Tom Hardy talks The Dark Knight Rises

Reassures fans over that voice…

The Dark Knight Rises is just months away from bursting into our screens, and Entertainment Weekly has got the lowdown from Tom Hardy on the burning question that seems to be troubling the majority of fans: will we be able to understand what Bane is saying?

"It’s a risk, because we could be laughed at," says Hardy of his uniquely accented character. "Or it could be very fresh and exciting. The audience mustn’t be too concerned about the mumbly voice. As the film progresses, I think you’ll be able to tune to its setting."

Meanwhile, Anne Hathaway has also had a few things to say about playing Catwoman, particularly the amount of work Christopher Nolan expected her to put in to the role.

“I had to physically transform,” says Hathaway. “Chris sat me down at the beginning and said, 'Joseph Gordon-Levitt did all of his own fighting in Inception. That one zero-gravity fight? He trained for two months.’ I basically left his office and went to the gym and just came out about five minutes ago."

As for Nolan himself, he also piped up to give his take on Hathaway's incarnation of Catwoman. "She has a very strong way of protecting herself and those she cares about," he explains, "which implies an underlying darkness."

Darkness? In Gotham? We won't believe it! The Dark Knight Rises opens in the UK on 20 July 2012.

Are you concerned about Bane's voice, or is it a fuss about nothing? Tell us, below.

Comments

• FBCRoe

Apr 12th 2012, 11:37

Everyone is going on about Banes voice....Seriously its not that hard to understand....Filmgoers will be so tuned to this epic finale they wont even notice and wil be lost in the sheer brilliance of this spectacle.....Once upon a time people were unsure about the casting of Heath Ledger as The Joker and look what happened he delivered one of the most memorable performances as comic book villain on screen.....I think people are starting to forget Chris Nolan is at the helm so fanboys shut up and enjoy the ride because this is going to be EPIC.....

• ChrisWootton

Apr 12th 2012, 11:42

Well said!

Apr 12th 2012, 12:19

I would love to hear Dan Castellaneta do Banes' voice dub... "Argh! A bat!"

Apr 12th 2012, 13:00

People whine about Christian Bale's Bat voice but it didn't stop the movies from being a financial and critical success. Even so Bane's voice did sound a bit incoherent in the Imax clip, it's a sound issue that could easily be fixed.

• FBCRoe

Apr 12th 2012, 13:17

If this movie doesnt break box office records i will eat my copy of The Dark Knight which by the way is signed by Chris Nolan himself.....

• alexr

Apr 12th 2012, 13:17

Completely agree with you all.

• Chufferstud

Apr 12th 2012, 13:26

I would imagine a mass of tubes covering anyone's mouth would muffle what came out, so it's kind of authentic. I'm sure it will all be ok on the (k)night - see what I did there :) I still think Batman will get killed at the end and JGL character will take over for the reboot and Justice League tie-in. But who knows? With this, Prometheus and Big Mommas House 4, I just can't take the suspense.

• Murphy0806

Apr 12th 2012, 14:17

There was a lot of background noise from the plane in the IMAX clip, in the trailer his voice was a little clearer so I think we'll be fine.

• FBJRider

Apr 12th 2012, 19:40

@Chufferstud, I liked where you were going but then you mentioned Big Momma's House 4. I seriously hope that was dry humour.

• Chufferstud

Apr 13th 2012, 18:50

My humour is drier than a desert, trust me :)

Apr 13th 2012, 21:47

I can't see Batman being killed off but I could see him being left physically unable to continue.