!!! I like actors but this looks pretty naff tbh :/

• Heisenberg

Dec 6th 2011, 8:55

i dunno, i think it looks fun, its obviously not taking itself seriously, which is probably what Hardy needed between Warrior and The Dark Knight Rises. Bring it on, i'll go see it :)

• MikeyRix

Dec 6th 2011, 12:06

Sure, I have an intention to get drunk before watching this film (the first trailer irritated me a LOT despite making me want to see it), and I do agree that Hardy could probably break Pine's back (see what I did there?) quite easily, but how can you tell with regards to things like chemistry from a two-minute trailer? You can't, not fully, anyway. All the same, I'm keeping an eye on 17th February...

Dec 6th 2011, 12:43

McG (with fries) is in that box marked 'low expectations director', the same box he shares with Len Wiseman, Brett Ratner and Paul 'not the respected one' Anderson, all of them are guilty of spreading mediocre shiiiit throughout their worthless careers.

• FBALee

Dec 6th 2011, 16:30

This leaves me underwhelmed. The whole concept is annoying.

Dec 6th 2011, 18:24

Can't blame Hardy for doing this, I am sure he needed some light relief after all the serious movies he's been doing lately.

Dec 6th 2011, 18:24

• DanRose

Dec 7th 2011, 14:29

looks like fun but the concept really annoys me. Basically slag dates two best mates... best mates fight over her?! What?? Surely you demand threesome, if that ain't working dump the two timing b***h and move on

• FBALee

Dec 8th 2011, 3:46

@DanRose- Precisely. I love the two leads, but really?!