He might not have a huge following in the UK, but writer/director/actor Tyler Perry certainly enjoys success across the pond - his latest, I Can Do Bad All By Myself, opened in first place this weekend.
The drama made $24 million, which meant that animated adventure 9, which arrived on Wednesday, had to make do with second place and $10.8 million.
The rest of the top five were already in place - in third, Inglourious Basterds soared past $100 million, adding $6.5 million to its total, while All about Steve took fourth place with $5.8 million and The Final Destination settled into fifth with $5.5 million.
Just outside the top of the charts were new arrivals Sorority Row ($5.2 million) and the distinctly dodgy Whiteout ($5.1 million).
The top 10:
- Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself ($24 million)
- 9 ($10.8 million)
- Inglourious Basterds ($6.5 million)
- All About Steve ($5.8 million)
- The Final Destination ($5.5 million)
- Sorority Row ($5.2 million)
- Whiteout ($5.1 million)
- District 9 ($3.6 million)
- Julie & Julia ($3.3 million)
- Gamer ($3.1 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]