Total Recall reboot lands Bryan Cranston as villain

He’ll play Vilos Cohaagen

total recall

Total Recall has just received a hefty injection of cool with the casting of Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston.

The reboot – which is being helmed by Underworld's Len Wiseman – has landed Emmy-winning Cranston as the film’s main villain and foil to Colin Farrell’s hero.

Heat Vision have the plot for the movie, which reveals that Cranston will play Vilos Cohaagen, the leader of nation state Euromerica, who is secretly preparing to invade New Shanghai.

Meanwhile, Douglas Quaid (Farrell) is a factory worker in New Shanghai who starts to wonder if he’s really a spy.

No mention of Mars yet, but this plot sounds suitably different from the Arnie version, though with a consistent thread involving spies and the suppression of certain peoples.

Expect the next big casting announcement to be who'll play the two ladies in Quaid's life, with Eva Mendes and Jessica Biel among those being considered.

Recall? Or radical? Liking the sound of the Total Recall reboot? Sound off below...

Comments

• Attila

Mar 31st 2011, 8:59

I imagine Cranston will be awesome as Cohaagen! Although I'm not sure if the story can be told any better, I'm anxious to see the reboot.

• ChrisWootton

Mar 31st 2011, 9:21

So it's not Mars bur Euromerica (that sounds a bit s**t), it sounds exactly the same as the original and as Attila rightly says, it really can't be told any better. I sense an epic Len Wiseman sized fail

• gholterman81

Mar 31st 2011, 10:52

I don't see how anything about this remake could be an improvement on the original - why butcher a classic movie and turn it into sh*t?

• DanRose

Mar 31st 2011, 23:57

More like Bryan Cranston the guy who plays the absolutely brilliant Walter White in Breaking Bad... He's excellent and should bring really quality to the part

Apr 1st 2011, 0:42

+1 Dan Rose. Breaking Bad is a fantastic show, shame on Five and FX for not showing the third series.

• writerdave87

Apr 1st 2011, 9:22

Dalidab considering you constantly (seriously!) suggest Justin Bieber and George Sampson for completely unsuitable roles on a regular basis you might want to think twice before laying into a very talented emmy award-winning ACTOR for a casting choice...

• writerdave87

Apr 1st 2011, 16:26

Not at all, but you can't suggest putting those two teenage acting nonentities in everything from blade runner prequels to action movies and then in the same breath say a talented and versatile actor isn't right for a role. And I guess you have the right to make your casting choices based on who you want to bone, but that doesn't stop it being more than a little creepy.

• TheEnigma

Apr 2nd 2011, 17:51

writerdave needs 2 take a chill pill on this one, as most of us here have learned to appreciate dalidab's passionate but zany comments on more than a few occasions... @dalidab, relax, n keep commenting, no biggie.. (btw this Total Recall remake sounds pointless n silly to start with)...

• writerdave87

Apr 2nd 2011, 23:20

I would prefer to actually discuss the films too believe it or not ;) Dalidab fair enough on difference in opinions of actors (remember I have actually agreed with you on many occasions) but I would appreciate it if you stopped insinuating the reason I've been in a mood with you is that I'm homophobic. I'm not, I'm exactly the opposite. If you're out, loud and proud, good for you, but I'm more private. Listing dozens of teenage boys you find hot is not, as it happens, every confident gay man's thing. If you want to slobber over bieber and the other teenagers, knock yourself out. They're not my cup of tea and if they were I wouldn't go on about it ad nauseum on a website. But running away crying 'homophobe' at anyone who disagrees with you makes the rest of us look pathetic. I haven't seen anyone on this site attack you over your sexuality- if they did I would be the first to defend you. In the meantime, lets just draw a line under this and move on, ok?

• writerdave87

Apr 2nd 2011, 23:40

George Sampson should so be in the Expendables 2 ;)