Tom Hardy talks his Dark Knight Rises role

“I’ve got to get up to 14 stone”

tom hardy

Tom Hardy has spoken out about his role in Chris Nolan’s soon-to-shoot Dark Knight Rises, revealing that he will be beefing up in preparation for the film.

The Inception and Bronson star appeared on Channel 4’s Alan Carr: Chatty Man, and cleared up any concerns that his portrayal of villain Bane will be anything like the character’s appearance in the critically bombed Batman & Robin.

“Chris Nolan, again, will revisit that territory entirely so I wouldn’t go by that [Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin],” the actor confirmed.

“Plus, that’s a lot of weight to put on and I’ve got to start shooting in May. So I’ve got to get back up to that [Bronson] size again and I’ve got to get up to about 13-and-a-half or 14 stone.

"I’m 12-and-a-bit now, so I’ve got three months to do that.”

Hardy’s Bane will appear in Rises as the nemesis of Batman, while Anne Hathaway has been recruited to play Catwoman.

The Dark Knight Rises opens 20 July, 2012.

Hardy? Or hardly? Think Hardy will be a great Bane? Tell us below...

Comments

• KittyD

Feb 22nd 2011, 12:02

Tom Hardy applies himself to everything he does with such a fervour I have no doubt in my mind he'll make a magnificent job of Bane. Mr H has an element about him almost of the chameleon. When I watch him on screen I actually forget it's him. He lives and breathes the role to such an extent he BECOMES that character in a way I've seen from no one else. When I see De Niro, Di Caprio, Philip Seymour Hoffman, ad infinitum, they always look like themselves playing someone else. Not with Tom Hardy. Watch him in Stuart: A Life Backwards and you'll soon forget who you're watching. Exciting things to come from this man!

• SiMan

Feb 22nd 2011, 13:51

My only slight concern about this character (and it is only slight) is that although he is an intelligent and formidable foe in the mental stakes, his main attribute is his physicality. Doesn't that mean that Batman's main confrontation is going to come down to a physical dual, rather than a mental one. I'm just not sure Nolan can do a 'Fisticuffs' action scene that well. The action scenes in TDK were brilliant don't get me wrong, but i never really thought he got the whole 'Batman is a skilled martial artist so doesn't need weapons' vibe that well.

Feb 22nd 2011, 14:19

You mean that bald bloke from Star Trek? Ha just jokin! Can't wait to see this

• gonzoBen

Feb 22nd 2011, 14:28

@SiMan good points about relying on his brute strength. I can't help but think Nolan has thought of that angle. I feel Nolan's handling of fight scenes in his Batman films are quite refreshing. They are immediate, brutal and claustrophobic. There has been a tendancy to *over* choregraph and *over* stylise fight scenes (especially in Comic Adaps) of late. Whilst that looks lovely, (Watchmen is a masterclass in slo-mo style and composition. Goosebump inducing infact) Nolan has always kept it as grounded as possible. I think that shouldn't be discredited, but certainly raises the odd question of whether he could do a Zack Snyder if needed to ;-) I wonder what angle Man oF Steel will take?

• SiMan

Feb 22nd 2011, 17:19

GonzoBen, I completely agree fight scenes can be overdone. The only (again slight) issue I have with Nolan's fight scenes is that it's almost hard to see what is going on. I understand it's supposed to be brutal and kinetic, but as seen in the bourne films it can also be done to show fighting prowess too. Best example from a batman point of view is the Hugo strange trailer for the arkham city game. It shows the batman taking down a group of armed men in a brutal, but graceful fashion. If that could be transported to film, I thing it would look great. But it's a fine line, and I'm not sure Nolan can manage it.

• gonzoBen

Feb 23rd 2011, 11:27

SiMan - Yes, very good point about Bourne. They are probably some of the best-fight scenes commited to film. But, yeah, ultimately it's a fine line :-)

• kejdouglas

Feb 25th 2011, 17:07

Tom Hardy is unbelievable in everything i've seen him in and I totally agree with KittyD. I can't wait to see him in this. People used to say very similar things about Heath Ledger (about him BECOMING the character) lets hope the same fate isn't waiting for Mr Hardy. I think he is fantastic actor and can't wait to see what else he does in his acting career.