Tony Scott dies after fatal bridge jump

Death being treated as a suicide

The director Tony Scott has died after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, as  confirmed by the LA County Coroner's office. He was 68 years old.

The British-born helmer, father of two and younger brother of fellow director Ridley Scott, was seen by witnesses parking his car near the Vincent Thomas Bridge on Sunday lunchtime, before climbing a fence on the structure's south side and jumping off.

A suicide note was later discovered from the man responsible for such action classics as Top Gun, Days Of Thunder and True Romance. A representative of the Coroner's office said, "we have no reason to believe it was not a suicide."

“I can confirm that Tony Scott has indeed passed away,” said his publicist, Simon Halls. “The family asks that their privacy be respected at this time." Meanwhile, several of his Hollywood contemporaries took to Twitter to express their condolences.

"Just heard the news about Tony Scott," said Moon director Duncan Jones. "Horrible... Tony was a truly lovely man who took me under his wing & ignited my passion to make films." Ron Howard was even more succinct: "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."

Our thoughts are with the Scott family at this sad time.

What are your favourite memories of Tony Scott and his work? Share them with us, below.

Comments

• piffle

Aug 20th 2012, 7:24

Deeply sad. The majority of his films are a bit too "boys own" to be to my taste, but its incredibly tragic when a man with so much left to give feels the need to end it all. My thoughts are with his wife, children, and the rest of his family.

• nacho316

Aug 20th 2012, 8:01

Sad the thought of doing top gun 2 with tom cruise was just too overwhelming! He isn't an ex scientoligist by any chance? bad things happen to ex scientoligists! No but seriously sad stuff ;(

• bencobra

Aug 20th 2012, 8:31

@nancho316 your comments are completely moronic and insensitive. This is horrible for his family. RIP Tony Scott.

• piffle

Aug 20th 2012, 8:41

@nacho316, mate your timing is completely inappropriate. A man's just died, give it a bit of time before trying (badly) to mine humour out of the situation.

Aug 20th 2012, 8:54

Great man, great talent. The films he did with Denzel Washington (Crimson Tide, Man of Fire, Unstoppable) are some of my favourites. He will be missed. RIP.

• Slattery

Aug 20th 2012, 8:57

@nacho: you're a tw@t RIP Tony Scott

• fortunesfool

Aug 20th 2012, 9:07

He was never the subtlest of film-makers but you always knew you were watching a Tony Scott film. Top Gun alone has cemented his place in movie history. Wherever he is now, i'm sure he's applying some coloured filters and a smoke machine to make it look better. RIP Tony Scott

• grebbster

Aug 20th 2012, 9:15

if he was to remembered for just one scene let it be the Christopher Walken/ Dennis Hopper acting masterclass in True Romance, a truly sad loss for the movie industry and film fans all over the world. p.s nacho316 im with Slattery's opinion you are an insensitive dog W@nker.

• mcghater

Aug 20th 2012, 10:02

get of nachos back hes only saying what we were all thinking lmao top gun 2...............in any case ridley is the better film maker so no great loss

• bencobra

Aug 20th 2012, 10:12

@mcghater your a bigger moron than nacho for writing this. Can people not just leave tributes rather than being degenerate @rseholes.

• nacho316

Aug 20th 2012, 10:17

@mcghater..........you know who else is laughing their a*s off?

• thedanieljson

Aug 20th 2012, 10:17

A man who really knew how to put bombast into his film making, his movies never fell short of being wildly entertaining. It's sad to lose him.

• ChrisWootton

Aug 20th 2012, 10:20

Christ guys, what's wrong with you? A man has died, try and show some respect.

• Murphy0806

Aug 20th 2012, 10:34

Cheers Tony, you made some tremendous films. I never thought you would make one better than Crimson Tide, ever. Then came Man on Fire. Blew me away. RIP

• jaykays hat

Aug 20th 2012, 11:08

Very sad news indeed. I'm a big fan of Tony Scott's style of direction, loved Top Gun, True Romance and Man on Fire. The last time I had tickets from Show film first was for his film Unstoppable of which I really enjoyed. RIP Tony:-(

• Scurf

Aug 20th 2012, 11:30

For me, Tony Scott was responsible for my all time favorite film True Romance. His visual flare was all over it as well as a dream cast, perfect script, and a brilliant soundtrack including Hanz Zimmer's delicate score that we stole for our wedding. A genuine loss for cinema.

• dex2010

Aug 20th 2012, 11:35

What a true legend! love his films. RIP Tony. @nacho316 grow up and learn some respect.

• Scurf

Aug 20th 2012, 11:37

PS, i like how Lynx shower gels have sponsored the picture in your obituary. Probably an oversight but perhaps remove the ads for something of this ilk?

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 20th 2012, 11:37

Thank you Tony. You gave me some of the best films during my teens. True Romance will always have a place on my DVD shelf and therefore I will always remember you. That means you will live forever...just being remembered.

• mcghater

Aug 20th 2012, 11:53

@nacho...........MY MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 20th 2012, 12:32

What a shock to hear, I've always enjoyed watching Tony's movies :-( Say what you will about Top Gun but it's a classic.

• FBJBrown22

Aug 20th 2012, 13:03

jesus f*****g christ, get off Nachos back he was making a joke, have all you high moral police never made a sick joke? and anyway stop being so f*****g sensitive, i doubt any of you ever met Tony Scott never mind knew him. Yes its tragic that anyone takes their own life and Tony Scott was a great talent who will be missed. There are soldiers being killed every day out in Afghanistan, i think they deserve your public grief more than Tony Scott. Just my opinion mind.

• SiMan

Aug 20th 2012, 13:05

Completely out of the blue this. Wasn't he linked to some upcoming movies too (Nemesis springs to mind). He always has a vibrant Kinetic energy in his movies, but an underlying sense of story-telling. He was like a Michael Bay, but with some self-control. RIP Tony.

Aug 20th 2012, 13:21

It didnt take TF long to shove this off the front page, but we still have to suffer Alex Zanes' constipated mug? Cheers.

Aug 20th 2012, 14:37

I am sure TF will be working on a feature for Tony right at this moment.

• smellyhands

Aug 20th 2012, 14:43

The poor soul. Hope your at peace brother. Rip. Thoughts are with your family.

• loveroflostgirl

Aug 20th 2012, 14:52

thoughts are with his family at this time, let us hope that for once the media show some respect and allow them to grieve in privacy. R.I.P Mr Scott

• MadMatt

Aug 20th 2012, 16:02

I'm absolutely gutted. This feels surreal; what terrible, terrible news. Critics and snobs might not have loved him, but audiences certainly did. We'll miss you Tony. Rest in peace.

• DravenCage

Aug 20th 2012, 17:40

@FBJBrown22 - Just because people are commenting about their feelings on the death of Tony Scott (in the comments section of an article about Tony Scott, just in case that little fact slipped your mind), it doesn't mean that these same people don't also have sympathy for dead / injured soldiers. It's not a mutually-exclusive situation and, as an aside, you make a remark about "not even having met Tony Scott" and then state that we should have more sympathy for soldiers... who are people we haven't met either. RIP Tony.

• FBJBrown22

Aug 20th 2012, 18:15

@DraveCage - I think you missed the point i was making, im not slating people for saying they are sorry about his death, what i was getting at was some of the abuse Nacho 316 was getting for his comment, yes Tony Scotts death is sad but but some people were getting a bit over sensitive about a comment made regarding a guy who makes films. The point i made about soldiers is the fact that they are out fighting a war rightly or wrongly to protect us, yet many people are happy to show complete apathy about it. and you havent met any soldiers, really? Also i was only using the comparison to soldiers as an example, i could have used any number, i just dont get the fact that someone who is in the public eye deserves a higher outpouring of grief than others. Yes i do appreciate that it is a thread about his death and i for one enjoyed his movies.

• SteveMcc

Aug 20th 2012, 20:28

Terrible news, I always looked forward to a Tony Scott film because they were normally all edge of your seat thrill rides! I know a few people who have been lucky enough to meet the man out and about with them all commenting on how friendly and approachable he was, even in one case paying for said friends Dinner and bar bill! I will have a pint in his memory and stick 'True Romance' on my TV when I get home in memory of he man. RIP

• FBJRider

Aug 21st 2012, 0:49

When I saw the headline at a glance I thought it said Ridley Scott, that saddened me more but still my respects to his family at a time like this. I hope they'll be okay.

• gquinn81

Aug 21st 2012, 9:29

Great director. Responsible for one of my all time favourite films in True Romance, an absolute classic. All of the above arguments are irrelevant, what IS sad, is that we'll never get to see another Tony Scott film.

• alexr

Aug 21st 2012, 11:32

It's wierd. I never really acknowledged how much of an impact Tony Scott movies had on my life until I read a list of his films yesterday. It's sad that, for me (as with many people out there) he may have been my favourite modern director, and I hadn't realised it until he was gone. Top Gun, True Romance, Man on Fire, Unstoppable, Deja Vu, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, The Last Boy Scout, Spy Game, and Beverly Hills Cop 2. I loved all of them and have seen them countless times... Just need to go back and watch The Hunger, The Taking of Pelham 123, Revenge and Domino. As for The Fan, saw it in the cinema and have forgotten most of it now, but I'll give it another go. The less said about Days of Thunder, the better. I made my wife watch Unstoppable last night - she loved it. Which is high praise coming from her.... RIP Tony Scott.

• Kellend11

Aug 21st 2012, 12:22

Such horrid news, hopefully he is in a better place now where he can rest in peace. I remember my dad watching Man On Fire over and over again, he must know it word for word! A brilliant man with his own brilliant style. Condolences to his family and friends. Also @Scurf, I find it rather amazing that you used a Hans Zimmer score at your wedding, might have to pinch that idea when I get married!

• MadMatt

Aug 21st 2012, 15:02

@Scurf/@Kellend11 - Considering Hans Zimmer stole the score for True Romance from Carl Orff/Badlands, I don't think anyone needs to worry about pinching any ideas! ;) Joking aside, it works wonderfully in that movie and gives it a real fairytale quality.