Top Gun 2 is a go

Tom Cruise to briefly reprise Maverick role

Top Gun isn’t exactly a film that’s been crying out for a sequel – but when has that ever stopped studio bigwigs?

So, yes, Top Gun 2 is officially in the works 24 years after its 1986 predecessor, and by all accounts it’s something of a passion project for plane-obsessed director David Ellison.

Having directed Flyboys, the World War I drama that flew under most peoples’ radars on its 2006 release, Ellison has set up shop with a second Top Gun and hired Oscar-winning scripter Christopher McQuarrie to write a draft.

Paramount seem keen on the idea, having also extended a directing offer to original helmer Tony Scott, while Tom Cruise is also said to be making a return cameo as Maverick - so long as the role isn’t too “obvious”.

But surely the more important return star would be Val Kilmer, whose profile may not be what it used to be, but who has proved he’s still got it with films like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Bad Lieutenant and MacGruber.

Either way, it's definitely time to go aviator shopping and work on our plucky banter…

Do you feel the need for Gun 2, or should it be cut off now? Tell us below...

In cinemas this week…

Comments

• garyu2

Oct 14th 2010, 10:27

Nah, it will be a p**s-poor sequel. Abit like Indy 4, big on budget, low on substance and -crucially- fun. Always hated returning characters doing 'cameos' aswell. Pointless.

• niannah

Oct 14th 2010, 11:45

I hope they just go with the whole Top Gun homoerotics and make this Brokeback Top Gun. THAT's a movie I'd watch. Otherwise I reckon I'll be skipping this one.

• Jrdnsans1792

Oct 14th 2010, 12:31

No. Just No. No doubt this is just going to be another c**p and completely pointless sequel. The first film itself wasn't even very good, this is hardly going to be any better, i'll be giving this one a miss.

• zachapman85

Oct 14th 2010, 14:22

Top Gun is too firmly placed in our minds as a cult classic! What made it a classic was young Cruise and the 80's music. If you could re-create that, adding in some testosterone filled machismo, then it would be a success.

Oct 15th 2010, 7:11

Search youtube for Tarantino's thoughts on Top Gun.

• zpider242

Oct 15th 2010, 14:15

The first Top Gun is in my list of most hated movies of all time so I won't be at all bothered if it never happens.

• higgins78

Oct 15th 2010, 14:42

Top Gun only worked on the premise "so bad it was good", I cant begin to imagine what ideas have crawled into somebody's pea sized brain that the notion Top Gun needed a sequel was palatable.

Oct 16th 2010, 7:33

" you can be my wingman anytime." " Hard deck my a*s."

• Area51

Oct 16th 2010, 15:33

this sequel is not needed. it's a f*****g terrible idea. i'd rather kill a child than ask someone to go with me to watch this hellish idea of a film and waste whatever hours & minutes are lost. If Cruise does this he has actually confirmed what a f**k up the press already thinks he is.