Van Helsing will be a total reboot

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci outline their plans

Van Helsing will be the latest monster movie to receive a shiny new reboot, with Universal commissioning Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to knock together a script freshening up the legendary vampire hunter.

With Tom Cruise in place to star, Kurtzman has been discussing what their aim is for this new version of a property last seen in 2004. And from the sounds of it, a total do-over seemingly the order of the day.

"I don’t want to give away too much" he says, "because we are actually at the very beginning of talking about what to do with it. But I do feel like the Van Helsing that Anthony Hopkins plays in [Bram Stoker’s] Dracula is sort of the parody version of it, and the Van Helsing that Hugh Jackman played was obviously in a different place as well. I think that these kinds of movies have evolved a lot since then."

"The Dark Knight was a major, major corner-turning moment in the way that genre and superhero stories could be told," he continues. "Really grounded in reality. Really grounded in really cool things. That’s what I’d like to do without sacrificing the fantasy element. We aspired to do that as well on Star Trek, and we’d love to do that with Van Helsing."

With a rebooted version of The Mummyalso on their agenda, it should be a busy period for Kurtzman and Orci, and a profitable one for Universal. The monsters are back in business...

Are you keen on the idea of a Van Helsing reboot? Tell us below!

Comments

Jun 27th 2012, 12:13

Tell us something we don't know.

• Venny0492

Jun 27th 2012, 12:41

wouldnt mind a reboot, not Tom Cruise though....The mummy reboot would be good but must be more of Horror

• SiMan

Jun 27th 2012, 13:10

So a grounded film based in reality, but keeping the fantasy elements like Dracula and the Wolfman. Yeah, that'll work. I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with the concept of Jackman's film - an all-out action man is how i'd expect someone who battles these creatures to be like and i thought the fact that he worked for the church was a neat idea - it just wasn't executed well enough as a film, especially the last act. Wouldn't mnd seeing an action orientated re-boot.

• EddieFelson

Jun 27th 2012, 13:11

All Rubbish might as well let it die!

• ChrisWootton

Jun 27th 2012, 13:22

The Hugh Jackman one made me feel sick. There was no character development, just constant action scenes (some of which were pretty good). I quite enjoyed the Mummy but agree that if they reboot it should be more horror orientated.

• bencobra

Jun 27th 2012, 14:01

These comic-book adaptations are just getting well out of hand. Don't get me wrong there has been some great ones (Nolan's Batman series, Iron Man, Spiderman), however are we at the point where every comic book is going to be adapted or remade.

• alexr

Jun 27th 2012, 15:53

@bencobra If we are at that point, they could do a lot worse than SUPERIOR by Mark Miller...Check it out...

• bencobra

Jun 27th 2012, 15:59

@alex r. I was unaware of this. Looks very interesting. I will check it out. Cheers

• FBJRider

Jun 27th 2012, 18:06

Don't think Cruise is the man for this, and as long as they don't do that silky looking skin falling off the werewolf this time I'll be happy.

Jun 27th 2012, 19:37

The only good thing about the Hugh Jackman movie was watching Kate Beckinsale walk around in tight leather pants.

• EddieFelson

Jun 29th 2012, 10:09

@Ali1748 I think that's why the Underworld movies keep getting made!

• alexr

Jul 2nd 2012, 14:49

@EddieFelson If there was no Underworld, would Kate Beckinsale still have a career? I know she'd probably still be with Michael Sheen...