Toby Kebbell criticises script for Akira remake

Tetsuo and Kaneda will be brothers

Akira, the remake of the classic animation, has come in for a new raft of criticism after Toby Kebbell publicly criticised the script for the floundering Warner Bros project.

Production has been halted for a while on the troubled reboot, with Warner instructing director Jaume Collet-Sera to do some more work on the script.

Kebbell was one of the actors asked to read for a part, and as a fan of the franchise, he was only too excited to do so. However, once he'd read the script, he soon felt differently.

"They were like, ‘This is going to be a big franchise!’” says Kebbell. “So I said, ‘Then in that case, understand that I’ve read the comics, and I’ve read the comics that got turned into the annuals, and then the annuals that got turned into the one-off anime. So if you really want to do it, then why don’t you look at the six comics and just put two into each film?’”

"I told them, ‘Then this is a remake [of the animated movie], and I don’t want to do a live-action remake of the cartoon, because [the cartoon] is perfect and you’re not going to do it dark enough — so therefore, I don’t want to do it."

All of which sounds pretty reasonable, but when he comes to discuss the finer details of the plot, things sound a bit more worrying.

"The other thing they wanted to do was make [Tetsuo and Kaneda] brothers,” he explains. “I was like, ‘The point is that Tetsuo can’t comprehend how someone who isn’t his brother could love him so much — and that’s where his wrath and his rage come from. Do you not see that? Why have you made them brothers? What the fuck are you doing?"

Couldn't have put it better ourselves, Toby. At present, Akira still remains in limbo, but given all the effort that has gone into it so far, don't expect them to give up on it any time soon...

How do you feel about Warner's proposed changes? Vent your spleen, below.

Comments

• Heisenberg

Mar 28th 2012, 10:07

Making them brothers...f**k me sideways. With this and the turtles being made aliens, my childhood heart is breaking.

• EddieFelson

Mar 28th 2012, 10:08

Well said

Mar 28th 2012, 10:09

Brilliant! Just goes to show how docile Hollywood execs really are. "Derp! But its based on a cartoon, yeah? Derp!"

• fipthetop

Mar 28th 2012, 10:09

Finally!!! About time someone said it - why they don't give these projects to directors / actors who know and understand the source material? However you can go too much the other way - Zack Snyder and watchmen for example

• Hythlodeus

Mar 28th 2012, 12:00

Where the f**** did Snyder understand the source material of Watchmen? That hack wasn't able to transfer any of the subtle nuances of the book to the scree, wasn't able to get the subtext, to read between the lines. Watchmen is one of the worst adaptation ever. Of course, Akira would take this spot if that movie ever happend.

• writerdave87

Mar 28th 2012, 20:36

I dunno, given the time constraints watchmen was a pretty decent stab at an adaptation. Casting and look was spot on and I preferred the film's ending

• trist808

Mar 29th 2012, 20:19

I personally hope this doesn't go ahead at all, let it die in limbo. The original animated version is superb, as is the source material and everything I've heard about this so far leads me to believe it would be an abomination of a film.

• DanRose

Mar 30th 2012, 17:25

Good on you Kebbell. Always thought you were a top man. Ever since that brilliant turn in Dead Man Shoes I have been interested to see where you went... Spot on about Akira. Hope this outburst doesn't effect his career...

• DanRose

Mar 30th 2012, 17:31

ps. I'll stick up for Watchman too. Having been a massive fan of the comic.. I thought he did a decent job. Anyone who had read the comic's would have seen how he admirably took images from the comic book and replicated the exact same look, style and even camera angle on the big screen...

• FBMLacey

May 2nd 2012, 2:30

Bothers?!! That is heresy!! If the writers have any respect for the original (which is quite possiby my favourite anime film ever!) they will do everything they can to stay true to it. Much respect to Kebbell for putting his foot down. I wish they would just kill this project, or at least scrap what they've done so far and start fresh, hopefully with less blasphemy!!