Tom Hiddleston confirms Loki’s presence in The Avengers

“It’s going to be me versus seven of them”

tom hiddleston

Tom Hiddleston gave great villain as evil god Loki in the newly-released Thor, and we should expect to see more of him in The Avengers.

Joss Whedon’s comic adap, which unites Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man, is currently deep in production (despite script leak problems).

And according to Hiddleston, he’ll also be joining the superhero fray, reprising his role as Thor’s insidious brother Loki.

“Well, I think it was a plan from the get-go, but it wasn’t really dead-set until near the end of Thor,” Hiddleston tells Vulture. “What was wonderful is that about four days after I wrapped on Thor, I went out for a cup of tea with Joss Whedon.

“We sat down at two o’clock in the afternoon, and we were still sitting there at six o’clock. He said, ‘Listen, you’ve lived with this guy for six months. I want you to spill the beans and tell me all of his dark secrets. Who is this guy? Why is he who he is?’”

Hiddleston goes on to add that his version of the character “accorded with Joss’ idea of the character, too”, before adding:

“I’m really so flattered that Marvel and Joss think I can take them all on. In Avengers, it’s going to be me versus seven of them, and I say ‘Good luck to them,’ frankly.”

Glad to see Loki returning for Avengers? Or did you have another villain in mind for the superhero collective? Drop your comments below...

Comments

• ChrisWootton

May 3rd 2011, 10:40

So he survives Thor then?..... Cheers, haven't seen it yet.

• ChrisWootton

May 3rd 2011, 10:40

So he survives Thor then?..... Cheers, haven't seen it yet.

• TwoBobRuss

May 3rd 2011, 10:55

Chris, you need to stay for after the end credits (as is the trend)

• therealeverton

May 3rd 2011, 11:38

Chris....to be fair to Total Film, a major announcement on the production star for The Avengers was made last week by Marvel Studios. It included a list of the main stars, including Hiddleston. Like the guy says, when you go make sure to stay until the end of the credits. It's well worth it.

• ChrisWootton

May 3rd 2011, 11:44

Cool, I wasn't having a pop at TF, mainly Marvel... looking forward to Thor.. is it as good as the critics are saying?

• writerdave87

May 3rd 2011, 12:52

'Tom Hiddleston gave us a great villain'... wasn't Total Film one of the few reviews that sat on the fence and called him 'underwhelming'?

• SiMan

May 3rd 2011, 13:37

I thought he played his part well, but he wasn't a big enough threat against Thor. he got his a** handed to him too easily and there wasn't a big enough menace from him. That's probably more to do with Thor story than Hiddleston's performance, but i don't see him being that much of a threat to the Avengers.

• therealeverton

May 3rd 2011, 15:01

So far the public reaction has actually been better than the critics, who mostly liked it. It is very cool, a lot of fun and the drama at the heart (with the trinity of Odin, Loki and Thor) was very good. SiMan. I'm not sure I agree with you about Loki. Firstly 'Hiddleston played him very well. Secondly someone who is responsable for numerous deaths and may or may not (attempting to avoid spoilers here for Chris and others) destroy an entire planet is pretty threatening to me. The threat or lack of threat to Thor is one of the things that makes the drama of Thor interesting. Whatever else is going on in Loki's head Thor is his brother; does he ever really want to kill him? Does he ever really go full out 100% to end Thor's life? If you think about it Loki sets himself against, Odin, Thor, Frost Giants; the ones he really wants to destroy he kills in pretty big numbers, the ones he doesn't kill, he was holding back. He managed to be a decent physical threat for Thor, but Like is never, in comics or mythology, Thor's equal in battle, it's his wits that count and the thought of what he could do with the item object / person in ther post credits scene IF he now feels no loyalty to Thor or Odin is pretty Mouth Watering. Plus you forget that he still has the ability to turn the Frost Giants, demons and other creatures in the 9 realms into an army. Other items to steal from Odin's vault, more powerful than the Caskt=et of Winters and Mjolnir and any number of other aliens and super villains to control. I know he says it's just him, but given the tricks Loki uses "just him" doesn't mean just him.

• therealeverton

May 3rd 2011, 15:10

Chris I agree about Marvel: I know they had to start filming The Avengers before Thor was released in the States, but some Nolanesque secrecy and misdirection would have been nice, instead of telling everyone, whatever happens in Thor you know Lik aint gonna die, because he's in the Avengers. Also because of the way Branagh directed him and the performance he gave, subtlety, no theatrics and pantomime, Loki is my favourite comic book villain now. I look forward to seeing him withh more to do.

• therealeverton

May 3rd 2011, 15:10

• ChrisWootton

May 3rd 2011, 15:44

Cool, thanks guys and therealeverton appreciate the non spoiler post.. good skills my friend. Ticket is booked

May 3rd 2011, 20:58

Tom Hiddleston was great in Thor, he really embraced the cunning and devious side of Loki. He'll make a great villain for The Avengers.

• therealeverton

May 3rd 2011, 21:59

No worries Chris, I hope you enjoy it. With this , Spielberg's Warhorse and The Avengers it looks like Hiddleston could get thye breakout he deserves. The dowwnside is that between that and Marvel (I'm assuming given Thor raced to just under $100m by Sunday) will be after Branagh for Thor 2, we may be a loooooong way away from seeing Branagh and Hiddleston in Wallander!

• Strummer

May 6th 2011, 17:34

therealeverton, being a long way from seeing Branagh and Hiddleston in Wallander is not a downside - the BBC Wallender is pale and insipid at the side of the superb Swedish original. Thor is blinding though, and Hiddleston is ace.

• Strummer