Warner Bros eyeing an A-list director for Twilight Zone movie

Nolan, Bay and Cuarón on the wish list

According to a report by Variety, Warner Bros have set their sights high for the new take on Twilight Zone, with Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay and Alfonso Cuarón on the directorial wish list.

Although, for this version, WB aren't looking for the directors to tackle a segment each as a part of a portmanteau piece; they want one person to helm a single-storyline feature (unlike the 1983 version).

Nolan is apparently the favourite, not surprising given his track record with the studio, but Variety suggests he might be put off by the film's similarity to Inception.

It's also hard to imagine Nolan taking on a project that he hasn't had total creative control over at this stage in his career.

WB are said to be keen to work with Bay, and Cuarón has history with the studio, having recently shot Gravity for them (and let's not forget his work on Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban).

Also in the mix is Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' Rupert Wyatt, who's described as the "dark horse" after the success (critical and commercial) of that movie this summer.

It's hard to imagine Bay generating spooks with any kind of subtlety, whereas we know Cuarón can create atmosphere to spare. It'd also be nice to see Wyatt given the reins on another big project.

Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way is also producing duty, although there's no hint at a release date for the new Twilight Zone yet.

Which director would be your first choice for a Twilight Zone movie? Or should they have stuck to the 'segments' approach? Let us know!

Comments

• MadMatt

Oct 1st 2011, 15:20

How about John Landis? I'll get me coat...

• writerdave87

Oct 1st 2011, 22:33

If Landis is allowed to be within a hundred yards of this film after that s**t he pulled, I'll eat my own foot.

• MadMatt

Oct 2nd 2011, 2:39

@dalidab - No, what writerdave87 is referring to is the infamous legal case that arose around the first movie adaptation of the series and Landis' allegedly negligent behaviour that led to the death of three actors, two of them children, in a helicopter stunt that went wrong. I was making a bad taste joke by suggesting him... although I am a big fan of his work despite it all.

• writerdave87

Oct 2nd 2011, 11:29

Um, what? Spielberg wasn't f*****g involved with that segment, you pillock. LANDIS was the director of that segment. Spielberg actually publically argued with him over the fact he had live explosives and ammo on the set, and thought he was reckless. Stop arbitrarily putting the blame on Spielberg and kissing Landis' a*s you ignorant little prick, you clearly know absolutely nothing about what happened so just shut up.

• Murphy0806

Oct 2nd 2011, 12:50

Landis hid everything from Spielberg. He even paid the families of the kids out of petty cash so they wouldn't be on the books as it was illegal for child actors to be on set after curfew. Yes there were others involved but he knew what he was doing. As for him being reckless, you just have to read about some of the things he said on set. Shouting for the helicopter to fly lower when it was already far too low. "You ain't seen nothing yet" when someone commented on the size of the explosions. Best of all though was his remark at Vic Morrow's funeral. Making sure everyone knew that Vic took him aside before that infamous take to thank him for the opportunity of playing that role. a*****e and a distinctly average film maker. He had good success in the 80's, I like Trading Places and An American Werewolf in London as much as the next person but he hasn't made anything decent in over 20 years. @dalidab. Yet again you seem to be commenting on something you know very little about. You have the internet at your fingertips dude, just check out some articles other that wikipedia before you post.

• writerdave87

Oct 2nd 2011, 13:40

Christ, I didn't hear about him saying that at Morrow's funeral. What a prize c**t. And yeah Dalidab, I'd say maybe you shouldn't post about something you know nothing about, but that'd mean you wouldn't post about anything except how much you want to f**k young boys, which you talk quite enough about already.

• writerdave87

Oct 2nd 2011, 16:39

In that case then your best is pathetic. It'd be less embarrassing for you to just admit you spout any old verbal diarrhoea that pops into your abnormally large head, as that's what it usually looks like. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't constantly act like an insufferable knowitall- we all get it wrong (hell I learnt yesterday Craven didn't actually come up with the idea for the Scream films), but considering how often you show yourself up to be almost totally ignorant/outright stupid I have no idea how you can be such a sanctimonius arrogant c**t.

• MadMatt

Oct 2nd 2011, 22:37

Whoa. If I'd known the little s**tstorm my joke would kick off I would've kept my mouth shut... As far as Landis goes, you can't discount his work just because you dislike or are shocked by his behaviour in real life. It's like refusing to watch a masterpiece like Chinatown because the director Roman Polanski is a child rapist. All his 70s and 80s movies are excellent, and his TV work in the 90s (Dream On) is as well. Not to mention his helming of the greatest music video ever, Thriller. His commentaries over at Trailers from Hell are knowledgeable and funny and I do like him a lot, but the consequences of his arrogance and recklessness on the original TZ movie are understandably hard to forgive. We'll never know all the details exactly, as the book written about the trial has been discredited by some as inaccurate and biased - Spielberg was apparently not on set at all for that shoot, and when you consider that same year he was shooting and editing E.T. and producing/'ghost-directing' Poltergeist as well, it's perfectly plausible that he was far too busy to be aware of what Landis was up to. He was only sued - along with the studio - by the accident victims' family because he was the producer and the 'big scalp' that all ambulance-chasing lawyers would be keen to get their claws into. You can't blame Spielberg for any of this, dalidab... Anyway, back on topic, I'll be stunned if Nolan signs up for this. Warners might WANT him for it, but that's like me saying I want to do the horizontal boogie with Heidi Klum. Ain't gonna happen!

• writerdave87

Oct 2nd 2011, 23:33

Oh right I just got off the phone with Heidi's people and apparently she was up for it... but I digress. Yeah I'm not disparaging Landis' work (you can enjoy films regardless of the private lives of the stars or director), but Landis the man falls pretty far short in a lot of areas. Like Polanski and Gibson I have a hard time not feeling a bit guilty about enjoying their work now.

• MadMatt

Oct 3rd 2011, 0:03

I know exactly what you mean, writerdave87. And if Heidi calls back give her my number! ;)

• writerdave87

Oct 3rd 2011, 1:04

Mine now. Now I shall stop making these sort of evil mysogenistic vile disgusting jokes before dalidab dispatches his mutated-Jarvis Cocker- lookalike brother to kill me...

• StevePotter

Oct 3rd 2011, 1:08

How has no one commented on the fact that MICHAEL BAY needs to keep away from The Twilight Zone! I'm not a dedicated Bay Hater (I enjoyed the first and third Transformers), but I don't know if he can do intellectual. Christopher Nolan, yeah, I'd love him directing this. Alfonso? I didn't care for Prisoner of Azkaban, but I heard his other movies are pretty good. My only problem is that he'd go for odd and unusual sets. I LOVE those sorts of sets and visuals, but I don't think it'd work with The Twilight Zone, whose weirdness comes more from ideas than visuals. I haven't seen the 1983 film, but I heard it's not very good if you love the show, which I do. I've always wanted to see the Twilight Zone make a true revival, but they need to find someone who can either imitate Rod Serling's voice perfectly (it's actually not that hard to do) or find someone COOLER than Rod Serling. Does someone like that exist? Maybe Sean Connery or Morgan Freeman.

• writerdave87

Oct 3rd 2011, 9:59

For the love of god just GO AWAY.

• alexr

Oct 4th 2011, 8:33

Is there any comments section that Dalidab hasn't caused an arguement in?! I may be new here, but I'm starting to think I should go back to the Empire forums...

• alexr

Oct 4th 2011, 8:34

Maybe Landis could direct the next Twilight movie instead. Maybe he could crash a helicopter on K-Stew and R-Patz...